• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do not play Zelda TOTK without learning how to unlock this ability!

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
I don't know how many hours I've spent playing this game(probably around 60-100 hours). I mentioned my negative experiences with transportation in the main discussion, but nobody mentioned this feature there. Actually, it's a key feature like the fuse or ultrahand, but I'll still give a spoiler warning:

It's f*ing AUTO-BUILD!!!

I had initially found "that part" of the map boring, so I left it for later. I'm almost at the end of the game now and just discovered this feature.
Bryan Cranston Reaction GIF

I remember those moments when I wandered barefoot in the deserts for hours because I couldn't be bothered to make a vehicle, and I thank Nintendo for this unfortunate design choice.

I also just learned about the fairies that upgrade your armor,
but I still haven't found a single one, which is another problem. I believe these two elements should have been available earlier in the game, like fuse and ultrahand.

Robb

Gold Member
Yeah I’m not sure why they hid it behind a quest line. Would’ve been better if you just got that ability at the same time that you got the Ultrahand ability.

I played maybe halfway through the game before I found it myself. I’m not a huge fan of building stuff though. So it never bothered me that much. But still.

Last edited:

acidagfc

Wait, what?!
Where can I find it?

Edit: googled it. Fuck, I was *this* close, but got tired of the location and went to explore elsewhere. Shieeeeet.

Last edited:

daveonezero

Banned
I knew the quests in lookout unlocked abilities and features. I put them off for a while and recently unlocked them.

It’s pretty nice. I enjoyed playing before this thing sand no where near completely the game.

Noxxera

No idea wtf auto-build is. prolly the last item on my ability wheel I haven't unlocked. Just started playing totk like last week with not too many hours.

Sidenote: I beat the game on saturday/sunday I believe when I started on thursday. Wouldn't have been able to do it unless I had played botw a lot. Got like 9 hearts I believe and 1 upgrade on stamina then I went to town on last boss(es). Suffice to say I died a lot but it was fun. Certain food (in abundance you should know which kind if you've beaten it) and a lot of arrows was critical for me to beat it tho.

I literally haven't done any temples yet (if they exist) only just finished going to all heiroglyph sites. Last fight was dope af tho, and the cinematics has been cool too.

Last edited:

Kuranghi

I just got my piggyback guides in the other day so I'm going to go to town on the game now, I like to know the hidden numbers for cooking. I also went straight to this place because I heard this ability is there and clearly is important to making things work more smoothly. I found the NPC and went to the building where it gives you a clue as to what you have to do, but was kinda confused on what I should be actually doing to get the quest that gives you the ability going, I feel like its two separate quests I've mixed together, I presume the guide book will make things clear though.

I'm enjoying exploring the plateau again and finding the references to BotW plateau anyway so its fun to explore it all, I just fought a Electric Wizzrobe and I was super disappointed that a topaz rod doesn't 1-shot him. Do I have to use water in some other form like an arrow with a water fruit/blue chu jelly or it just an oversight? He's dead now so I can't check right away. I assumed water to electric would 1-shot them like ice does to fire enemies and vice versa.

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
Click HERE to discover the name of this ability!
I hadn't shared the name of the feature for sensitive individuals who consider such information as spoilers (other features are already being talked about everywhere), but you're right, it does seem like clickbait. What am I going to gain from it though? I just wanted people to avoid suffering like I did lol.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Battling Ganon without the elusive master sword, being equipped with the right food and inventory is a bad idea.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Yeah, its the first thing i unlocked but its shocking that they didnt give you the ability on the tutorial island.
The game wasn't ready for you to autobuild your 21 explosive barrel mega barrel bomb that annihilates almost anything that moves.

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
I think it's ok, you really don't need it, as I usually build stuff from scratch one way or the other.
The autobuild is nice because of the way it's presented, with the parts flying in and the "whash" sound when it all glues together.

what is strange is that I can't get anymore rockets, all of the orbs stuff show it's 0.

calistan

Unlocked it pretty early but I never used it even once. Seems pointless, I never really built things outside of the shrines and the final dungeon where you're forced to build a few simple machines.

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
What in tarnation I founds it as soon as I beated the tutorial

its the main mine in the depths underground games leads you right there

daveonezero

Banned
Unlocked it pretty early but I never used it even once. Seems pointless, I never really built things outside of the shrines and the final dungeon where you're forced to build a few simple machines.
I built the air bike and just keep using that. Got to Gerudo pretty easily.

Kataploom

Gold Member
Haven't unlocked it, I paused the game to play other stuff right after beating 4th temple so at around 100 hours, I was thinking on going to the depths one I get back to it since I've barely put a foot on it, but I've seen many videos showing it, impossible not to get spoiled with the biggest game of the year, even to date videos and memes are flourishing

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
Seems pointless
Pointless? I don't remember how many times I walked long distances to avoid making a vehicle(especially a flyable one). Placing/adjusting the fans/wheels in the right place, transporting pieces from one place to another and so on can take a long time. With this feature, it seems like you can create any vehicle you want, even without having the necessary zonai parts. Additionally, you can instantly recreate devices you've made before. Knowing they would eventually disappear, I put many of my projects on hold, considering them not worth the effort. Now, I am ready to create robots that emit fire from certain parts.
Cracking Up Lol GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

You can watch a short tutorial that summarizes the ability in here.

Last edited:

daveonezero

Banned
It's okay to talk about the underground area.

But yes, it was stupid to have this as an optional quest, almost as stupid as elden ring randomly unlocking spirit ashes.
I think they should have really directed you to this ability and those quests first.

Instead I was overwhelmed with quests. I knew from just discussion that I wanted to go do those quests to unlock features of the Pad and the last ability.

Unfortunately I was spoiled on other things.

Bit to mention I’d image if you jumped right into that quest it might be a little hard. I was pretty well equipped with full stamina and a few extra heats.

K' Dash

Mean Girls Laugh GIF

The game basically tells you what to do first, the fact that you wander around doing aimless shit it’s your problem… and mine too.

I discovered the feature like 50 hours in, I ain’t even mad, I remembered the game pushing me todo do certain side quest and I left that for later.

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
It's one of the first quests you get. I also didn't unlock it until many tens of hours in though. And when I did it actually wasn't by following that quest, I just stumbled upon the place. It's nice to have, but absolutely not essential. I don't do a lot of non-required vehicle building though, I mostly use my horse for getting around.

But I don't know how you didn't know about fairy fountains for that long. I guess you haven't played BOTW? You also must have not spoken to anyone at the stables, so that's on you! I always speak to everyone in every new location.

Last edited:

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
It's one of the first quests you get. I also didn't unlock it until many tens of hours in though. And when I did it actually wasn't by following that quest, I just stumbled upon the place.

But I don't know how you didn't know about fairy fountains for that long. I guess you haven't played BOTW? You also must have not spoken to anyone at the stables, so that's on you! I always speak to everyone in every new location.
Yes, I hadn't played Breath of the Wild. They mentioned a fairy in one of the stables, but she? wanted me to play music. Since I didn't understand how to play, I gave up talking to her and continued on. I don't remember them saying that the fairy would enhance my armor. In the description of the luminous stone, it said something like 'used to strengthen armor,' so I was just keeping it, hoping that someday someone who can strengthen armor would come across my path.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Yes, I hadn't played Breath of the Wild. They mentioned a fairy in one of the stables, but she? wanted me to play music. Since I didn't understand how to play, I gave up talking to her and continued on. I don't remember them saying that the fairy would enhance my armor. In the description of the luminous stone, it said something like 'used to strengthen armor,' so I was just keeping it, hoping that someday someone who can strengthen armor would come across my path.

At least one or a few NPCs do talk about her being able to upgrade stuff I'm pretty sure.

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
At least one or a few NPCs do talk about her being able to upgrade stuff I'm pretty sure.
They probably have said it. In the beginning, I used to play for about an hour a day, so I might have forgotten as days went by. There are so many things in the game; while keeping one thing in mind, I forget the other. I take lots of screenshots. However, I still miss things from time to time.

daveonezero

Banned
Yeah I mean it is part of the beauty and genius of this game.

People play it entirely differently because of things they learn. I’m not sure it decreases anyone’s enjoyment.

You don’t need fairies. You could just upgrade hearts. You don’t need vehicles.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
K

I think there is a lot of barrels in Kalora/Calora Cave but if you find any two barrels just combine and just keep autobuilding more barrels until you hit the 21 object cap (base item + 20 attachments).

And each mega barrel bomb only costs 63 Zonaite to build which is very cheap.

Put it this way, You need to grind out the underground for Auto Build and Battery live to actually be fun and viable.

Stock up on stone hammers because you gonna need to mine a lot of ore in the underground :D

Top Bottom