• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DmC DLC!!! (Play as Vergil)

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Pathetic joke, and to think that I was actually going to support this trash.

ultron87

Oh, it'll be glorious either way.

"Wow, this game delivered on all my expectations! Feels soooo good to finally have in my hands! FUCK THE HATERS MY NIGGA"

"HAHAHAHA this game is a piece of shit, Ninja Shit strikes again, Kamiya have my babies, Platinum60fpsgamesMikami"

I imagine we'll hear approximately equal amounts of comments in both directions.

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
DAHBOMB, use spoilers!

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Game development doesn't exist in your ideal world. I wished it did though.

Again, it doesn't work like this. When the main pre-release development team is done with their tasks, yet the game is not ready to be shipped because other processes are yet required, there isn't anything left for them to do. The lead artist, programmer, combat designer, composer, design lead etc., have no business involved with many of the last leg portions of development before the game is certified and released.

Again, this is not how it works. Resources and manpower cannot be taken away if said resources and manpower have already completed what they needed to do. So, again - you don't fire people out of a development studio because they have completed their tasks. You aren't going to have them show up to Ninja Theories offices and do nothing and get paid while they wait for the other departments to finish up on the game before going gold. Instead, you put them to work. The main composer has no business being involved in the play testing, balancing, and bug checking portion of development. So instead, you exercise the idea of having him, let's say - work on a battle them for Vergil's DLC. This is just an example of how many of the core pre-release dev team, could be put to use when the game is essentially 'done' but not yet 'released.' But since whatever they are doing is beyond the planned budget of the main game, you effectively create a new budget for whatever they are working on that's separate from the main game. Thus, the pricing model for DLC.

I have trouble believing that game development works in exactly the assembly line that you've illustrated, especially considering that DLC content is decided in the planning stages.

Even so, I'd rather the portions of the team move onto other projects than work on DLC pre-release. I think that extras, if worked on pre-release should be included in the game. If the budget doesn't allow for it, then the budget doesn't allow for it.

Again, this is my opinion. And yes, it's my ideal world that doesn't exist because we're in a progressively anti-consumer industry.

I said the DVD sequel thing because its people trying to cash in on a name with extra content that isn't necessary for the core experience.

Your last question is the real problem here. It's just as easily arguable that those things wouldn't be part of the main game. I mean Jesus, sfxt had like 38 characters out of the gate and that's not more than enough and more than most fighting games? You really think less than 50 characters is unreasonable? Not to mention the fact that no one is ever lying to you. In both cases capcom has told you upfront EXACTLY what is on the disc and what is DLC and you are free to decide if its worth your money.
I have no complaints about the number of characters in SFxT nor in DmC. Capcom is free to do whatever they want with their development resources and content that they choose to release.

My problem with SFxT, DmC and increasingly with Capcom's decisions as a whole is that they chose 38 characters for SFxT and then characters that everyone wanted most (like Elena) or characters that had been staples of previous games (like Lei and Sakura) magically became on disc DLC. In the case of this game they take Virgil, a character fans of the game had been clamoring for, and make him day one exclusive retailer DLC.

Fine, but I choose to vote with my wallet. I routinely double-dipped and sometimes even tripple-dipped on Capcom games in the past to own them on all platforms and bought DLC costumes and such but starting with SFxT I only bough the PC version, on sale, and none of the DLC. I may or may not buy the PC version of DmC even though I had planned on buying the PS3 version day one. It's not that I don't want to enjoy these games or that I want them to fail, it's just that I don't want to continue to follow Capcom down this road anymore. There's nothing inherently wrong with DLC but Capcom's found ways to make it feel very wrong during this gen.

All that I ask is that the champions of these practices to ask themselves why it's more profitable for Capcom to divert resources to concurrent DLC development rather than to the development of new games.

Dahbomb

That depends on which view you have on the game.
It doesn't matter.

If the game is great then we actually have a good DMC game to look forward to. Naturally if it's good we will see combo videos popping up and that gets me hyped.

If it's ass then we can watch meltdowns and bust out the popcorn. I am sure some people will make videos showcasing glitches/bugs found in the demo.

In addition, the discussion around here will actually have some merit and we can actually start talking about the game play more in depth. DLC talk is boring.

DAHBOMB, use spoilers!
This entire thread is a spoiler along with the video posted in the OP. The final boss was already spoiled in the achievement list.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Bad question because we sort of already know what the final boss is and this footage is pretty much a glimpse of what he would play like.

lol, exactly what I was thinking. Final Boss Vergil is going to have a good portion of the moves seen in the trailer, probably with doppelganger/shadows.

Oh cool you let another statement go right over your head and approached it from an angle of unnecessary technicalities, well done

He's implying that even as a joke question it's not really that good because they could hazard a random guess and turn out to be right and then you'd look like an asshole, but you seem to be a few steps ahead of that on your own.

Dahbomb

Oh, it'll be glorious either way.

"Wow, this game delivered on all my expectations! Feels soooo good to finally have in my hands! FUCK THE HATERS MY NIGGA"

"HAHAHAHA this game is a piece of shit, Ninja Shit strikes again, Kamiya have my babies, Platinum60fpsgamesMikami"
Pretty much.

Oh cool you let another statement go right over your head and approached it from an angle of unnecessary technicalities, well done
I got your statement and question... it was just a poor rhetoric.

ezekial45

Banned
No, it's glorious one way or another. I mean, I'm in as much of the hate camp as you can get, and I'm hoping the demo proves me to have jumped the gun and be a god damn fool, so I'd be extremely happy to be wrong. On the flipside it'll just make me feel like I was right all along. There's no downside to cynicism here.

I'm sincerely hoping for the former. Though I'm convinced that a number of people will be pissed off about what it is not, instead of what IS there.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I really prefer the art style of this game to the original DMC's, but the impact of weapons just feels like it has no oomph.

will probably get either way since there's not much coming out in January aside from Anarchy Reigns.

Personally I'm looking forward to surprised impressions on both sides. The "it wasn't as bad as I thought" and "this really isn't as good as I wanted it to be" impressions will be by far the best. That is if people can swallow their pride and admit they may have gone too far one way or another in the past.

I have no complaints about the number of characters in SFxT nor in DmC. Capcom is free to do whatever they want with their development resources and content that they choose to release.

My problem with SFxT, DmC and increasingly with Capcom's decisions as a whole is that they chose 38 characters for SFxT and then characters that everyone wanted most (like Elena) or characters that had been staples of previous games (like Lei and Sakura) magically became on disc DLC. In the case of this game they take Virgil, a character fans of the game had been clamoring for, and make him day one exclusive retailer DLC.

Fine, but I choose to vote with my wallet. I routinely double-dipped and sometimes even tripple-dipped on Capcom games in the past to own them on all platforms and bought DLC costumes and such but starting with SFxT I only bough the PC version, on sale, and none of the DLC. I may or may not buy the PC version of DmC even though I had planned on buying the PS3 version day one. It's not that I don't want to enjoy these games or that I want them to fail, it's just that I don't want to continue to follow Capcom down this road anymore. There's nothing inherently wrong with DLC but Capcom's found ways to make it feel very wrong during this gen.

All that I ask is that the champions of these practices to ask themselves why it's more profitable to Capcom to divert resources to concurrent DLC development rather than to the development of new games.

Well those are points I can't disagree with. I also understand they made very intentional character choices, which can be seen as intentional baiting, and I also find that pretty crappy. But again, I don't really think its totally unfair as they provided everyone with all the info they needed to make a purchase decision.

Dahbomb

Personally I'm looking forward to surprised impressions on both sides. The "it wasn't as bad as I thought" and "this really isn't as good as I wanted it to be" impressions will be by far the best. That is if people can swallow their pride and admit they may have gone too far one way or another in the past.
No way man... the polar opposite impressions are going to be the best ones.

"DmC trumps every DMC game before it. Day 1 all over my face. NT am gods!"

"DmC is fucking ass! NT doesn't deserve to make games anymore. MGR and Bayo 2 will shit all over this. 60fpsPGKamiya etc"

Also SFxT was ass because of the whole gem fiasco. The character DLC was more salt on the wounds. The entire structure of the post release content was horrendously bad. No one can defend that anti-consumer bull crap... I don't care if SFxT was the most expensive game Capcom had put there was no excuse for that.

That depends on which view you have on the game.

Seriously. We have people who's entire intention of buying the game is so they can convince others not to. I can only imagine what they will say when they play the demo. Oh yeah, demo sucks. Don't buy it. White hair something something.

ezekial45

Banned

I'll own up to it sucking if that turns out to be the case. But I'm not expecting many of the others on the opposite end of the spectrum to do the same.

"It's still 30FPS! It's terrible on this basis alone!"

No way man... the polar opposite impressions are going to be the best ones.

"DmC trumps every DMC game before it. Day 1 all over my face. NT am gods!"

"DmC is fucking ass! NT doesn't deserve to make games anymore. MGR and Bayo 2 will shit all over this. 60fpsPGKamiya etc"

I fully expect to go from hating the game and everything about it to just being kind of tired and mildly disappointed personally. But I really, really want to be made to look like a childish cretin and be proven wrong.

Dahbomb

Seriously. We have people who's entire intention of buying the game is so they can convince others not to. I can only imagine what they will say when they play the demo. Oh yeah, demo sucks. Don't buy it. White hair something something.
You are sounding as bad as the game journalists.

Pathetic joke, and to think that I was actually going to support this trash.

If you were going to support it, which indicates you've already established the concept of getting the game, wouldn't you just pre-order the game and get the DLC for free? Unless of course you live somewhere in which the promotion isn't offered.

Or, maybe you just dislike the concept of DLC altogether, despite the fact it's offerred...for free. But then, we're now talking about voting for a dollar...guys it's just DLC. The core game that interested you two days ago is still the same core game. We're not debating the implications of a nuclear Iran here. Relax.

He's implying that even as a joke question it's not really that good because they could hazard a random guess and turn out to be right and then you'd look like an asshole, but you seem to be a few steps ahead of that on your own.

You seem to have been personally hurt and offended by what I said. I don't know why, and don't even remember commenting towards you so I'm not sure how that happened. As it stands, my point was legitimate. The guy says a game sucks that he didn't play, a statement I found funny and responded in kind.

Yknow considering I'm the guy who said that first part, and everything on this page is me talking about how I'm going to try and give it a fair shake and hope to be proven wrong, and have never said anything about the white hair at all, that's kind of disingenuous to imply LHK. Cmon man.

You seem to have been personally hurt and offended by what I said. I don't know why, and don't even remember commenting towards you so I'm not sure how that happened. As it stands, my point was legitimate. The guy says a game sucks that he didn't play, a statement I found funny and responded in kind.

Yeah, and you jumped down Dahbombs throat for making a valid point in return. The idea that you had to hurt my feelings for me to realize your post was dickish is weird, as well.

Vamphuntr

0174_25758.gif

They are going really hard for the feel of a CW tv show.

Well those are points I can't disagree with. I also understand they made very intentional character choices, which can be seen as intentional baiting, and I also find that pretty crappy. But again, I don't really think its totally unfair as they provided everyone with all the info they needed to make a purchase decision.
Not to beat this issue to death but remember that they initially hid the fact that the characters were on disc in the PS360 version of the game. Thankfully I found out in time to make an informed decision but a lot of people didn't.

I'd be annoyed if I was actually interested in this game, but given Ninja Theory's track record I'm not even going to think about touching this game until it hits bargain bin prices.

It is a little discouraging that this practice is becoming commonplace though. I hope they don't try to pull this with Monster Hunter.

Yknow considering I'm the guy who said that first part, and everything on this page is me talking about how I'm going to try and give it a fair shake and hope to be proven wrong, and have never said anything about the white hair at all, that's kind of disingenuous to imply LHK. Cmon man.

Yeah, and you jumped down Dahbombs throat for making a valid point in return. The idea that you had to hurt my feelings for me to realize your post was dickish is weird, as well.

As a general rule, I don't often run into people who call someone an asshole over a joke they made towards someone else entirely unless thy were somehow personally offended. That's fine if that's just your nature I guess. I also don't remember jumping down a throat, nor responding to a valid point by dahbomb.

ezekial45

Banned
Ok, I'll be making the demo thread later this week.

I'm ready to take my lumps, however this goes. But if Darksiders 2 is good enough for Dahbomb, then I think this game will be just fine.

hopefully.

Top Bottom