• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do we have a reason to trust Sony and Nintendo? (NSA, GCHQ related)

Technically your not suppose to trust companies. However Nintendo and Sony don't really offer many services that spying can really occur. Nintendo makes video game software and Sony is primarily a hardware company with the exception of their entertainment side if things where they are more concerned with Piracy and the such.

velociraptor

I don't really see what Sony or Nintendo could spy me with. My game purchases? Furthermore, they are not based in America. As Japanese companies, I don't see why they would be obliged to hand out data willy nilly.

Microsoft is a real concern because of their entire ecosystem and the fact they own Windows. Considering how they have been compliant in letting NSA bypass encryption for Outlook and Skydrive, I have no hope for them when it comes to Kinect.

ninjarr

Neo Member
Japanese government secretly forcing Nintendo to appear to have crap internet features as a red-herring for the data they're mining about Europe/NA citizens? IT ALL MAKES SENSE.

War is on the horizon and the enemy is using Nintendo against us.

Oersted

Snowden said "all companies with physical ties to the US" that would include pretty much every big global company, if you think about it...

Yep.

Nintendo's lack of internet and technological competence is the greatest form of security against government tapping. Even if they wanted to, they wouldn't know how to help the government access their data.

Like I pointed out, WiiU uses Google apps. Vita is using AT & T which are known to provide data directly to NSA:

mantidor

You think Terrorists are going to plot something using MiiVerse?
The data collected there is both trivial and open to the public. Anyone can see it.

and will they plot it through PSN? if anything I'd use miiverse, no one would expect that :p.

The point is, Nintendo's lack of account system doesn't mean at all they don't know or have the tecnology, after all they can restore your purchases if your hardware is stolen, even on the account-lacking 3DS.

mgcastro

Are people even doubting that corporations give out our personal information to governments and/or other unknown parties?

I have always assumed Sony, Nintendo and every other big corporation manipulates my personal information indiscriminately.

JordanN

Banned
Leaked picture of Nintendo spying
LmT0NYy.jpg

As for Sony, who knows what information they might sell to stay afloat.

Riki

and will they plot it through PSN? if anything I'd use miiverse, no one would expect that :p.

The point is, Nintendo's lack of account system doesn't mean at all they don't know or have the tecnology, after all they can restore your purchases if your hardware is stolen, even on the account-lacking 3DS.
Right, but the point is, you're not likely to have any personal information on that account that you care about.
Like I said, you can not trust Sony and Nintendo, but I doubt the NSA is interested much in what they can offer.

wsippel

Banned
Are people even doubting that corporations give out our personal information to governments and/or other unknown parties?

I have always assumed Sony, Nintendo and every other big corporation manipulates my personal information indiscriminately.
Nintendo doesn't even want your personal information in the first place, so they have nothing to work with.

batbeg

Do people really think Nintendo "doesn't know how the Internet works"?

They only gather information they find useful, but I wouldn't be surprised at all from them giving access to say, Miiverse censored posts to US officials that maybe were "troubling". Yes they probably don't record IPs, or maybe they do, there's no reason at all to just trust Nintendo, the quality of their service regarding accounts doesn't mean they don't have massive data on you.

I assume many, like myself, might have said that in jest. I hope so, anyway.

Tamanon

Banned
As long as you don't give the NSA your friend code, you're safe.

Also, not American companies so not quite as willing to go along with the US government, would cause issues in their home country.

Biker19

Banned
This is why you only stick to pre-paid cards, people (in terms of stuff like DLC & buying anything online), & don't put any personal info inside of your console.

Can they threaten to cut them off for operating in America?

With the NSA going as far as they have, I doubt something like that would make them
immune so long as they're operating overseas. I don't really understand the perspective where they are immune, really.

They can make it a pre-requisite for exporting to the US market.

Consumers everywhere will riot if they try to do that.

PhantomR

Banned
Can we trust Sony and Nintendo? Please, leave fanboy wars out.

Nintendo's lack of internet and technological competence is the greatest form of security against government tapping. Even if they wanted to, they wouldn't know how to help the government access their data.

I trust Nintendo because they don't really know how the internet works and it wouldn't be their fault if they let go of my information.

Nintendo is stuck in the 90s when it comes to online. They couldn't even pull off the same stuff MS did even if they tried.

Nintendo doesn't even know how to connect your Wii U account with your 3DS account. The NSA employees would rather shoot themselves than go through the Nintendo account mess.

Sony? Hardly worried.
Nintendo with their current tech? Not at all lol.

Leaked picture of Nintendo spying

rHF8K.gif

The government, they know my Streetpass Mii profile, with that vital info (shirt colour, likes, dreams and cats or dogs) they can predict how I think...its an election changer...oh wait the average age of a 3DS owner is too young to vote. Phew, I was worried for a moment.
Sorry, I had to throw a Nintendo joke in there so went with the one older than "online?"...teh kiddeh but seriously don't fill out your streetpass profile people, you could streetpass a spoy at any moment and that's it...

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own

this post doesnt even make sense

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Nintendo collects a lot of data from the services they provide and you are notified of this fact. This includes stuff like Swapnote and Miiverse.

However they never really ask for personal information, and tend to discourage sharing it on their platforms. You can own a 3DS and use it fully without giving any personal information out to people. That's why Friend Codes were made after all.

and heres a post of someone who is actually using logic.

Sony leaked millions of credit card data to the internet.
Nintendo just learned what a credit card is and how to use it online.

I wouldn´t trust either if it comes to personal data, thats why i buy eshop cards. As long as Microsoft insists on having a camera with laserscanning and an always on mic in my living room i won´t buy an xbox. it´s that simple.

p3tran

Banned
no reason to trust any of these companies, except lack of intelligence.-

p.s.
As long as Microsoft insists on having a camera with laserscanning and an always on mic in my living room i won´t buy an xbox. it´s that simple
well, they hit the wall a couple of dozen times then realized that this wouldnt fly.
so, you still get the kinect with the console, but its up to you to connect it to the console or not.

SmokyDave

I figure I probably lost all privacy years ago. I carry a device everywhere with built in GPS for fucks sake.

If your government want to know, they'll know. They'd be scraping the bottom of the barrel if they needed to use games consoles.

p3tran

Banned
I figure I probably lost all privacy years ago. I carry a device everywhere with built in GPS for fucks sake.

If your government want to know, they'll know. They'd be scraping the bottom of the barrel if they needed to use games consoles.
there are many-many levels of privacy, and your gps data is only one of them.
and fortunately, we are not yet at the level of "all privacy lost". hopefully never will.
and its not only governments. practically almost every fucking business that has money is interested in making more through the use of our data.

Neo C.

Nintendo doesn't collect the same amount of data like other companies, it's the safest tech company by default.

wsippel

Banned
Edit: Thread asked for a reason, I provided a reason. You not liking it =/= fanboy. Also added Sony so it's balanced.
Except the reason you've given makes no sense. For example:

SIRAS provides cloud and web-based enterprise solutions and best-in-class data intelligence services to track, authenticate, and safeguard products, while promoting ethical business practices between our customers and partners, and upholding consumer anonymity.
http://www.siras.com/index.jsp

Now, what does Siras have to do with anything?

SIRAS is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Nintendo of America Inc.
Oh.

So that's their business intelligence division. Now, what about Miiverse? You know who designed and developed it? Here you go:

Hatena Co., Ltd. (株式会社はてな Kabushiki-gaisha hatena?) is an internet services company in Japan. It operates various services including the most popular social bookmarking service in Japan,[1] Hatena Bookmark. Hatena is the collective name of the company's services. On July 19, 2001, it was founded by Junya Kondo in Kyoto.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hatena_(company)

Nintendo knows their internets. They simply decided to do things differently. Some people might not like the way they handle this stuff, some people might not understand it, but it has fuck all to do with incompetence.

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
I think the NSA can't force shit onto SONY and Nintendo, because they aren't an american company.

I believe any company that wants to do business in the US is subject to federal mandates.... not just Microsoft (and other American companies).

This is why I generally don't "fear" Nintendo. Surprisingly, even though I hate the fact the eShop doesn't have account system, at the same time. I'm "generally" safe from having my information stolen. Not only that but Nintendo doesn't store anywhere near as much information about the users details and what type of information they have.
* No I don't work for Nintendo, but Nintendo don't need e-mail address and card details to download applications like Netflix or even their games unlike Sony and Microsoft.

Oersted

I believe any company that wants to do business in the US is subject to federal mandates.... not just Microsoft (and other American companies).

Same here. But since there is obviously confusion about this, it would have been nice if some journalists have gone after this.

wsippel

Banned
Sony would benefit from that data, for Nintendo it has little use.
Of course it's useful to Nintendo, which is why they do track tons of data. That's the whole point of Club Nintendo for example, and every Nintendo system sends comprehensive usage statistics to Nintendo. What Nintendo doesn't store is your credit card number (so hackers can't steal them), and they don't require detailed personal information.

Of course it's useful to Nintendo, which is why they do track tons of data. That's the whole point of Club Nintendo for example, and every Nintendo system sends comprehensive usage statistics to Nintendo. What Nintendo doesn't store is your credit card number (so hackers can't steal them), and they don't require detailed personal information.

That's usage statistic about gaming habits, but data about my emails, movies, music and consumer electronics would be a lot more interesting to Sony as a company, than Nintendo, who just does games.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Someone should make a game about this (and NSA should look at your decision and behaviour in the game to schedule your profile)

LOL

Coxy

any reason to trust them? no, you shouldnt trust companies
any specific reasons to distrust them? not yet, that's about the best you can hope for really

Shengar

I don't trust them because I have to keep sceptic on this matter. Government could do anything to get the information from companies (with little to no political power of course!) for their use. Also it is not like you hurt them being sceptic on this matter. But not as much as I distrust MS since that Snowden's leak and their deal with NSA.

zsidane

Journalists aren't pointing fingers at Sony and Nintendo because they are Japanese. All the names that got called on "collaborating" with NSA and British services are either US companies or British (I believe I read somewhere Vodafone jumped in too).

I personally "trust" them compared to Microsoft (Nintendo being the highest rated). But at the end of the day, i don't trust anybody because I know that they always have some shitty rule in their EULA...

Also, the US and UK are directly "hacking" data from under-sea fiber cables so...

tokkun

Journalists aren't pointing fingers at Sony and Nintendo because they are Japanese. All the names that got called on "collaborating" with NSA and British services are either US companies or British (I believe I read somewhere Vodafone jumped in too).

I think it really has less to do with that and more to do with the fact that Nintendo and Sony are not high-value targets for the NSA. Because what terrorist is coordinating over PSN?

Also, the US and UK are directly "hacking" data from under-sea fiber cables so...

Yes, and my faith in Sony and Nintendo to be doing end-to-end encryption between their data centers is about zero.

Top Bottom