• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Divinity: OS - EE |OT| No one has as many friends as the man with many cheeses!

patapuf

Same here. I still find this game a little too overwhelming to play right now.

I've played that tutorial dungeon like 4 times now but every time I exit and get into that somewhat large battle soon after, I find that my party composition is... poorly chosen. I feel like I need to read some basic tips on character creation and skill choices. But with my limited time to play games, I'd like something I can just jump into and get going.

It seems like a great game though :(

You really don't need an ideal party, you aren't hard locked into any choices since the game has no fixed class system, (you will want to specialize eventually but at least on normal you have plenty of room to experiment with non-ideal choices).

The beginning of the game is not easy because you aren't familiar with the systems yet. Experiment! Use the scrolls you find liberally, try out your various spells and read up on the secondary effects they have. If an unexpected explosion or something of the sort happens pay attention to the environments. Speaking of the environment: some barels explode, clouds can provide cover, oil is great crowd control ect.

Just power through that first big fight, you'll find lots of stuff in the first town, including companions that will compensate whatever wholes your party has.

ChanMan

Classes aren't that important to be honest. They are just pre-made builds. Feel free to customize them to your liking.

That is the issue lol not even sure where to start. What is the standard mage class Battlemage, Wizard or Witch. What do all these attributes mean? I am also a little tired from work so when I opened up the CAC screen my brain almost exploded looking at all that text haha. I'll probably take a nap and play later.

Classes aren't that important to be honest. They are just pre-made builds. Feel free to customize them to your liking.

Yeah, classes don't even matter, to the point where even including them is a negative. Do it like how Elder Scrolls does it: show you a bunch of archetypes but also have one that you can name yourself.

Anno

That is the issue lol not even sure where to start. What is the standard mage class Battlemage, Wizard or Witch. What do all these attributes mean? I am also a little tired from work so when I opened up the CAC screen my brain almost exploded looking at all that text haha. I'll probably take a nap and play later.

Wizard is a good starting point if you want to just cash spells. Battlemage has less magic but some more martial power. Witch just has different kinds of magic than the elemental powers. And if you don't like them you can just skill onto other categories as you go. There are a ton of options but they really aren't critical at the beginning if you're playing the standard game.

vocab

Battlemage - melee/fire magic.
Wizard - Geomancer/Pyro
Witch - Geomancer/witchcraft

That's what they start out with. It's a classless system for the most part because you can make whatever you want.

I continuously got my ass handed to me on the first fight in tactician mode, I played through it five times but couldn't get through it without having to revive a party member. I'm debating whether or not to rough it out because I know the game gets significantly easier after getting a full party.

I'm really not impressed with the enchanter archetype as they seem to have no starting AOE attacks which were EXTREMELY helpful early on in the vanilla game.

I continuously got my ass handed to me on the first fight in tactician mode, I played through it five times but couldn't get through it without having to revive a party member. I'm debating whether or not to rough it out because I know the game gets significantly easier after getting a full party.

I'm really not impressed with the enchanter archetype as they seem to have no starting AOE attacks which were EXTREMELY helpful early on in the vanilla game.

I recommend taking a summon spell in character creation. Spider can tank the two archers spawned behind you and keep them off your mage. I went with knight and a fire/earth mage. Battering Ram for crowd control and the spider made it pretty easy.

No one really has any aoe at that point of the game. Warriors used to have Dust Devil but they removed those unique skills.

After remaking my party I did the first fight pretty easily. You want a mage(obviously) with 1pt in earth for the spider pet, it's potentially doable without but it makes a huge difference since it'll soak damage for like 3turns while still doing some damage. You'll want 1pt in every school for various buffs anyway regardless, it's cheap and gives access to 3 spells and every school as 3 good tier1 spells. Unless you want to max a school asap, I'd also say get 1water for the heal in case you get poisonned, and then 1 in whatever.

However, don't actually make a mage, make a Fighter, then take all your mage skills and stuff. Reason is this way you get plate armor+shield, which makes you a ton tankier and you really don't need wands at that point. If you start a mage archetype, you're in a robe that doesn't mitigate damage for crap, while the rogue and especially the fighter/knight armor mitigate a ton of damage. Downside is once you're out of spells, your damage is a bit lower than with wands but not much. You get wands in the tutorial dungeons for free too so you only do this one fight without.

2nd char can be whatever, I went with rogue. Then just kill stuff, the archers seem to be a lot deadlier than the front group so I used spider in front to soak all the damage from these mobs and focused on the archers.

Deadly

I started as a Shadowblade and Battlemage on Tactician...I got destroyed on the first fight :lol Going to actually have to think this through.

Sitting here twiddling my thumbs wondering when it's going to come out, I was expecting the old D:OS game to patch into EE, oops now I have a four hour wait til it downloads. I guess I should have looked it up, super excited to play through the EE!

Menome

I go with a Battlemage, with Crushing Fist, Flame Touch and the basic healing skill along with a Witch that swaps Geo for Air so I can teleport things and has the damage-buff skill to use on the Battlemage for close-combat.

Works well as a duo and even better once there's extra party members.

Oreiller

I just got out of Cyseal and started exploring the rainy area before the lighthouse.
The battle system is one of the best I have experienced in a RPG and the encounter design seems really solid. I hope it won't become a cakewalk later on though.

downloading now, im so excited, i've had vanilla for a long while, but i can't often get myself to play my kbm games, 30 mins! hopefully i can keep a co op companion handy and start a couple playthroughs with each perhaps.

Sevenfold

^DSR no good? Playing at 2160p without issues here except books...

Anyone else on pc crashing when reading books?

Ah. It's because I'm at 2160p damn.

Miker

GeDeSaTo is DirectX 9 only, the EE has been upgraded to DX11.

Well that would explain it, thanks. And I'm on a lowly 7850, so no DSR for me.

Also, smh at the portrait selection once again. They have a changelog a mile long and they didn't add in portraits that actually match the characters. my immersion, etc etc

So, mages are still OP.

Just did a run straight up to Cyseal. Think I need to start over with two mages.

Should I specialize instead of spreading out?

Xeteh

Games like this always make me feel like I'm doing everything wrong because there are so many choices when it comes to building characters. I noticed the tips in the OP for it but I was going to make a Rogue and that isn't listed. Does anyone have any advice on how I should go about that? Doesn't need to be too detailed, any advice would be great. Thanks

My recommend starting build for new players..............
Seriously pick what ever sounds cool to you and go have a blast, the combat isn't going to force you to do certain things , want to make a mage party that just levitates enemies and then lets them fall to their death? Just do it.

My playthrough largely consisted of my archer teleporting my entire team around the battlefield, it was awesome.

Lanrutcon

So, mages are still OP.

Just did a run straight up to Cyseal. Think I need to start over with two mages.

Should I specialize instead of spreading out?

In terms of spell schools? Pick 2. The thing about spells is that they cost terrible amounts of AP if you don't have enough ranks in the school. Once you become badass in the school, the costs drop and suddenly you're raining 14 flavors of death in a single round.

My thoughts on the schools (and this is just from finishing the vanilla game and reading the change log for EE):

- Fire is your best all around school.
- Earth is a close second, or even the best now as it has been drastically improved. It was solid, now it looks incredible. Looking forward to combining the new Earth with the already solid Fire.
- Water is very situational, and very support based. It does not play well with fire, and thus it kinda falls over on the offensive front. The heals are amazing though. Won't blow your socks off, but it'll save your ass every so often.
- Air is the red headed stepchild, not really excelling anywhere. It's 'meh' when compared to the other schools. Only saving grace is the teleport based spells, which turn lethal when you get clever with it.
- Witchcraft was very very abusable in vanilla, but has now been nerfed. Used to be rather good at killing things when I don't think the devs intended it that way. Now it looks like a school to support the others.

Meneses

Anyone try the PS4 version? How does it run and does it play well with the controller?

I would have probably impulse-bought it at 40, but i'm not gonna pay the console tax.

JC Sera

seeing as the mac version isn't out for a while was plnning to play local co-op with my beau on PC

just a question
I saw somewhere that local co-op on PC requires two controllers, you can't have one person on keyboard and one person on controller

is that true?

Ragus

Banned
Performance is so much better. I had micro stuttering all the time and now it's silky smooth 60 fps.

Anyone else?

Nete

New players should also know that you can reset your characters and rework them to whatever you want once certain location is unlocked. For instance, my coop partner started as a 2-handed melee guy and mid-game he switched to an archer.

So don't worry on what to create. If you don't like it, it can be changed.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
I think I'm gonna go back to this to check out the changes in the PC version and maybe play with a controller for kicks to try that out. I never finished it, so it will be nice to see the new/updated stuff in the early game and then new (to me) end game stuff.

In true cRPG fashion, you are gonna die and it won't feel fair sometimes, so SAVE OFTEN. I heartily recommend specializing however. Especially if you play on the harder difficulties. Specializing will eventually turn your motley crew of rag-tag adventurers into lethal killing machines. That 1 point in Air Magic isn't going to help you at all when you can save it for later to get a second level in Fire Magic. This was never explained well when I played it, but when I found out, hooooollly smoke did it change things. All of a sudden my mage was slinging multiple fire spells per turn and was a wrecking house. Eventually you'll want to take a couple points in other stuff so you don't get destroyed when you find an enemy immune to fire or air or whatever but early on don't get distracted. If you do find an enemy immune to your spells, then no big deal you have the saved point or two to make your adjustments (likely after a re-load. you did).

I hear that warrior skills were toned down some (the AoE one was insanely overpowered so that's fair), but the OP magic is the heart and soul of the combat game to me. It is just so much fun flinging water/electricity and oil/fire/poison everywhere. Archers seems good but I didn't get far with one. I bet you could do pretty well with one in place of a 2nd mage if you are willing to not have access to some schools of magic. If you're going to skip some magic schools make sure the ones you keep are complementary. Air/Water work well together and Fire/Earth do too. Not sure what role Witchcraft will have after the changes but it seems like a support one mostly.

Ploid 3.0

I have no idea what changed in the game. Is putting points into weapon skills still bad (Second map related)
if you can hold off until later in the game
?

Is respec still bad in that you won't be able to find certain spells that you can start off with?

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Should I be stealing and selling everything not nailed down in the first city?

You're god damned right.

Protip: Initiate conversation with an NPC with one of your party members so that they are facing away from what you want to take, then switch to another character and have at it.

vocab

Performance is so much better. I had micro stuttering all the time and now it's silky smooth 60 fps.

Anyone else?

I had a lot of 30-40's in some area. Map scrolling had hitching too. And I also had hitches on explosions and kills as well. It was a pretty demanding game. So far everything looks ironed out and polished very heavily.

I like the new death animation. A creepy sound plays and a tombstone pops up.

Ploid 3.0

Should I be stealing and selling everything not nailed down in the first city?

There is no karma unless they added it. The only reason I'd hold off on stealing the good stuff is if I was looking for more barter gear to get better bartering deals.

Vitanimus

excellent. I tried playing PoE and found it so overwhelming with a lot of micro management.
oexTA6a.gif
2 casual 4 me

I'm downloading this right now, and I'm excited to play given all the great things I've heard, but with Trails coming out on Thursday, I might not be getting much of a chance to play for the next couple of weeks.

Still, I'm looking forward to digging into this as much as I can.

Top Bottom