• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DJ mixes (large files) Does iPod have a problem with large file size?

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's what I hear. Besides the price, large file size use problems keep me from buying a pod for another generation or two. Is there evidence otherwise? By word of mouth I've heard of problems when accessing large files for extended periods of time. I've already seen one of my friend's pods's drives in perma-access mode, making lots of noise, and then not working.

What do you think about this?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
it has a 32MB buffer, some of which is used for the OS etc. I think it has as standard a 27 minute 'skip protection', so thats about 27MB (assuming Apple standard 128kb/s mp3/aac files). iPod photo is slightly less due to the OS using more space.

It spins the HDD up and fills the buffer, then plays from the memory buffer and lets the HDD stop. When its about half empty, it refills the buffer.

I don't know what happens if you have one file larger than the buffer, but it should simply spin up the hard drive after 15 minutes or so to keep the buffer topped up.

If you have higher bitrate stuff, then it has to fill its buffer more often. Wav would be the worst offender

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
I've got quite a few Essential Mixes and livesets on here - from 1-3 hours long, and I've never had a problem (generation 4 20 gig iPod)

tetsuoxb

If they ever came out with a DJ iPod - which I envision to be like the 4G ipod but with a larger buffer and the return of the 4 buttons (But a DJ version - Play/Cue/Pitch+/Pitch-) and using the jog wheel as a vinyl emu.... I would piss myself. You could even use the center button to trigger advance features like creating small loops ala a Pioneer CDJ1000-MKII.

Something like that would seriously revolutionize DJing.

Hell, I would even settle for a high end CDJ player with an Ipod dock that would implement said features but read the MP3s off the Ipod.

Anthropic

I think the only problem that happens with large songs that fill the buffer is that they drain the battery faster (since there's more HD use). Since every iPod has had 32MB or buffer, waiting a generation or two is probably not a going to work.

tetsuoxb

WasabiKing said:
Vinyl for Life

Vinyl will never die.... but an HD based DJ device capable of manipulating waveforms would allow such a diversity of track selection that it would quickly become used as an excellent compliment to spinning vinyl.

Alot of your upfront DJs are already using things like FinalScratch (PvD, Chris Leibing being the two biggies) so I dont think it is too big a stretch.

tetsuoxb said:
Vinyl will never die.... but an HD based DJ device capable of manipulating waveforms would allow such a diversity of track selection that it would quickly become used as an excellent compliment to spinning vinyl.

Alot of your upfront DJs are already using things like FinalScratch (PvD, Chris Leibing being the two biggies) so I dont think it is too big a stretch.

As a vinyl DJ from a few years back, I hate that Final Scratch stuff. Even worse is this current bumper crop of "mashups." It was cool for a while, but then everyone who creates stuff with a computer suddely thinks they're a supreme DJ. Elitist? Yes, but I also believe in the preservation of a true art form. And nothing can every replace a vinyl scratch... ;)

tetsuoxb

WasabiKing said:
As a vinyl DJ from a few years back, I hate that Final Scratch stuff. Even worse is this current bumper crop of "mashups." It was cool for a while, but then everyone who creates stuff with a computer suddely thinks they're a supreme DJ. Elitist? Yes, but I also believe in the preservation of a true art form. And nothing can every replace a vinyl scratch... ;)

Well, since I am a mix dj, I dont really need a vinyl scratch... :) Im not a big fan of mashups, but the ability to subtlely rework a song in Ableton Live is absolutely killer. Sasha barely plays any released records... he is using Ableton to rework everything ala involver and play exclusive stuff.

Well, that's what separates the men from the boys, when you go into full on production. And that's when you make the big bucks and release your own stuff on the various mediums.

But when I used to do club gigs, the places I worked asked for specific, current tracks, cause that's the kind of scene it was. And I made good money. Now, it's so saturated here that guys only make a fraction what I used to make. Couple that with these computer/iPod DJs and it's over... Thank god I don't do it any more...

Dilbert

I've had some issues with my 3G and extremely long DJ mixes (3-4 hours), but it's fine with <2 hour tracks. They might have made an improvement for the 4G models...

Since we're on the Ipod topic, my brother wants to know if its possible to put music from his Ipod to a different pc. Not music from PC to Ipod.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom