• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Djokovic disqualified from US Open after 'hitting' lineswoman with ball

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
“It’s the right decision,” Tim Henman, who was disqualified from Wimbledon for a similar incident in 1995, told Amazon Prime. “He is not aiming for the line judge, but has hit the ball away and you have to be responsible for your actions.”

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
It was an accident. Although to be fair Djokovic is a very unlikely tennis player. If this was Nadal or Federer, nothing would have happened.

MrS

Banned
Why is he such a deplorable individual. This, breaking away from the union, being an antivaxxer. The guy gives you umpteen reasons to dislike him

cormack12

Gold Member
Looks like it was a blind return meant for the ballgirl rear left and he caught it wrong, which gave it a little more heat and bounce. I think disqualification is harsh personally, but can understand it.

DESTROYA

aqkGnwF.gif

Javthusiast

Banned
This was his tournament to lose. Dude had an easy cake walk to tie with Rafa in slam titles. But instead of just throwing a tantrum and hit his racket on the ground or whatever he just had to hit the ball without looking. Never do that, cause you don‘t know what you will hit. Rules are rules.

It's never a pleasant feeling when you take a hard one to the face unexpectedly
I heard that about you.
You didn't even use it right.
That's what she said.
She said you didn't use it right?

I heard that about you.
I heard about you that you said he didn't use the penis right on you.

You wanted it in the butt and stuff.

26928548-0-image-m-20_1586295374738.jpg
images

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Reminds me why I don’t watch Tennis this is something baseball players get excited for take your base

If only this happened at Wimbledon, the British media headlines would have been worth it -

Novak goes balls deep in line judge's throat.

Djokovic mishandles his ball to give umpire a sore throat.

Professional tennis, too many balls in the air?

Swollen tennis generation?

Balling Joker slaps throat.

Heated ball leaves line judge moaning.

Ball busting breaks social distancing.

EDIT: Fed calls Nadal to laugh at Novac's balls.

Last edited:
Djokovic's antics shouldn't be encouraged. He likes to flaunt his personality and that's good when he's Djoker on a positive mood but when you take it a bit far on the negative side, reigning him in is the right call.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
It's really him or Serena. At least in recent memory anyway.
I don't follow tennis, but from what I see on sports sites, he and Serena are definitely the worst. Djokovic is an arrogant pissy dude with zero personality. Nadal is the emotional fun guy. Federer is the quiet leader. Put three of them in a room watching sports and if their favourite team lost that night, Djokovic would the one smacking his beer can against the wall. He's also the one who could constantly tell people his team has won the most championships, so if you talk sports with him and your team won, and his team lost, he's the guy who would bring up "yeah, but my team has won 10 cups, your team 4". Nadal would be happy talking about both team's historical success, and Roger looks like the guy who wouldn't even care or know which team has won more trophies.

Serena is a ghetto loudmouth whose a sore loser. You'd think someone brought up on tennis would be a prim and proper kind of attitude, but she talks like someone from the hood sometimes. Odd.

Amazingly, McEnroe back in the day had huge yelling matches causing a scene. But I don't think people hated him much for it. People seemed to like it. You could tell later in his career he was playing off it more for fun, but in his early years he seemed genuinely hot headed. But (I think) people still accepted it.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Is this for real? They can get him out for such a stupid incident?

It always happen with soccer that a powerfull shot can hit someone from the people around but they never disqualfied anyone...

xrnzaaas

To me it looks like someone used the opportunity to DQ him for his recent actions. It's a freak accident. I understand banning the player for something like insulting the judge like a certain famous shemale.

Last edited:

Reallink

I don't know jack shit about tennis or this guy, but based solely on the video, he was unarguably sidelining the balls to the ball boy. He had literally just tossed one seconds before he accidentally caught this one at the wrong angle. That woman's hilariously belabored slow motion fall replete with dramatic pauses looked faker than an SNL sketch. A kindergartner could have imparted more force than that underhanded lob did. What a pussy ass sport and ridiculous rule book to disqualify someone over something like this.

Last edited:
wtf it barely hit her and she looks so distressed in that article like she was punched in the face...jfc. I understand rules are rules but fuck off with that overreaction.

Djokovic is an arrogant pissy dude with zero personality. Nadal is the emotional fun guy.

You sure you know your tennis players? You are free to dislike Djokovic but to say he is the pissy one? Nadal...his name in the history books of Tennis...than name will forever be known for a person that is constantly pissed off at the world and the games he plays. When the fuck did you ever see him smile or chat up fans?

Djokovic is the guy that has fun with the cameraman, the towel girl, kids in the audience etc. Nadal since day one was one of the biggest miserable bitches in sport and the sorest of the sore losers. You literally described Djokovic and not Nadal.

CHEROKEEE

wtf it barely hit her and she looks so distressed in that article like she was punched in the face...jfc. I understand rules are rules but fuck off with that overreaction.

"barely hit her" ??

C´mon now, The Ball obvsly hit her right on the larynx ! That area aint no joke... and btw. is a crucial target for hits in Martial Arts in order to incapacitate opponents for good !

Alx

Dura lex sed lex.
I think every tennis Professional had the same comments about it, "that's the rule, so there's no way around it."

Birdo

Banned
She dropped like she'd been shot :messenger_grinning_smiling:

Ball Boys have taken full-on serves to the side of the head and not reacted like that.

Last edited:

Orpheum

She dropped like she'd been shot :messenger_grinning_smiling:

Ball Boys have taken full-on serves to the side of the head and not reacted like that.

yeah i don't think getting a tennisball blasted to the throat feels that great to be honest.

It was an accident for sure but he should stop throwing tantrums like that..

Top Bottom