• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do I keep/own my digital 3ds games?

jorgejjvr

With the eshop shutdown im trying to buy a couple of essentials, digitally, to not have to deal with cases.

Is this a good strategy? or will i still somehow eventually lose my digital purchased 3ds games?

Do they need to be downloaded and installed already in my system, or can i go to eshop whenever to redownload them since I already own it? Thanks!

Also, games im considering purchasing:
a link between worlds
ocarina
majoras
fire emblem awakening
bravely default
bravely end layer
monster hunter 4

any other great games stuck ONLY on that system?

Thanks

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
If the whole store is shutting down, I think you need to have it saved on a SD card. You likely wont be able to redownload it. Large MicroSD cards are super cheap though.

And yeah, 3DS has an insane amount of great games that are truly unique. It's good for people to start thinking about this now.

FYI, 75% off Atlus sale going on now. I got Radiant Historia and Etrian Odyssey Next yesterday. Soul Hackers 1 is like $8.

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Yes, you will be able to re-download your deleted games. Probably not forever, though. Frankly it seems like burning money when Nintendo have decided to pull the plug themselves, I would look at alternative methods.

jorgejjvr

If the whole store is shutting down, I think you need to have it saved on a SD card. You likely wont be able to redownload it. Large MicroSD cards are super cheap though.

And yeah, 3DS has an insane amount of great games that are truly unique. It's good for people to start thinking about this now.

FYI, 75% off Atlus sale going on now. I got Radiant Historia and Etrian Odyssey Next yesterday. Soul Hackers 1 is like $8.
Sucks people will still lose them even when purchased. Allright, I'll make sure they are already downloaded and installed

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space

cireza

I think that soft-modding the console is the way to go after the shop closes... You already own all these games anyway, you can make your own backups.

However you should buy games that are eShop exclusive before it closes.

Last edited:

Midn1ght

Even after late March 2023, and for the foreseeable future...

I wonder how long until they decide to also remove your right to download your games.

If that happens, would that be the first time a big guy remove your rights to download what you legally purchased?

These companies can't wait to shut down every old stuff and remove access to your library so they can sell them again via backward compatibility, streaming and subscriptions.

UltimaKilo

Gold Member

How much was Radiant Historia?

Midn1ght

They already did this with the Wii.
Really? I never owned a Wii so I had no idea.
People who bought games on the Wii store don't have access to these games no more?
If that's the case, how can people be cool about it (and still buy digitally on Nintendo)?

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
With the eshop shutdown im trying to buy a couple of essentials, digitally, to not have to deal with cases.

Is this a good strategy? or will i still somehow eventually lose my digital purchased 3ds games?

Do they need to be downloaded and installed already in my system, or can i go to eshop whenever to redownload them since I already own it? Thanks!

Also, games im considering purchasing:
a link between worlds
ocarina
majoras
fire emblem awakening
bravely default
bravely end layer
monster hunter 4

any other great games stuck ONLY on that system?

Thanks
If you are collecting legally, then your best bet is to get a large SD card, download all your games, the image the card and storage that image on a back up drive somewhere.
If you have multiple 3ds systems it would also be smart to do the same process on multiple devices incase one device fails.

Thank you for letting us know. Will pick up Strange Journey Redux. I have the original on DS and the Dark Spire, plus the first 4 eterian Odyessy games.

What i really want to go on sale, never does. Fire emblem fates. I have all the other fire emblems but this one is always $40 and the whole game cost like $100. I have a fates black and white new 3ds xl (which is also valued high), and love fire emblem but can't get around the cost of buying this. If it was just $40 for the set then sure. Echos and Awakening are just $40. Should i skip fates entirely?

I’ve been trying to buy all the digital games I have been interested in. Next month, Nintendo will stop taking credit card payments on the 3DS eShop so, be aware of that. You can still buy gift cards and add them to your Nintendo account so, it’s an extra couple of steps.

VN1X

Banned
nintendo will come to your house, punch you and take away your games :lollipop_crying:

Last edited:
Top Bottom