• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do GAF girls act like men in threads ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
I seem to act more like a girl than most girls do online. I haven't quite figured out why people presume I am one.

:lol

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
shintoki said:
I seem to act more like a girl than most girls do online. I haven't quite figured out why people presume I am one.

sparkle this bitch

Your pink avatar. Maybe?

Triple U

Banned
DanteFox said:
Sometimes, but for the most part I just see GAF men acting like girls in threads. :p
sad but true. People bitch and whine about every little thing hell at least when real women complain its about something kinda important.

JTran2003

Shanadeus said:
... but then people start throwing around the "S"-word.

:/

there probably just angry or whatever... times have changed as well. being oneself is more attractive then that fake crap then finding out who they really are later when you assumed her to be herself in the first place... "S"-word is also just a word and if it doesnt get to her, just makes her look more attractive IMO.

Dexvex said:
sad but true. People bitch and whine about every little thing hell at least when real women complain its about something kinda important.

For more on this, see that Sonic the Hedgehog 4 thread... Yeesh.

Yeef said:
%7B3AC9FAC4-C8C2-469A-B700-82A8DC65546F%7DImg100.jpg
That's kind of a major spoiler. And I thought at least one of them wasn't actually a girl?

Londa

Banned
Platy said:
I love how some of those dudes that say that videogames don't have girls say that games like patapon, loco roco, mario, yoshi island, nintendogs and other cute games are "for girls"

So they are cult games ?
...are girls the actualy target to cult niche games ????
i never saw some girl playing ikaruga insanely well ... but then again, i never saw any real live sane person playing ikaruga well =P

Yeah, I'm kind of sick of people doing that. How would guys like it if they was only expected to play "manly" games and not anything they see as fun. Just cause a girl has a DS in her hand doesn't mean she is playing Barbie Horse Racing.

why do so many gamers believe that girls don't play games and also why do so many people believe there are no girls on the internet? Maybe its just a saying people can't retire even though it doesn't apply now?

Inanna

Not pure anymore!
Londa said:
why do so many gamers believe that girls don't play games and also why do so many people believe there are no girls on the internet? Maybe its just a saying people can't retire even though it doesn't apply now?
Most people that I run into in online games don't treat me any differently just because I'm a girl. Occasionally I do run into creepy guys, and the guys who do not like playing with girls. But I couldn't care less what male gamers think. And I don't really go out of my way to tell everyone I'm a girl on gaming forums. I don't like "girl gamer" websites, either because they sound a bit attention whore-ish to me.

I feel like such a hypocrite because my PSN ID's got "girl" in it, *sigh*... I wanted something to do with Metal Gear and every ID I tried was taken. After 20 or so tries, my cousin used girl and the bloody thing accepted it! I wanted to switch but I've bought tons of stuff on it, + the trophies.

Red Scarlet

Inanna said:
Most people that I run into in online games don't treat me any differently just because I'm a girl. Occasionally I do run into creepy guys, and the guys who do not like playing with girls. But I couldn't care less what male gamers think. And I don't really go out of my way to tell everyone I'm a girl on gaming forums. I don't like "girl gamer" websites, either because they sound a bit attention whore-ish to me.

I feel like such a hypocrite because my PSN ID's got "girl" in it, *sigh*... I wanted something to do with Metal Gear and every ID I tried was taken. After 20 or so tries, my cousin used girl and the bloody thing accepted it! I wanted to switch but I've bought tons of stuff on it, + the trophies.

Yeah, don't like those websites or steam groups and stuff. I'd like to think people want me to play with them based on my prowess in the game over anything else.

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
When I played a few rounds of Halo: Reach a few days ago, there was a girl gamer on the opposing team. She made it very clear that she was a girl, and that should would "beat up us fags." All while I heard on proxy chat her teammates constantly asking her rather insulting and fucked up stuff that I won't bother repeating here.

Best part is, she seemed to enjoy the attention regardless. She was more interested in calling me shit because I kept killing her.

Not my fault she kept falling for the same trick, though...

Yeef

cooljeanius said:
That's kind of a major spoiler. And I thought at least one of them wasn't actually a girl?
Don't really consider it a spoiler. Anyone not in the know would assume I was referring to the main character and anyone IN the know would get the reference! I'm pretty sure all of them were female.

Londa

Banned
Inanna said:

Yeah totally agree with the "girl gamer" sites. I forgot the sites name but it has a ton of so called "gamer girls" on it and they all wear "hey look at me I have boobs!" clothing all though their profile. I really can't stand those type of sites...

Also hate it when people say "I heard (insert a famous female actor or singer) plays games" like girls playing games is so exotic lol.

Inanna

Not pure anymore!
Red Scarlet said:
Yeah, don't like those websites or steam groups and stuff. I'd like to think people want me to play with them based on my prowess in the game over anything else.
I know. I also dislike how those girl groups boast on and on about kicking male gamers butt, like that's their sole reason to play games, just so they could beat guys.

And then there are some who like the attention they get from some guys. I dunno why guys have such a fascination/obsession with female gamers.

Yackie

Usually I don't really think about anyone on GAF as being a real person, let alone a guy vs. girl. I always just picture their avatar saying everything. It's a lot funnier that way too.

Inanna

Not pure anymore!
Londa said:
Yeah totally agree with the "girl gamer" sites. I forgot the sites name but it has a ton of so called "gamer girls" on it and they all wear "hey look at me I have boobs!" clothing all though their profile. I really can't stand those type of sites...

Also hate it when people say "I heard (insert a famous female actor or singer) plays games" like girls playing games is so exotic lol.
Yeah, they're the classic attention whores.

I have quite a few genuine female gamers on PSN that I like to play with. They're in it for games. Not to beat guys and then boast about it, or just pretend to game to get attention from guys.

Munch

Inanna said:
I know, and I also dislike how those girl groups boast on and on about kicking male gamers butt, like that's their sole reason to play games, just so they could beat guys. Well, it's not just girls. It's annoying when anyone (male or female gamers) boast about how great they are with games. And then there are some who like the attention they get from some guys. I dunno why guys have such a fascination/obsession with female gamers.

I admit to looking for girl gamer websites/groups/message boards because I didn't (at the time) have many friends who played video games. I'm looking for friends who are girls who play video games to hang out with but never seem to have any luck. I listen to Some Other Podcast for female perspective on games just because its cool to hear fellow girls talk about video games. I don't join them just so they can toot how sexy they are or how much ass they kick. It just seems like a lot of girls I run into don't play video games so I try to find female friends who are like minded.

Unfortunately, all the girls who seem to be into video games at my university are nuts and into (heavily) anime and seem to have weird socializing skills. So far I haven't found a female friend who I can be close to about other things and sit down and play video games with. And all the message boards I try to find are always old and outdated.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
Munch said:
I admit to looking for girl gamer websites/groups/message boards because I didn't (at the time) have many friends who played video games. I'm looking for friends who are girls who play video games to hang out with but never seem to have any luck. I listen to Some Other Podcast for female perspective on games just because its cool to hear fellow girls talk about video games. I don't join them just so they can toot how sexy they are or how much ass they kick. It just seems like a lot of girls I run into don't play video games so I try to find female friends who are like minded.

Unfortunately, all the girls who seem to be into video games at my university are nuts and into (heavily) anime and seem to have weird socializing skills. So far I haven't found a female friend who I can be close to about other things and sit down and play video games with. And all the message boards I try to find are always old and outdated.

Blah blah blah here's the thread.

And I guess on topic - I guess finding 'normal' girls who play video games would be an interesting pursuit, but your energies would be better spent just finding people who you can relate with, regardless of sex.

suzu

I think I'm pretty neutral sounding/acting.

Sometimes you'll get guys who give you shit for being a girl. If you're a female that is into games/or nerdy stuff then you must be socially-inept, fat, and ugly. Or if you're pretty/average looking then you're just looking for attention, haha.

Inanna

Not pure anymore!
Munch said:

I get what you're saying, I have two female friends in real that are also gamers. And it's a lot more fun to hang out with them compared to some of my male gamers friends. We're not extremely tom-boyish or annoyingly girly girl. Just normal girls who like gaming.

I'm not into anime myself, not that there is anything wrong with people that are into that stuff. But I do know a few girls from uni that are into anime... And they're extremely weird.

Munch

Inanna said:
I get what you're saying, I have two female friends in real that are also gamers. And it's a lot more fun to hang out with them compared to some of my male gamers friends. We're not extremely tom-boyish or annoyingly girly girl. Just normal girls who like gaming.

I'm not into anime myself, not that there is anything wrong with people that are into that stuff. But I do know a few girls from uni that are into anime... And they're extremely weird.

Yeah I used to love Anime/Manga before it became hard to discern between what was actually good and was crap. I started to lose my love for it when it became mainstream and everyone was in to it. Anime/Manga isn't bad, but the fans..SOME of the fans make it really hard to bear.

My only female friends who game are in Texas and we're not super close. I just need to meet one female gamer friend and I try to do it online if I have to. But one at my university would be excellent. One that I can actually get along with and be best friends with. I miss having a best friend.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Munch said:

I think that is partly because the women with decent social skills are aware of those negative stereotypes so they don't play up their interest in video games.

The OP kind of begs the question. Honestly, I'm not even sure what "act like men" is supposed to mean in the context of an internet message board.

Inanna

Not pure anymore!
Munch said:
Yeah I used to love Anime/Manga before it became hard to discern between what was actually good and was crap. I started to lose my love for it when it became mainstream and everyone was in to it. Anime/Manga isn't bad, but the fans..SOME of the fans make it really hard to bear.

My only female friends who game are in Texas and we're not super close. I just need to meet one female gamer friend and I try to do it online if I have to. But one at my university would be excellent. One that I can actually get along with and be best friends with. I miss having a best friend.
I used to love Samurai X (Rurouni Kenshin) when I was really young. Probably the only anime that I ever watched religiously. I just find them annoying now.

My best friend isn't a gamer. She plays mobile games like bejewelled on her mobile sometimes but that's about it, I'm not really bothered about that though. Finding someone you can get along with is hard as it is, but finding someone who's not only a great person but also a gamer too? That is going to be near impossible!

Kowak said:
Inanna, i cant believe you didnt get MAG.
I did, but loaned it to my cousin. I wasn't too enthusiastic about playing it after the beta, for some reason. Probably because of the whole map issue, plus I was already bored of the maps in the game. I might come back to it once we get more maps.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Think about it like this, compare the guys who like Anime/Manga and really let you know about it. To the guys who enjoy it, but don't ever seem to talk about it in real life unless it comes up.

It's the same for females. The ones who are going to let you know if they like it. Are probably going to be the exact same as the guys who do.

Mumei

shintoki said:

Pfft.

I always knew you were family. <33

Munch

Inanna said:
I used to love Samurai X (Rurouni Kenshin) when I was really young. Probably the only anime that I ever watched religiously. I just find them annoying now.

My best friend isn't a gamer. She plays mobile games like bejewelled on her mobile sometimes but that's about it, I'm not really bothered about that though. Finding someone you can get along with is hard as it is, but finding someone who's not only a great person but also a gamer too? That is going to be near impossible!

I did, but loaned it to my cousin. I wasn't too enthusiastic about playing it after the beta, for some reason. Probably because of the whole map issue, plus I was already bored of the maps in the game. I might come back to it once we get more maps.

Oh, I wouldn't mind having a best friend who isn't a gamer. I used to have one, but we've parted ways. I have made only 1 friend since 2007, and I'm dying for more. But college makes it pretty hard.

Kowak

Banned
Munch said:
Oh, I wouldn't mind having a best friend who isn't a gamer. I used to have one, but we've parted ways. I have made only 1 friend since 2007, and I'm dying for more. But college makes it pretty hard.

?????????? is that a joke, college should make it easier unless you completely fucked up on your first day.

Munch

Kowak said:
?????????? is that a joke, college should make it easier unless you completely fucked up on your first day.

Well, I don't have time to talk to people during lecture as I'm focusing on the class. Time before class and after class is hard because I'm just trying to get to my next class or settle in. I don't live on campus, I did try to join a club but they never got back to me and people normally just don't talk to me. And I'm horrible at starting conversations with other people.

I'm quite used to people just coming up to me and befriending people that way. College? People normally just care about themselves and you change classmates throughout the semesters anyways. Which is why I wouldn't mind making friends with a fellow Temple Owl on GAF than attempting in person.

JTran2003

Vox-Pop said:
It's way harder to make friends in college.

agreed. yes there is more different people, but in my experience, most are click-ish or nothing in common. Dont even meet half the people there as well cause of (insert reason)...

Vox-Pop

Contains Sucralose
JTran2003 said:
agreed. yes there is more different people, but in my experience, most are click-ish or nothing in common. Dont even meet half the people there as well cause of (insert reason)...
In classes most people just keep to themselves and it seems everyone has their own personal friends outside of school. And some just don't want to meet new people. We had a big thread about this a while back. For whatever reason I can't find people I like, or have things in common with.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
Vox-Pop said:
In classes most people just keep to themselves and it seems everyone has their own personal friends outside of school. And some just don't want to meet new people. We had a big thread about this a while back. For whatever reason I can't find people I like, or have things in common with.
There should be a GAF Chamber at every large city :lol

Munch

hateradio said:
There should be a GAF Chamber at every large city :lol

I figured there might be. I know there are some Temple University students running around GAF, but none have PM'ed me nor do I remember their SNs. So :(

Slavik81

Kenka said:
I am stunned to see how many times words like FHUTA, fuck, shit, cunt, drill, plumb are used in virtually all the threads posted in here. My question is : do girls that post on this forum as well enjoy acting like men do ? Use the same vocabulary and share the same attitude ?
They're females, not aliens.

Replicant

Munch said:
Well, I don't have time to talk to people during lecture as I'm focusing on the class. Time before class and after class is hard because I'm just trying to get to my next class or settle in. I don't live on campus, I did try to join a club but they never got back to me and people normally just don't talk to me. And I'm horrible at starting conversations with other people.

I'm quite used to people just coming up to me and befriending people that way. College? People normally just care about themselves and you change classmates throughout the semesters anyways. Which is why I wouldn't mind making friends with a fellow Temple Owl on GAF than attempting in person.

Those are your two mistakes. Living on campus does increase the likelihood of you knowing new people. However, no one is going to approach anyone if everyone keeps thinking "Oh, I wish so and so would come over and talk to me". I do admit that this mentality is pervasive and would continue throughout any adult's life, especially once you go into the workforce. You think it's hard making friends in college? Wait till you go into the workforce. In general though, it's far more difficult for adults to make new friends. Maybe it's their pride holding them back?

Maybe we need a separate thread for this but for some reason there's a reluctance for most people these days to initiate conversation first. It's like doing so makes you look weak. Like you're the one who wanted their friendship and not the other way around. But sometimes the other person actually want to know you as well but as afraid as you to initiate conversation. In the end, someone has to start and if it's not the other person, it'll have to be you. I wish more people would ditch their pride and start getting to know each other more easily. This is especially true for adults (who seem to have more mental barrier to do this than kids).

Munch

Replicant said:
Those are your two mistakes. Living on campus does increase the likelihood of you knowing new people. However, no one is going to approach anyone if everyone keeps thinking "Oh, I wish so and so would come over and talk to me". I do admit that this mentality is pervasive and would continue throughout any adult's life, especially once you go into the workforce. You think it's hard making friends in college? Wait till you go into the workforce. In general though, it's far more difficult for adults to make new friends. Maybe it's their pride holding them back?

Maybe we need a separate thread for this but for some reason there's a reluctance for most people these days to initiate conversation first. It's like doing so makes you look weak. Like you're the one who wanted their friendship and not the other way around. But sometimes the other person actually want to know you as well but as afraid as you to initiate conversation. In the end, someone has to start and if it's not the other person, it'll have to be you. I wish more people would ditch their pride and start getting to know each other more easily. This is especially true for adults (who seem to have more mental barrier to do this than kids).

I figured it'd be easier in the workforce than in college. College you get a new teacher and new set of classmates every semester. Workforce you're at least in the same place every day for the entire year like in middle school and high school. That's what's tripping me up. I'm not in the same environment with the same people all the time.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
Munch said:
I figured there might be. I know there are some Temple University students running around GAF, but none have PM'ed me nor do I remember their SNs. So :(
I just remembered, I saw some lolface at the start at the semester, which was badly drawn on a dusty wall on the fifth floor of one of the class buildings.

ok5qhl.jpg

On the side it said, "For the lulz." I wasn't sure if this was done by some gaffer or someone else, but the photo was on my iPhone for months (took it in January) until now. So, I guess there are some at my university, or former university since I'm graduating.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom