• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do many Wii exclusive titles make full use of it's functionality?

I got a Wii a week ago, and I have a bunch of games. The one that stands out the most, of course, is Super Mario Galaxy. It's a great game, as you all know, but it also makes use of the Wii remote through the whole game in different ways. I felt like I was a kid again playing this game, and it's just amazing.. but after getting all the stars on my first playthrough, I of course had to move on.

So I've been trying different games, and it seems like nothing really switches it up with the functionality. It's been almost 3 years now since launch, I think. Are there any other GOOD games that make good use of the Wii remote? I really enjoyed playing Super Mario Galaxy with it. Though I have to admit the analog stick movement felt a bit sluggish to me. I couldn't really get it to fluidly do what I want, mainly the somersault which I often used to jump higher.. then got sick of trying and switched to the backflip.

I'm trying not to make this a Super Mario Galaxy love thread, but it's so damn charming. :lol

Ydahs

Metroid Prime 3 makes good use of the Wiimote. You'll understand why Wii owners always say that pointer controls > dual-analog.

EDIT: Also, Wii Sports Resort. Really good game and Motion+ is a treat.

Zack and Wiki comes to mind as well as most Nintendo games. No More Heroes also used waggle the right amount to actually enhance gameplay instead of abusing like plenty of other games.

I have Zack and Wiki and MadWorld (Matsunooooo :D ). I haven't played MadWorld yet though, but Zack and Wiki is pretty interesting so far. Should I bother with Trauma Center? A lot of people tell me to get No More Heroes but I don't really like Suda 51 games so I don't know.

AniHawk

Metroid Prime 3 is good. TP Wii is the definitive version for people with good taste in video games. Super Return of the Jedi is awesome but doesn't make much use of the Wii Remote.

NyxQuest is a great platformer you can get on WiiWare. It's $10 and was designed around the pointer controls of the Wii remote. Music's great too.

AniHawk said:
Metroid Prime 3 is good. TP Wii is the definitive version for people with good taste in video games. Super Return of the Jedi is awesome but doesn't make much use of the Wii Remote.

TP Wii.. hmm, I played it on the GC, but it looked like crap.. I guess the Wii version looks better on an HDTV... right?

Ydahs

DarknessTear said:
TP Wii.. hmm, I played it on the GC, but it looked like crap.. I guess the Wii version looks better on an HDTV... right?
Well, I guess progressive scan helps. You do have component cables, right?

DarknessTear said:
I have Zack and Wiki and MadWorld (Matsunooooo :D ). I haven't played MadWorld yet though, but Zack and Wiki is pretty interesting so far. Should I bother with Trauma Center? A lot of people tell me to get No More Heroes but I don't really like Suda 51 games so I don't know.

I like Trauma Center a lot and personally think New Blood (second Wii one) is the best in the series. Of course you should've played the games on DS by now and if you don't like those, don't bother. If you haven't played them, do that too.

As for No More Hereos, it is NOTHING like Suda51's other work. It's pretty much the most mainstream thing he's ever made. If you like good old fashion action games and light sabers, you'll enjoy it. It's also one of the funniest games in existence and totally over the top.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Trauma Center on Wii was a bit harder for me than on DS, but it still was alotta fun.

Lightgun games, if you're interested in them.

I have friends gushing over Dead Space Extraction (one described it as redefining lightgun games or something like that), but I can personally recommend the House of the Dead games, as a fan of the series and the humor in Overkill.

Also, there's Resident Evil Umbrella and Darkside Chronicles, as well as Time Crisis I think it is called.

Lastly, while it isn't a lightgun game, Resident Evil 4 makes great use of the Wii Remote, I'd say. It's one of the greatest feeling games I've played on the Wii, IMO.

There aren't that many games that make use of the controller in unique ways. The majority are waggle based :/. Seems the concept was there just to lure in casual gamers. When they try to use motion controls in a hardcore game they usually feel pretty shitty (unless it's a 1st party published game)

I guess rail-shooters and FPS can work well with the IR sensor of the Wii Remote. I mean even reviews say that Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition is the best version of the game...

nincompoop said:
Kororinpa and Marble Saga Kororinpa
I'm gonna have to disagree. Marble Saga Kororinpa is the worst Wii game I've played and owned. Seriously, how did they manage to fuck up the controls so much?

Osuwari

DarknessTear said:
Of course I have component cables!

the game looks the same as on GC.

might want to try it through the Wii's BC to see if progressive scan improves it good enough.

the GC version is better overall. no waggle sword + camera control + quick spins > pointer aiming.

MidnightScott said:
There aren't that many games that make use of the controller in unique ways. The majority are waggle based :/. Seems the concept was there just to lure in casual gamers. When they try to use motion controls in a hardcore game they usually feel pretty shitty (unless it's a 1st party published game)

It seems he's fine with waggle based games seeing as he's raving about the motion control in SMG.

Osuwari

MidnightScott said:

I guess rail-shooters and FPS can work well with the IR sensor of the Wii Remote. I mean even reviews say that Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition is the best version of the game...

IR was really the only good motion control before Motion + was out. old waggling sucked hard in most games where it required somewhat precise motions *glares at mp3's waggle segments*

Another game that did a great job of seamlessly integrating a few different uses of the Wiimote was Tomb Raider: Anniversary. I'm not sure how Underworld turned out on Wii, but Anniversary was excellent - particularly on the Wii where the IR and gestures added a lot to the experience. Dodging, aiming, climbing, using the flashlight, grappling, solving the Wii-exclusive puzzles...it all felt much more interactive, clearly a lot of effort went into that port and the game's quality flourished as a result. I'm still unsure of why its reviews were so MOR.

It's definitely not as varied with the Wiimote as Zack & Wiki was, but it's one of the best games on the console that manages to try hard to be versatile in its use of the console's technology. Metroid Prime was another great recommendation for that same reason.

Also, Elebits. Despite being a launch-window title, it remains a pretty cool showcase of the IR / gesture stuff. It's not the varied experience you asked for, but to this day it's one of the few games that really got depth-control right on the Wii - moving items in the 3D space works very well.

batbeg

I can't tell if you're looking for excellent implementation of one (or more) of the Wii's features, or if you're looking for games that have a great deal of diversity...?

In either case, my first suggestion is Disaster: Day of Crisis. Pointer-controlled shooting, lots of well-implemented, responsive motion controls, occassional driving stages in NES-style steering... it switches it up, and is excellent throughout.

Next up is Boom Blox, which makes great use of the pointer. Bash Party is probably the ideal one to go for here, though I've still not bought it so I can't talk about it specifically. Either way it's fun and the motion of throwing the ball is enjoyable and the entire game is something to be experienced.

For the suggested Zack and Wiki, I will say this: rent the game, do not buy it. The controls and game style are hit & miss, and while there's a lot of praise for it, the game does not click with everyone.

batbeg said:
I can't tell if you're looking for excellent implementation of one (or more) of the Wii's features, or if you're looking for games that have a great deal of diversity...?

In either case, my first suggestion is Disaster: Day of Crisis. Pointer-controlled shooting, lots of well-implemented, responsive motion controls, occassional driving stages in NES-style steering... it switches it up, and is excellent throughout.

Next up is Boom Blox, which makes great use of the pointer. Bash Party is probably the ideal one to go for here, though I've still not bought it so I can't talk about it specifically. Either way it's fun and the motion of throwing the ball is enjoyable and the entire game is something to be experienced.

For the suggested Zack and Wiki, I will say this: rent the game, do not buy it. The controls and game style are hit & miss, and while there's a lot of praise for it, the game does not click with everyone.

Oh hell yes on Disaster: Day of Crisis. I seriously don't know why I didn't mention it. But I have a feeling the OP probably has yet to homebrew his Wii to play import games like I do. :/

Diortem7

WarioWare! WarioWare! WarioWare!

Osuwari said:
the GC version is better overall. no waggle sword + camera control + quick spins > pointer aiming.
Very true, and you forgot to mention the reversed maps. That's what really kills the Wii version for me.

batbeg said:
Forgot about Boom Blox, and its sequel, Bash Party. A great game that uses the motion very well. It doesn't use the motion a lot (it's basically "strong throw" "medium throw" "weak throw") but it is very satisfying.

Bash Party also has downloadable levels and a better level editor. However, I feel the game is a little more... complicated, I guess, with a bunch of added stuff. Don't let that turn you away from it, though.

Diortem7 said:
WarioWare! WarioWare! WarioWare!

Very true, and you forgot to mention the reversed maps. That's what really kills the Wii version for me.
Warioware's another great one.

Also, I liked the reversed world. I flip-flop between the Wii and Gamecube versions when playing Twilight Princess, so the game feels somewhat fresh each time I play. I still get somewhat confused playing the game.

Osuwari said:
IR was really the only good motion control before Motion + was out. old waggling sucked hard in most games where it required somewhat precise motions *glares at mp3's waggle segments*

The only actual motion based controls in the game are the spring ball jump and the nunchuck grapple beam and they both work very well!

Anyway, Mario Kart Wii and Excitebots' Wii Wheel controls kick arse! (That and they're both great games! :D)

AniHawk

If you already have the GC version, don't bother upgrading. It's not really worth it unless you are a freak like me and want to try out both versions, or if you want a bit of a challenge considering the two versions are mirrored. When I played the GC version after first playing TP Wii, it still felt a little fresh.

Also, in addition to pointer controls, the menu and item selection was superior, and limited the amount of times you had to stop the actual game since there are only two slots for items in the GC version, making it practically a slideshow. Sword controls weren't actually a problem unless you have very weak wrists. The only bummer regarding TP's controls were the shield things. Because the controller is so much more comfortable and allows you to put your hands at your side instead of down together, the motion controls for the nunchuk were off pretty often, especially with the shield push.

But yeah, just get NyxQuest instead or something.

batbeg

DarknessTear said:

Okay, I just saw this, so will throw in my advice on here now that you apparently already have Z+W. Trauma Center is another I'd suggest a rent for (I bought New Blood and unfortunately just didn't enjoy it as much as the hype had led me to believe). It's a good game, but personally I've found some of the controls slightly iffy.

NMH... eh. My understanding is it isn't like other S51 games, so if that's what's holding you back, you may want to look into it. But I still found it thoroughly terrible. That said, I'm still looking forward to Desperate Struggle, so who knows :lol

AniHawk

No More Heroes was like a superior Samurai Champloo. A few things from Samurai Champloo made its way into NMH (and it makes sense considering NMH started as a PS2 game). Desperate Struggle looks to be an improvement on NMH like NMH was on SC. At least, I hope so.

antispin

its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its its

AniHawk said:
No More Heroes was like a superior Samurai Champloo. A few things from Samurai Champloo made its way into NMH (and it makes sense considering NMH started as a PS2 game). Desperate Struggle looks to be an improvement on NMH like NMH was on SC. At least, I hope so.

Kinda of a tangent, but is that Samurai Champloo game worth tracking down?

jufonuk

not tag worthy
EA Grand Slam Tennis

Lost Winds & Lost Winds Winter of the Melodias

if you want some online play (try Amongst others):

The Conduit (uses Wii Speak) & Onslaught, Also heard good things about Tetris Party and Bomberman Blast

AniHawk

jaundicejuice said:
Kinda of a tangent, but is that Samurai Champloo game worth tracking down?

Ehhh. Maybe if you're a fan of the show. It really does act like a basic NMH. Graphics are pretty basic. Music's not bad. It definitely has style. The voice acting's weird since they couldn't get the American actors back, but they did their best with the soundalikes.

Honestly, I didn't play a whole lot of it. I think I got up to Jin's second boss battle. Kinda hard to make a recommendation. Check out some youtube videos, though.

Spike

Indiana Jones and the Staff of Kings.

I'm not recommending the game because I think it is terrible, but then my brother loves it. It's definitely a try before you buy.

No More Heroes did pretty well. Swinging the Wiimote and Nunchuck for fighting and waggling it for reloading the swords power were pretty much the things I imagine to do with the Wiimote. And don't forget the awesome phone callings through the built in controller speakers, that was pretty cool.

AniHawk said:
Ehhh. Maybe if you're a fan of the show. It really does act like a basic NMH. Graphics are pretty basic. Music's not bad. It definitely has style. The voice acting's weird since they couldn't get the American actors back, but they did their best with the soundalikes.

Honestly, I didn't play a whole lot of it. I think I got up to Jin's second boss battle. Kinda hard to make a recommendation. Check out some youtube videos, though.

They couldn't get Steve Blum? Isn't he in, like, everything? I am a fan of the show and Sidetracked is the one Grasshopper game release in North America that I haven't played. While that's not really the ringing endorsement I was looking for, it's 20-30$CND on Amazon. I might snag it.

batbeg

DarknessTear said:
Fuck. Disaster Day of Crisis isn't out in the USA? Is it ever coming?

No. Luckily, homebrewing the Wii is simple as can be - or at least it used to be. I'm not sure if anything has changed recently, so your best bet would be checking in at the Wii Homebrew thread.

batbeg said:
No. Luckily, homebrewing the Wii is simple as can be - or at least it used to be. I'm not sure if anything has changed recently, so your best bet would be checking in at the Wii Homebrew thread.
I have trouble with European games on my Wii, and so does a friend of mine.
He imported Disaster, both he and I tried it on our Wiis, and we both got green screens, and our TVs can't display PAL anyway. Pal60 worked, but it was in black and white and didn't look too good.

He had to sell it. In retrospect, I kinda wish he didn't, because I could have tried it out in the Wii emulator.

So... If your TV can't display PAL or PAL60, then you might want to be cautious when it comes to importing PAL games.

AniHawk

jaundicejuice said:
They couldn't get Steve Blum? Isn't he in, like, everything? I am a fan of the show and Sidetracked is the one Grasshopper game release in North America that I haven't played. While that's not really the ringing endorsement I was looking for, it's 20-30$CND on Amazon. I might snag it.

It was around this time that Steve Blum was made to join the union, and was made unavailable for uncredited voice roles like that. Same thing happened with Crispin Freeman, and it's why the extra stuff in Phantom Brave Wii has neither of them.

As for the game itself, if you really really liked the show and/or NMH, and aren't looking for an experience that's better than either of them, I think $20 is a good price. $30 might be pushing it. I think I got mine at $40. I don't really regret it though.

trinest

Buttonbasher said:
Another Code: R

Import it.
This- it seams Cing's games really shows some unique puzzles for what ever system its on.

Disaster: Day of Crisis was also hands down a good solid game, its a shame it didn't get much attention. Just a cult following.

Yagharek

This is a valid question, but I have to say that by virtue of being exclusive, it doesnt matter whether or not a game makes use of Wii functionality aside from working. Case in point" Fire Emblem.

That said, there are a few good examples of games that do make full use of functionality

a) No More Heroes with its combos and hilarious
peurile
use of waggling motions in a vertical manner

b) Metroid Prime for the best FPS controls on a console full stop

c) Boom Blox for some cathartic throwing action (simple, but effective and good fun)

d) Swords and Soldiers - no reason a PC version couldnt exist, but one does not and this game works lovely with a pointer

e) MadWorld - like Streets of Rage with a bit more interactivity

boiled goose

good with gravy
Wii controls Excitebots, Zack and wiki, no more heroes, madworld, wario ware, wii sports resort, boom blox trauma center, Metroid prime trilogy, Resident evil 4, pro evolution soccer, tiger woods wii, grand slam tennis

Rail shooters (pointer): Extraction, house of the dead overkill, HOTD 2/3, ghost squad, RE UC, RE UC, RE DC (soon?)

not heavy use of wii controls but damn good: Muramasa, little king story, Smash, super mario strikers

honorable mentions (more niche stuff): deadly creatures, the conduit (it really is not as bad as people say), okami (might consider ps2 version instead), elebits, kororimpa, mercury meltdown, cursed mountain

finally: fitness games! wii fit plus or ESA ! great to get non gamers to play!

Forgot Wiiware!

Must haves;
World of goo.
swords and soldiers
bit trip beat
both lost winds
and many more!

Top Bottom