• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do people ever eat koala bears?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do people ever eat koala bears?
Surely someone has tossed one on a barbie before. I like eucalyptus cough drops, so I'm betting a koala buger might be tasty.

Fusebox

Banned
I've eaten emu, kangaroo and crocodile but I've never even thought of eating a koala. :lol

Do people eat bears in America?

Fuzzery

Fusebox said:
I've eaten emu, kangaroo and crocodile but I've never even thought of eating a koala. :lol

They used to, famous Grizzly Bear steaks mannn

Fusebox said:

I was having a cough drop and I was thinking about it. I've actualy wondered for years how koalas would taste. It would probably be a huge let down though.

I used to be fascinated with penguins (well, cooking them) and thought it would be fun to scoop them up in a net if I ever happened to be at an antarctic research station. Then someone told me they probably wouldn't taste good since all they eat is fish. Well, fish eat fish, and fish taste fishy to start with, but I guess that's different.

You can hunt bears in the US. I assume at least some of the hunters eat them.

Fusebox said:

Semi-irrelevant, since Koalas aren't actually bears. A closer comparison would be something like a possum maybe. Some people eat them, I think. I never have.

While attempting to find out how edible Koalas are on wikipedia, I learned that some colonies have been hard hit by Chlamydia, of all things. The more you know.

kozmo7

Truly deserves to shoot laserbeams from his eyes
Do Koala Yummies count? I remember having these things as a kid. To be honest, if they are anything like a real Koala I'll join your twisted yet strangely satisfying feast.

conso-koalanomachi.jpg

kozmo7 said:
Do Koala Yummies count? I remember having these things as a kid. To be honest, if they are anything like a real Koala I'll join your twisted yet strangely satisfying feast.

conso-koalanomachi.jpg

I want some of those so bad right now :(

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Fusebox said:

Yes they do and in Japan as well, Hokkaido is quite famous for it.

And people possum in the states as well.. never had myself too, but hare is good.

I think the meat would be poisonous from koalas.

Cruceh

Banned
kozmo7 said:

conso-koalanomachi.jpg
Chocolate ftw! Don't really like the strawberry ones. Never tasted the milk-filled one.

"gundaroo bullock" is roasted koala, circa 1890's in australia.
I can't find any impressions on how it was, but apparently not poisonous (or not enough!)

I sure some lame environmentalists have it on some protected list. :(

Possum. All I know is that granny from the beverly hillbilies most have lived of this. Possum this, possum that. I bet they are quite tasty.

Lots of recipes out there for porcupine. Maybe I'll try that sometime. They like to climb trees, and I bet a few good shakes followed by a plop (or mild splat) is all it would take.

No, no one eats koala down here in Australia; but we do eat Drop Bears, which are a bit more ferocious than the usually docile koalas and are known to attack people in packs.

Talka

I always thought it would be a great idea to shell out for a black market endangered animals breeding ground, and then sell the flesh of Koala bears, Narwhales, Panthers, and Manatees to the highest bidder. It'd bank on the idea of rich people buying stupid shit.

Uncle

Talka said:
I always thought it would be a great idea to shell out for a black market endangered animals breeding ground, and then sell the flesh of Koala bears, Narwhales, Panthers, and Manatees to the highest bidder. It'd bank on the idea of rich people buying stupid shit.

I think I've seen a movie with a similar plot. Might have had Brando in it...

S. L.

kozmo7 said:

conso-koalanomachi.jpg
YES!
I loved those as a kid!

Ogni-XR21

Blackace said:
Yes they do and in Japan as well, Hokkaido is quite famous for it.

And people possum in the states as well.. never had myself too, but hare is good.

I think the meat would be poisonous from koalas.

Hare is great but I prefer rabbit, we eat that in Germany too. I think I know what I'll be cooking very soon.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
For the love of god there is no "bear" attached to the animal called "koala". Not only is a koala a marsupial, but it looks more like a wombat than a bear.

Bear recipe anyone?
Bear Meat Loaf
3 lbs ground bear meat 1 lb ground beef (fatty)
3 cans Campbell's French onion soup
3 eggs
1 1/2 cups of bread crumbs
1 can mushrooms 8 oz or larger
1/4 cup ketchup
garlic powder (to taste)
black pepper (to taste)

This recipe is very simple heck I invented it so how hard can it be.
First drain the broth out of 2 cans of the French onion soup and set aside. Next put the other ingredients (except 3rd can of soup) into a mixing bowl. Add the onions from the two cans of soup and mix well.
Put into roasting pan and pour broth and the third can of onion soup over top. Set oven at 350 degrees and cook for 2 1/2 hours or until done.
Make sure that the meat is thoroughly cooked.
http://www.bowhunting.net/susieq/bear.html

kbear said:
thread is absolutely despicable
100 g
neopolitanmastiff695.jpg
meat, boiled until cooked through, shredded
500 ml
neopolitanmastiff695.jpg
stock from
neopolitanmastiff695.jpg
bones and
neopolitanmastiff695.jpg
organ meats
20g green onions
10g perilla leaves
100g of taro root, soaked for several days, with the water changed each day

Bring the meat, vegetables, broth, and soaked taro root to a gentle simmer. Add salt, minced garlic, mashed ginger, red pepper, and more perilla leaves to taste. Continue cooking at a slow simmer for 30 minutes to an hour.

Serve ladled atop a raw, skinned cat.

kbear

slidewinder said:
100 g
neopolitanmastiff695.jpg
meat, boiled until cooked through, shredded
500 ml
neopolitanmastiff695.jpg
stock from
neopolitanmastiff695.jpg
bones and
neopolitanmastiff695.jpg
organ meats
20g green onions
10g perilla leaves
100g of taro root, soaked for several days, with the water changed each day

Bring the meat, vegetables, broth, and soaked taro root to a gentle simmer. Add salt, minced garlic, mashed ginger, red pepper, and more perilla leaves to taste. Continue cooking at a slow simmer for 30 minutes to an hour.

Serve ladled atop a raw, skinned cat.

neopolitanmastiff695.jpg

Wanace

Koalas are a near-threatened species, they shouldn't be eaten.

But if I was given a chance to eat one, I probably would, since it's already been slaughtered and is ready to be prepared anyway.

Xater

I would definately try one. The only "special" meat I ate was kangaroo and austrich.

If I ever have the opportunity I will also try out dog and cat. :D

I'm not keen on hearing this eating cat / dog talk. They were specificaly raised as a species to be pets. But when I do, I need only to think back to Deadwood episodes to make me feel better.

Chimp / Ape? No thanks. It would be like eating a really, really, ugly person.

I don't think koalas are all that threatened. There was talk about culling several hundred on some island due to over population. They also "fix" koalas so they can't breed for population control. I see this as a potentialy tasty oportunity.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Fusebox said:
A few years ago I had bear stew by accident. It was at a buffet and the soup wasn't labeled. Only when I noticed the strange taste did I check with an employee. Ironically, the buffet was in Yellowstone National Park.

birdman

kozmo7 said:

conso-koalanomachi.jpg

Those koala cookies are the shit! The only place I can find them are in Asian markets though.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
I can't believe this thread is almost to two pages and not one picture has been posted. why would you want to eat this? Do you hate happiness?

KoalaSweet080402_156.JPG

That thing looks like it's suffering from the kind of existential angst that can only be cured by INGESTION, medium-rare style.

Goldrusher

kozmo7 said:

conso-koalanomachi.jpg

Over here, they are sold by a German brand "Schöller":

3424724.jpg

7277248.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom