• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you ask your partner about STDs before having sex or just use a condom and go?

This. Would you seriously forgo using a condom just because someone says they are clean? They may have no idea, or be lying. Shit, we have another thread on GAF right now where some folks are defending knowingly having sexual relations with someone else without disclosing they have HIV.

Protect yourself.

This. Would you seriously forgo using a condom just because someone says they are clean? They may have no idea, or be lying. Shit, we have another thread on GAF right now where some folks are defending knowingly having sexual relations with someone else without disclosing they have HIV.

Protect yourself.

If you're that concerned, why don't you wait until you see their paperwork or get tested together?

royalan

I'm a grown ass adult with the maturity to make my own fucking decisions.

I don't place much stock in "asking" because people can easily lie.

So I don't enter into sexual situations that I'm not prepared to deal with the consequences of, because my sexual health is my own responsibility and nobody fucking else's.

This means I use condoms, and make no excuses for it.

If this isn't enough for me, then I don't have sex. It's really that simple. The option to not fuck is always on the table.

ok real talk, i feel really uncomfortable sometimes about not using condoms, both because of STD and pregnancy issues, but they literally make my dick basically numb

e: fwiw I'm in a monogamous relationship (~4 months), so not super worried about STD at this point, but pregnancy for sure

how can i overcome this??

Bakercat

My fiancé and me were both virgins and only have been with each other. I don't worry about STD's at all. If one of us were to have a problem we would tell the other and have it checked though.

When I was single I got checked every 6 months. My brother is HIV positive so I don't fuck around when it comes to testing, asking and being open and honest.

Before I started having sex with my, now, wife we both went and got tested then had ice cream after. When we got the results back we had a nice dinner and got down. She will, hopefully, be my last sexual partner.

If you're that concerned, why don't you wait until you see their paperwork or get tested together?
Why do that when a condom should suffice?

Though that's a great idea if you and your partner plan to have unprotected sex, which is, admittedly, the best kind (especially for the long haul).

nel e nel

Why do that when a condom should suffice?

Though that's a great idea if you and your partner plan to have unprotected sex, which is, admittedly, the best kind (especially for the long haul).

Pretty much this. If you're young and single and just having fun, requiring paperwork kind of kills the vibe. Always use a condom, and when you do get into a committed relationship, get tested before going bareback.

TwoDurans

"Never said I wasn't a hypocrite."
High school sex Ed taught us to always do the deed with the lights on the first time. There are visual cues for a lot of the things you want to avoid out there.

Also, don't be a fool, bag your tool.

Since most people in here think asking is a good thing, here's something on the flip side going on in this thread where a user is arguing some HIV positive people shouldn't disclose their status to others.

sjboi

I rarely ask AND I hate condoms, but I love fucking. Gay guy here fwiw. I’ve had a few close calls, but have been extremely fortunate to avoid all STDs. prEp has been a life-saver for me in 2017, especially for my own peace of mind!

Crazyorloco

We get these freaking threads the day I might have a girl over. Lol. It’s a sign, I’m asking her tonight...

The older I get the more nervous I get about these things. When I was younger I wouldn’t ask, it felt weird and I was worried that the person somehow wouldn’t be interested in me. I always ask now. And I get tested before each partner.

I’m perfectly fine with masturbating if it means I won’t have an STD. It’s hard for me to trust. People lie often. My last ex taught me that. :-/ Be cautious.

Kyzer

Banned
I ask and I'm proud and honestly impressed that other gaffers do the same

"Hey, kind of a weird topic but I just want to make sure, have you been tested and are you clean or...?"

Some awkward variation of the above but usually the other party totally appreciates where I'm coming from

IISANDERII

That's why I also asked how often people get checked out with new partners?

Also, condoms don't really prevent everything. They only cover the shaft of the penis, the other exposed skin could pass diseases.

The best way to avoid stds really is not having sex at all
the condoms I use also cover the tip of the penis.

trixx

Yeah for sure but you never know people lie

Condom doesn't protect you from most Sti's or was I taught somethibg wrong in health class

Pretty much this. If you're young and single and just having fun, requiring paperwork kind of kills the vibe. Always use a condom, and when you do get into a committed relationship, get tested before going bareback.

"Kills the vibe" is such a stupid thing to think, your safety should be above anything else.

Kebiinu

Banned
If they're just a one time fuck, I wrap it up. Long term flings get the clinic ring. My health is my responsibility.

No, I don't ask, nor do I use condoms.

To be fair though, I've been married for 6 years, I had a vasectomy, and wife got an IUD implant. I think my wife would kick my ass though if I DID ask at this point in the game.

pixelation

Ask AND use a condom (except for oral)

Eventhough the possibilities are miniscule, you can also het HIV through oral sex (depending on the oral higiene (bloody gums) of the person giving the oral sex, or small cuts or sores on your penis).

I would expect her to bring it up if she had something, asking just seems awkward. Condoms until I know she's on birth control and cool with doing it without.

ok real talk, i feel really uncomfortable sometimes about not using condoms, both because of STD and pregnancy issues, but they literally make my dick basically numb

e: fwiw I'm in a monogamous relationship (~4 months), so not super worried about STD at this point, but pregnancy for sure

Well you can either enjoy the fact you'll be a father soon or be a selfish prick and force your girlfriend to go through an abortion cause a condom is slightly less good

Well you can either enjoy the fact you'll be a father soon or be a selfish prick and force your girlfriend to go through an abortion cause a condom is slightly less good

Or do some kegals and not nut inside her.

I would expect her to bring it up if she had something, asking just seems awkward. Condoms until I know she's on birth control and cool with doing it without.

How do you or she know that you don't have anything?

The Lamp

You circumcised? I only ever hear this lack of sensitivity stuff from circumcised men or men using condoms too small for their dicks

mike6467

It should be noted (since I didn't know and most people I've talked to didn't either), that asking for the standard STD panel does not usually include herpes testing. I found this out recently when I had a scare (all was good) and was told because of the way the testing is confused by the virus existing anywhere in the body, they usually don't include it.

How do you or she know that you don't have anything?

There's never been anything wrong with my dick so I guess I trust that :). That's the only thing I can tell her if she asks. I've never met anyone that insist on us getting tested before sex, but if it was important for her I would of course get myself checked.

Soodanim

Gold Member
No idea if I have any. Me and my gf don't use condoms (which is irresponsible, but they make me numb :/), but she is my first partner. Dunno her status either but I know she's slept with others before me. Haven't had any issues though so I assume she's clean. Should probably both be checked sooner rather than later though.
I'm under the impression that you're just wearing the wrong size, look into that if you ever need to get condoms again. Dumbness suggests that it's too tight. If it's possible to have allergic reactions that have the effect of numbness I've not heard of it.

Joking about abuse of power nice.
You sound like a really fun person xoxo

There's never been anything wrong with my dick so I guess I trust that :). That's the only thing I can tell her if she asks. I've never met anyone that insist on us getting tested before sex, but if it was important for her I would of course get myself checked.

That's more than a bit naive but that's why I'm asking these questions

Fyi, lack of visible symptoms don't mean much, especially if you think they're going to show exclusively on your dick

It's why you're supposed to get tested regularly but whatever "works" for y'all

Mr.Pig

Wear a condom that fits your penis in width and length so that you don't cut off the blood flow.
Mine's regular sized but I can't wear the average condom comfortably.

Solo

My GF and I used condoms for the first few times, then we both got tested. Results were negative,and after that, 3 years of rawdogging.

Top Bottom