• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Divinity: OS - EE |OT| No one has as many friends as the man with many cheeses!

JC Sera

Re-posting question
seeing as the mac version isn't out for a while was plnning to play local co-op with my beau on PC

just a question
I saw somewhere that local co-op on PC requires two controllers, you can't have one person on keyboard and one person on controller

is that true?

really wanna know if the end of Madora's questline is different
I refused to complete it because you can't opt out of her "exacting her revenge"

went first time round with Madora & Jahan, Madora's story was good except the ending, Jahan was trash.

I've heard they've changed Jahan's quest a fair bit not sure about Madora. Going to go with Bairdotr this time round, shes a sweetie but first time round I played the ranger.

Ranger is super fun btw 10/10 skills & Arrows. Max crafting and make charm arrows then get the ability to charm another guy, so much fun.
edit: the charm ability has been removed in EE :(
like thats fair, it was super OP but :(

naib

No one really has any aoe at that point of the game. Warriors used to have Dust Devil but they removed those unique skills.

After remaking my party I did the first fight pretty easily. You want a mage(obviously) with 1pt in earth for the spider pet, it's potentially doable without but it makes a huge difference since it'll soak damage for like 3turns while still doing some damage. You'll want 1pt in every school for various buffs anyway regardless, it's cheap and gives access to 3 spells and every school as 3 good tier1 spells. Unless you want to max a school asap, I'd also say get 1water for the heal in case you get poisonned, and then 1 in whatever.

However, don't actually make a mage, make a Fighter, then take all your mage skills and stuff. Reason is this way you get plate armor+shield, which makes you a ton tankier and you really don't need wands at that point. If you start a mage archetype, you're in a robe that doesn't mitigate damage for crap, while the rogue and especially the fighter/knight armor mitigate a ton of damage. Downside is once you're out of spells, your damage is a bit lower than with wands but not much. You get wands in the tutorial dungeons for free too so you only do this one fight without.

2nd char can be whatever, I went with rogue. Then just kill stuff, the archers seem to be a lot deadlier than the front group so I used spider in front to soak all the damage from these mobs and focused on the archers.
Reading this gave me a chubby. Can't wait to fire this up again.

Gotta wear these kiddos out.

vocab

They gave the cheese vendor a new voice actor. NOOOOO. They towned down a lot of the overexaggerated lines like SHE BIT ME IN THE FACE line.

Ran into a new quest in Cyseal as well.

bati

I love how well this game is put together. But goddamn that first city is still one of the biggest pace killers I've ever encountered in rpgs. I'm closing the game every few minutes (only to return moments later like a proper junkie) because it's such a chore to slog through.

bbd23

Re-posting question

really wanna know if the end of Madora's questline is different
I refused to complete it because you can't opt out of her "exacting her revenge"

went first time round with Madora & Jahan, Madora's story was good except the ending, Jahan was trash.

I've heard they've changed Jahan's quest a fair bit not sure about Madora. Going to go with Bairdotr this time round, shes a sweetie but first time round I played the ranger.

Ranger is super fun btw 10/10 skills & Arrows. Max crafting and make charm arrows then get the ability to charm another guy, so much fun.
edit: the charm ability has been removed in EE :(
like thats fair, it was super OP but :(

Theres charm arrows though :p

I decided to go wayfarer this time around

edit: whoops read that wrong xD

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Charm is gone now?

You mean the new console guys are never going to know the joy of some asshole skeleton archer charming Madora and having her oneshot your entire party?

Booooo.

I would love to say "create whatever character you want", but the game has 4 fully voiced companions that have specific skills slotted out. It would be a waste to turn both of your player characters into a thief, water/wind mage, and archer. You get all of those conpanions on the very first town in the game. Hell, maybe Larian created even more companions with this new version of Original Sin.

Menome

They gave the cheese vendor a new voice actor. NOOOOO. They towned down a lot of the overexaggerated lines like SHE BIT ME IN THE FACE line.

Ran into a new quest in Cyseal as well.

platoon.jpg

The first casualty of war is the cheese-sellers.

New players should also know that you can reset your characters and rework them to whatever you want once certain location is unlocked. For instance, my coop partner started as a 2-handed melee guy and mid-game he switched to an archer.

So don't worry on what to create. If you don't like it, it can be changed.

Wasn't it limited with a consumable object? Or they changed it so now you can change it multiple time whenever you want?

JC Sera

to clarify the Expert Marksman skill that let you charm an enemy is gone

Charm arrows & enemy spell casters can still easily charm

Palehorse

There's a great temptation to make sure that your created chars are unique from the NPCs built in, so there's no overlap, etc.

On the one hand making sure there's no overlap is good for spreading out loot and making sure you can use a lot of it instead of everyone wanting that 2 handed sword. And also for making sure that all scenarios are covered.

On the other hand, there's absolutely nothing wrong with having overlap on some skills. (Some of the mage spells are great to have twice.) The game doesn't punish you for just doing what you want to do and if you find having two of a build isn't needed you can recruit another NPC instead.

I can't wait to get home. Time to pack up and commute.

Currently rocking a mage and a knight. Mage is set up with Flare, Rain, and Heal as their primaries. Getting Summon Spider as soon as possible.

My knight has Thunder Fist for getting up close with enemies.

Corpekata

Banned
You're pretty much going to have overlap with the story NPCs no matter what. Just don't use the ones you overlap with as much. The only real one you can avoid overlapping with is Jahan since there are so many mage builds out there.

vocab

You sure they didn't move Charm to witchcraft? I looked through the change log. No mention of removing charm. Also, they added charm to another encounter.

Got both these games for review via digital codes but still had to show my support. We don't get games like these very often on consoles let alone in the span of a month. I want them to keep coming!

H0369EX.jpg

bathsalts

Why must I be at work. Did they nerf the lone wolf builds? 20 ap recovery and being able to attack 10 times a turn was always amusing.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
well I know what I'm playing this time round
949cb0ee561d0aed398dd7aa6cbc4f89.png

Oh shit that's in Witchcraft now? Ok then. I guess that makes taking that spell school viable. I saw they nerfed it pretty hard so I was doubting that taking it for the damage would be worth it. Charm though, who needs damage, let the enemies work for you!

Oh some people are going to have a delight here, and in an even better form! It got robbed of GOTY last year from launching in the same time frame as LoG2, but it was so damn good and well-realized at seriously pushing a form of RPG foward trying the new and polishing the agency-laden old with some amazing skill.

I look forward to blowing shit sky high with fire arrows in memory of Pokrovsky!

The correct choice was made for the subtitle. Clearly the Cheese-Seller is the hero we all ascribe to be.

Can't wait to rain arrows into his ass once again!

Clydefrog

I really gotta start and finish PoE before I do another run of DOS. Maybe by then I will forget everything I did in DOS and it will all feel new again, LOL. But I'll never forget the battle music! AW YEAH

Interesting that Charm moved to Witchcraft. Witchcraft already had a lot of great spells.

JambiBum

Does anyone else have the issue where the game fails to launch? A friend has this issue and looking at the steam forums so do some other people. No one has come up with a solution there so I wanted to see if anyone at gaf might have one.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Oh yes, I just realized that the console folks get to feel our pain now.

This lost to fucking Dragon Age in damn near every award across the industry.

Dragon Age

Adnor

Banned
Just tried how the game played with a gamepad, it works pretty well but I'm sure it will add a few hours to the game, no matter how well it works it's still slower than KB/M. Still, with gamepad I can play local coop so it's worth it.

vocab

Everything is good. I mean leech was broken, but nothing seemed underpowered except maybe a few spells towards the end. Some of the master spells were worthless. I really want to see how much damage a dual wield rogue does.

epmode

Oh man, the controller support is nice. I'll go back to a mouse in a few hours but I'm really impressed.

One thing: I don't think there's a way to hide hats in controller mode. Had to switch back to mouse+keyboard to do it.

Oh yes, I just realized that the console folks get to feel our pain now.

This lost to fucking Dragon Age in damn near every award across the industry.

Dragon Age

Right? At least it sold well regardless.

It seems like the EE is getting a much warmer reception than Wasteland 2's update. Damn, with all the games coming out this time of year I don't have time to play through this long ass game again.

Nete

Oh shit, they have nerfed the Lone Wolf + Glass Cannon combo. It was nuts tho, so it's a good change.

I'm having a terrible time on deciding how I want the second Lone Wolf character to be. Ranged, melee, another mage... so many options, so many things I want. I really miss my coop partner, I wouldn't have this problem :(

I guess I will go with some kind of melee with summons. My mage needs some protection :p

It seems like the EE is getting a much warmer reception than Wasteland 2's update. Damn, with all the games coming out this time of year I don't have time to play through this long ass game again.
The companion bug seems to be a rather big deal unfortunately.

In my playthrough of the original I played a Witch and Ranger as my main two. What should I change with the new stats?

Dunbar

The bugs in Wasteland 2 DC are the only reason I haven't dived into Divinity EE yet. I want to give it a few days to see if people find any problems that are worth holding off a play through before they get fixed.

I'll be picking this up when I get home tomorrow - not sure when I'll get around to playing it with Halo 5 and Wasteland but excited to finally see what all the buzz is about.

vocab

The bugs in Wasteland 2 DC are the only reason I haven't dived into Divinity EE yet. I want to give it a few days to see if people find any problems that are worth holding off a play through before they get fixed.

played for 2 hours. Seems pretty bug free so far. The only bugs in the original (the latest patch) were audio and performance related. There's an occasional empty animation when looting, but that's if you do it fast I think. Not really a bug so whatever.

Unity games are just naturally buggy. The companion bug in DC was just a huge oversight. Not sure what happen there. Larian has constantly worked on their engine for years, and Divinity Original Sin 2 is using the EE version of the engine so far.

AcAnchoa

I've played 40 minutes and have to say that the performance boost is amazing, in the original version I rarely saw more than 40 fps and now is running at 60 with no drops. Voice acting looks good, really adds to the game. Tactician mode seems hard enough, the boss in the tutorial almost killed one of my characters.

A part of me wants to start a full playthrough right now, but I'll punch it in the face and wait until I finish Wasteland 2 DC.

Lorcain

I keep getting a connection failed message whenever I try and start a new game in single player. I've created exceptions in my antivirus and firewall, tried disabling both, but no luck.

epmode

That's weird, the game should be playable entirely offline. Does the game work when you disable your network card/wifi?

Nete

Welp, characters created at last: Lone Wolfs mage and 2-handed melee on Tactician mode. Let's see what happens.
I'll die.

Dat swag.

qbnuuke.png

pots555

Got both these games for review via digital codes but still had to show my support. We don't get games like these very often on consoles let alone in the span of a month. I want them to keep coming!

H0369EX.jpg

I have bought both also. Your review of Wasteland 2 made me buy it by the way and I am loving it. Took a break from it to start Divinity and I am having a blast so far. So glad I enjoy these games and I also believe it's important to support them.

Eusis

Crazy how much better this runs. Even a cheaper laptop with a 940m can run this at Ultra, 1600x900 at 30 FPS (may have took shadows down a notch or disable ambient occlusion) where the original struggled with Medium.

Also PS4 buttons show natively. Do wonder if they plan for native Steam Controller support though.

Top Bottom