• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DK Jungle Climber is a fantastic game

Stopdoor

I played King of the Swing on GBA recently, and thought it was pretty good. Weird but fun concept where you spin and jump with L and R, some interesting level gimmicks, a bit frustrating. Sort of interesting cartoon art style that works for the GBA, I guess.

So I just recently picked up Jungle Climber thinking it'd be more of the same. But wow, it's pretty much one of the best sequels you can get. The core swinging mechanic is the same but tightened up in all the right ways - you spin at a much more satisfying pace, the grabbing is just a bit more lenient, the health system is re-worked in a way that makes much more sense and feels even more like classic DK, Diddy is incorporated in ways that increase the depth of the gameplay as health, a long-range attack, a scout, and other power-ups.

It uses the DS dual screens in an extremely natural way to give you more of the level to see and work with. The level design gimmicks continually change it up in smart ways, with some really awesome stuff that sometimes seem like platformer cliches but given a whole new perspective in this gameplay style. And again, some use the DS dual screens in a way that only works here, like a level where you can't see the handholds and need a map on the bottom screen, and a level where you're mirrored on both screens but the handhold layout is different, forcing you to synchronize the two.

If the game ever annoys you too much, you're always slowly building up this invincibility power-up you can use to skip it and grab collectibles. But it's the type of power-up that's easy to forget about and ignore if you want to challenge yourself.

The presentation is again steps above the GBA game and the more rendered-looking graphics are a definite improvement as well. I was reading an old GAF thread on it and it's bizarre to read people 10 years ago swearing off the game because of its "ugly horrendous art style". I guess the graphics and music can't compare to Donkey Kong Country, but really, not much can.

The only thing that lessens the experience is the lame story and characters - the whole DK crew and King K. Rool appears, but the extremely lame throwaway dialogue really puts a downer on what's a great game at its core - the silence of DKC is suddenly appreciated and you start to understand Miyamoto's distaste of plot in these sorts of games. Makes the thing feel more like a lame spin-off going through the motions in that regard, it only hurts it. They went through the effort to bring characters back that went missing when Jungle Beat rolled around, but it just feels so token and cookie-cutter.

The whole L and R button swinging thing is something that just won't gel for some people, but if it wasn't missing that killer atmosphere DKC has at its heart, there's no reason this is any worse than a DK platformer. Didn't expect to write this much, but uh, hopefully I've spread the love. Anyone remember this game fondly?

NMFried

HELL YES.

As much love as I have for the DKC franchise, for some reason King of Swing and Jungle Climber have been my favorite DK experiences.

Absolutely loved this game. The classic DK backdrops, the racing, and the surprising complexity to each level.

dkjungleclimber_610.jpg

Neiteio

Nice writeup. I don't know much about this game but was always a lil' curious since I'm a fan of the DK universe. That's great to hear the game turned out well.

PSqueak

Banned
Wish they'd let Paon do more DK stuff, they keep all the Rare lore alive.

Too bad Retro perfect the platforming mechanics, because if Paon got to do a platformer DKC, it wouldn't be as good, but Retro is not using the old Rare lore at all.

One thing I always appreciated about the Paon developed DK games for is their respect for the universe Rare created with the DKC trilogy. It's kinda nice to see peeps and enemies from the old games like Wrinkly, K. Rool, Neeks, Zingers, Flitters, etc especially since Jungle Beat and Retro's Country games have done away with a lot those characters.

Sponge

Banned

Too bad Retro perfect the platforming mechanics, because if Paon got to do a platformer DKC, it wouldn't be as good, but Retro is not using the old Rare lore at all.

They use a decent amount of it. We miss out on Kremlings, Animal Buddies and some of the Kongs but they kept way more things then Jungle Beat did. As much I love Jungle Beat, It's not a Donkey Kong Country game. Nothing from the original trilogy returned besides DK himself. Even then Donkey Kong acted almost like a completely different character.

Stopdoor

Absolutely loved this game. The classic DK backdrops, the racing, and the surprising complexity to each level.

You know, the one thing I am disappointed with that I didn't mention because most people won't care about it - the multiplayer in King of the Swing actually seems to be better and more fleshed out. In King of the Swing you can pick your characters and it tells you the stats, along with secret unlockable characters. And then there's more types of modes, and it does a better job of letting you mix-and-match the gametypes and keep track of score. Jungle Climber is weirdly bare-bones in comparison even if it's kind of fun, forcing you into one character and just endlessly looping 4 levels over and over.

Makes me wonder if there was supposed to be more there. Some characters have a "swinging" animation frame that shows up when they teleport like Cranky Kong, the Banana guy, the Kremlings, K. Rool, so it makes me wonder if they were supposed to be playable.

NMFried

You know, the one thing I am disappointed with that I didn't mention because most people won't care about it - the multiplayer in King of the Swing actually seems to be better and more fleshed out. In King of the Swing you can pick your characters and it tells you the stats, along with secret unlockable characters. And then there's more types of modes, and it does a better job of letting you mix-and-match the gametypes and keep track of score. Jungle Climber is weirdly bare-bones in comparison even if it's kind of fun, forcing you into one character and just endlessly looping 4 levels over and over.

Makes me wonder if there was supposed to be more there. Some characters have a "swinging" animation frame that shows up when they teleport like Cranky Kong, the Banana guy, the Kremlings, K. Rool, so it makes me wonder if they were supposed to be playable.

A lot of the satellite stuff in the game feels unfinished to a degree. The game sort of stealth launched, so it makes sense that it could have been rushed out the door.

Stopdoor

One thing I always appreciated the Paon developed DK games for is their respect for the universe Rare created with the DKC trilogy. It's kinda nice to see peeps and enemies from the old games like Wrinkly, K. Rool, Neeks, Zingers, Flitters, etc especially since Jungle Beat and Retro's Country games have done away with a lot those characters.

I kind of sympathize, but the dumb dialogue is kind of excruciating. Before Retro made Cranky Kong boring, these games did it even more aggressively. It'd be nice to see the Kremlings again, but I'm legitimately curious if anyone who made this game cared at all about the classic elements or was just rolling them out because, I dunno, K. Rool is DK's Bowser, I guess? The game just doesn't do anything interesting with the characters at all, and actively makes them even more sterile through the dialogue.

It might just be the dialogue in general rubbing me the wrong way.

PSqueak

Banned

I think they developed the multi more on KoS because...it kinda was tied to the plot? I mean the whole thing is "recover the medals K. Rool stole" and the medals were supposed to be for some sort of olympics the Kongs were holding, which is the multiplayer mode, so i figure they always meant to have a huge multi on KoS while JC prolly was a bonus.

Stopdoor

I think they developed the multi more on KoS because...it kinda was tied to the plot? I mean the whole thing is "recover the medals K. Rool stole" and the medals were supposed to be for some sort of olympics the Kongs were holding, which is the multiplayer mode, so i figure they always meant to have a huge multi on KoS while JC prolly was a bonus.

That's true, it's just weird because otherwise Jungle Climber is a step up in literally every regard and some more menus in the multiplayer mode couldn't have been too crazy an idea.

Fantastic is pushing it a bit but it wasn't nearly as bad as it looked, like a messy attempt at the SNES style visuals but somehow drastically worse complete with garish peg blocks floating all over the place, easy to just look at and nope away from.

But it gets a ton of mileage out of those cling mechanics, it can be bloody nails as well.
K.Rool alone was one of the toughest bosses I can recall struggling against and those extra challenge stages you unlock...sweet crystal coconuts they were tough, I somehow beat them but NEVER AGAIN!

I still need to try its GBA predecessor.

Stopdoor

Fantastic is pushing it a bit but it wasn't nearly as bad as it looked, like a messy attempt at the SNES style visuals but somehow drastically worse complete with garish peg blocks floating all over the place, easy to just look at and nope away from.

But it gets a ton of mileage out of those cling mechanics, it can be bloody nails as well.
K.Rool alone was one of the toughest bosses I can recall struggling against and those extra challenge stages you unlock...sweet crystal coconuts they were tough, I somehow beat them but NEVER AGAIN!

I still need to try its GBA predecessor.

I feel like if it nailed the graphics just a bit better it would really swing it out of the park. The pegs aren't a dealbreaker for me, I dunno. But I guess it makes it hard to feel as 'natural' as DKC does.

I dunno if I'd ultimately recommend the GBA game if you've only played the DS one, I feel like it would be pretty painful to go back to the slower and more frustrating mechanics. Though it might make you appreciate Jungle Climber's visuals more, haha.

Really I'd be going back for series completion purposes mainly since it's the only DK game from the DKC era onwards I haven't played*. Could show me just how much better the sequel was though

*Well that and Konga 3 for obvious reasons.

Top Bottom