• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DMC4 Media Blowout + Famitsu Scans + New Characters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dahbomb

sp0rsk said:
Death to the official thread.
Official thread will be re-made with the new stuff right around TGS time.

Ether_Snake said:
The game is nice but the old-gen gameplay, camera and animations really hold it back.

It wouldn't have been difficult to add some motion to the environments when Nero hits the ground with a powerful attack (without using actual physics). But everything is so static, including the camera. It clashes completely with the style of DMC.

Oh well, hopefully DMC5 will be the RE4 of the DMC series.
DMC at this point does not need a reboot because it's fanbase and general confidence with the game play is fairly high. Risking a formula change would really rattle up the fanbase and would result in even fewer sales (see: Onimusha 4).

The camera is actually more dynamic than previous DMC games, it follows the action much better this time around. Animations are also improved, especially when Nero slides away after an attack.

DMC's game play is still king and Capcom is merely expanding upon it with stuff like Devil Bringer, Grim Grip, Exceed, On the Fly Style switch and more. There are still quite a few surprises remaining in store for the game play, bet on it.

5718620070720_174527_6_big.jpg

4119620070720_164734_2_big.jpg

Please let the demo include this fight.

Dahbomb

Holy ****, those in-game screens of Dante vs Nero look just as bad ass as its cutscene counterpart!!!! Dante vs Nero is going to be the new Dante vs Vergil in DMC4... BELIEVE IT!

Dahbomb said:
Holy ****, those in-game screens of Dante vs Nero look just as bad ass as its cutscene counterpart!!!! Dante vs Nero is going to be the new Dante vs Vergil in DMC4... BELIEVE IT!

I was actually curious as to why your original post sucked so much -- 30 pictures of pure awesome, and yet you post the 5 most worthless? You cannot be Dahbomb, you fail me.

Dahbomb

I didn't post all the images because it would kill bandwidth. I guess I HAVE gotten softer over the years...

5718620070720_174532_7_big.jpg

This image right here is actually in-game as seen in the scans with the rest of the same images.

Dave1988

Dahbomb said:

Y hello thar Captain Obvious!

J2 Cool

What is old-gen gameplay? DMC3 played as well as any action game out there last gen? So what does it have to do to be "new gen gameplay" when nothing has really leapfrogged it since?

AAK

Dahbomb said:

Nah , Nero has already surpassed Vergil. The other things DMC4 needs to show are enemies like Shadow, Nightmare, and Despair Embodied.

ElyrionX

Meh.

The new images are hardly interesting at all. Who gives a shit about new characters? Show me NEW WEAPONS, for christ sake!

screenshot_165628.jpg

Alright, either there are two versions (360 / ps3) or Capcom uphauled the graphics style a bit.

Dahbomb do you have a screen - cap of the old TGS trailer where Dante and Nero stand on top of each arm on Sparda and face each other -- it's this one but an older build:

5718620070720_174513_2_big.jpg

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
I hope DMC4 really earns the M rating this time. The previous entries were really light on the violence, for some reason.

Sagitario

It's all about the polish! :D
I'm loving the slightly improved look...

dmc428.jpg

Am I the only one who gets a cell-shaded vibe from some shots? Specially that one... skin texture+lighting+self-shadowing+focus...

Or this one...
dmc405.jpg

It actually reminds me of SMT:N...
160fs572842.jpg

karasu said:
This is the only game where self-shadowing has looked REALLY effin cool to me.

I think because it's pretty much the first game to implement self-shadowing in a game where they aren't trying to achieve 100% realism, rather -- it comes off more 50 to 50 real to this -- anime look. It's a great balance.

Some of the shots look straight "last-gen" CG.

Dahbomb

C- Warrior said:
http://medialib.computerandvideogames.com/screens/screenshot_165628.jpg

Alright, either there are two versions (360 / ps3) or Capcom uphauled the graphics style a bit.

Dahbomb do you have a screen - cap of the old TGS trailer where Dante and Nero stand on top of each arm on Sparda and face each other -- it's this one but an older build:

http://www.jeux-france.com/Webmasters/Images/5718620070720_174513_2_big.jpg
The graphics are OBVIOUSLY updated. I mean the last time we saw the same images were from TGS 06... it's been almost a year now. I have the screencaps but my Photobucket's bandwidth is exceeded. :(
Am I the only one who gets a cell-shaded vibe from some shots? Specially that one... skin texture+lighting+self-shadowing+focus...
Yes... it's probably because they are giving DMC4 an "anime" style look since just about everything in DMC is very anime like. It's a cool stylized look and I am liking it.

AAK

Petrarca said:
that has to be the BEST BEST BEST animation in all generations!!!!!

tossing around a 30-foot monster like piece of lettuce

The most impressive thing about it is that they pulled it off without even touching QTE's. Truly destined to be the greatest actiong game for a long time to come.

some how, ever since Nero was announce as the NEW Dante, i always thought that it was a bad idea for the developer to create a new character that resemble so many characteristics of the old one like they both wears red, white hair, gun, sword... they should put more effort into character design.

arias

Banned
Red Blaster said:
You mean to tell me that they're delaying the PS3 version so they can finish up the 360 version?

Microsoft sprinkle a little bit of their bling bling and why not?

Actually it sounds like the stupidest idea I know. Deliberate delaying..

Dahbomb

WORLDWIDEWII said:
some how, ever since Nero was announce as the NEW Dante, i always thought that it was a bad idea for the developer to create a new character that resemble so many characteristics of the old one like they both wears red, white hair, gun, sword... they should put more effort into character design.
As opposed to creating someone like that blond, horned freak from Onimusha 4? I think Capcom learned their lessons with that game...

Tiduz

Eurogaime
Its funny how this game was ripped 800 holes just a few months ago, and now most of the people love it, i love it when a game comes together plus i dont care if the snow level doesnt look that good, the screens i am seeing now blow me away.

DMC + PS3/360 = win

now if only a new trailer comes that shows some of this stuff in motion, or even better yet.... a demo (which i have been hoping for since e3 2k6...)

dmc406.jpg

edit: Why is the rebellion in sparda's head in that screenshot? :lol

WORLDWIDEWII said:

In case you lack the ability to connect A to B, there is probably a reason to their similar appearances. Just a thought you know, not too difficult to now is it?

karasu

AAK said:
nero.gif

Nero >>> Vergil

Big deal. He's just on fresher technology. Virgil took Beowolf out like the bathroom trash. Give him some of this next gen spin and you will see wonders.

Dahbomb

Tiduz said:
Why is the rebellion in sparda's head in that screenshot? :lol
Dante used it to block Nero's gun shot and it slipped out of his hands on to the statue. It happens during the cutscene.

AAK said:
nero.gif

nero.gif

Untitled-1.gif

Nero >>> Vergil

Using the devil bringer on Berial takes off a lot of damage -- worried the fight might be too easy, DMC's trademark is to have super-hard bosses 10 minutes from the start of the game :(

Although, I'd imagine most people to be too stupid to realize you can do near-cutscene like super attacks without shenmue-qte's popping up on the screen.

Dahbomb

C- Warrior said:
Using the devil bringer on Berial takes off a lot of damage -- worried the fight might be too easy, DMC's trademark is to have super-hard bosses 10 minutes from the start of the game :(

Although, I'd imagine most people to be too stupid to realize you can do near-cutscene like super attacks without shenmue-qte's popping up on the screen.
Demo was on easy, and you need to dish out a lot of punishment on Berial to get him in that state. Even then, I have calculated that you if you are "good" you can dish out that much damage in just raw hits without even needing to do the Devil Bringer. Of course it gets the job done much faster this way and it makes for some nice eye candy for the casuals.

And yeah, most people aren't even going to know what to do unless they are told so.

Tiduz

Eurogaime
C- Warrior said:

i saw another vid a long time ago, and the move did WAY less damage, maybe its on easy in the gif i made there?

Dahbomb said:
Dante used it to block Nero's gun shot and it slipped out of his hands on to the statue. It happens during the cutscene.

That is awesome :D

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Dahbomb said:
I didn't post all the images because it would kill bandwidth. I guess I HAVE gotten softer over the years...

5718620070720_174532_7_big.jpg

This image right here is actually in-game as seen in the scans with the rest of the same images.

My FAITH in this game is renewed. Definitely buying the PS3 version of this awesome game.

RyuHayate

dralla said:
I hope Agnus dies in the intro of the game..he looks so damn stupid and out of place

I originally had the same thoughts about Jester in DMC3. As it turned out, I actually liked the silly prick.

neojubei

dmc414.jpg

Nero is growing on me. :D Capcom is really making this game look so much better than before. It pains me to think Capcom is delaying this game for the 360 version or we could be playing this game this year. oh well.... I am still buying it, and still get to play it so i guess thats something to think about.

neojubei

karasu said:
he gets a cool look, and Dante gets cowboy boots. :/

Who does? Nero? lol. He looks like someone out of kingdom hearts. lol. Dante may wear cowboy boots, but damn it man, he is still badass.

karasu

neojubei said:
Who does? Nero? lol. He looks like someone out of kingdom hearts. lol. Dante may wear cowboy boots, but damn it man, he is still badass.

That arm of his is just plain awesome looking. he makes Dante's coat look old and musty.

Tiduz

Eurogaime
Judging from my expierence with DMC1/3, this game is in my top 3 list of must gets.

i actually never doubted this game :)

neojubei

Hitler Stole My Potato said:
Shock and Awe.

What's wrong with that? I wish i can play the game now. If waiting for the xbox version gives the ps3 version more dev time, I'm all for it. I want this to be the best DMC game of the series.

Tiduz said:
Judging from my expierence with DMC1/3, this game is in my top 3 list of must gets.

Same here.

karasu said:
That arm of his is just plain awesome looking. he makes Dante's coat look old and musty.

IMHO, that arm has nothing on Dante's smug and cocky attitude.

dmc420.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom