• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you currently have a “Guilty Pleasure” game?

redfox088

Banned
I have to admit; Since discovering the social gaming community only a few years ago my taste and perception towards games have changed vastly. Before Gaf I would often find myself playing and enjoying games I would now consider shallow and weakly designed. It has greatly affected how I digest and engage with every game I play, and I usually find myself nitpicking things I would have glossed over just a few years ago. However I still play and buy games prevalently. I probably but 2-3 games a month. I finish most of them as well.

But I did loose something in my ascension to gaming elitism. I used to be that guy who would poor hundreds of hours into games that were critically panned, and honestly I think that was when gaming was the most fun for me. I poured countless hours into Anime licensed fighters. Complete every single tales of game since symphonia. Invested thousands of hours into Halo 4, Robot alchemic Drive, and z-tier platformers.

I knew these games were terrible, shit, sometimes I would spend my entire play through laughing and cutting on these games. That’s gone now. Gaf has made me boujee. So my question to you good folks is, do you currently play and truly enjoy a game you know is complete shit? We all played shitty games as kids I’m more so interested in recently acquired software.

A.Romero

I feel a lot of the games I play and enjoy could be considered guilty pleasures if I try to get critical.

The first one that comes to my mind is the yakuza series. I enjoy those games immensely, I'm eagerly awaiting for my kiwami 2 pre-order is shipped but if I'm objective I'd say the game play is a bit repetitive and the graphics are nothing special at all. For example, yakuza 0 has some cutscenes that are not fully animated. It's jarring to me. But still, I just have a good time and despite it's many flaws I'll continue supporting the series.

haxan7

Volunteered as Tribute
I got 100% of the trophies and maxed out everything on AdVenture Capitalist. I thought this was a pretty mediocre game until I saw its 9/10 rating on steam.

Well, maybe not ...

AdVenture Capitalist received mostly negative or mixed reviews from critics. Pocket Gamer criticized the game for giving little reward for progress, and stated that the achievements were dull.[3] The review also found the in-app purchases to be too expensive, calling the game "a pointless waste of time" and "not much of an adventure." A review from 148Apps had similar opinions, calling the game "upbeat" but "a waste of time."[4]

Last edited:

KevinKeene

Banned
Basically me playing Gears of War and Halo right now. They're cinematic linear shooters and totally not what I usually play (complex, immersive open world rpgs and action-adventures), but I really enjoy binging them right now and every once in a while. I'd even play a CoD campaign, if only even 5 year old CoD games are still too expensive ;/

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Gun*Gal and Senran Kagura are my guilty pleasure games. They are dumb, they are perverted, but they are surprisingly fun to play.

Mahadev

7 days to die, it's survival game that I have been playing for years because every new alpha version is so fundamentally different than the previous one that I start playing it all over again. I probably have wasted hundreds of hours in that game.

haxan7

Volunteered as Tribute
7 days to die, it's survival game that I have been playing for years because every new alpha version is so fundamentally different than the previous one that I start playing it all over again. I probably have wasted hundreds of hours in that game.
Oh I put a good 20 hours in this one. Truly terrible game.

Mahadev

Oh I put a good 20 hours in this one. Truly terrible game.

It depends on what version you played. There were versions that were buggy nightmares, other ones that were pretty optimized and fun, other ones that had unique gameplay mechanics that are now defunct. I've never seen a game like this, I swear it's like a new addition to the "franchise" in every new version and they still haven't finished the first game.

Last edited:

xwez

Banned
I haven't played state of decay 2, put the I really liked the first one. Just driving around, looting houses, and going back to home base was way more satisfying than I thought it would be (I realize it should have been repetitive, but I didn't ever really feel that at any point). Same for Dead Rising. I think it's just mowing down tons of zombies, with a very loose overarching story is gratifying for some reason.

haxan7

Volunteered as Tribute
It depends on what version you played. There were versions that were buggy nightmares, other ones that were pretty optimized and very fun, other ones that had unique gameplay mechanics that are now defunct. I've never seen a game like this, I swear it's like a new addition to the "franchise" in every new version and they still haven't finished the first game.
I played on PS4 about 2 years ago and I remember it feeling glitchy and like all the structures and environments were just repeats of the same 2 or 3 designs

Mahadev

I played on PS4 about 2 years ago and I remember it feeling glitchy and like all the structures and environments were just repeats of the same 2 or 3 designs

Damn dude, don't ever play survival games on consoles they're all barebones buggy crap and FAR worse than PC versions (with the exception of No man's Sky where Sony helped I think). I'm actually surprised you spend 20 hours on that abomination.

Last edited:

Bluecondor

Two years ago I played the game "Toy Soliders: War Chest" for at least 20-30 hours:

Awful game, but I did enjoy it at the time.....

Redshirt

Banned
I have to admit; Since discovering the social gaming community only a few years ago my taste and perception towards games have changed vastly. Before Gaf I would often find myself playing and enjoying games I would now consider shallow and weakly designed. It has greatly affected how I digest and engage with every game I play, and I usually find myself nitpicking things I would have glossed over just a few years ago. However I still play and buy games prevalently. I probably but 2-3 games a month. I finish most of them as well.

But I did loose something in my ascension to gaming elitism. I used to be that guy who would poor hundreds of hours into games that were critically panned, and honestly I think that was when gaming was the most fun for me. I poured countless hours into Anime licensed fighters. Complete every single tales of game since symphonia. Invested thousands of hours into Halo 4, Robot alchemic Drive, and z-tier platformers.

I knew these games were terrible, shit, sometimes I would spend my entire play through laughing and cutting on these games. That’s gone now. Gaf has made me boujee. So my question to you good folks is, do you currently play and truly enjoy a game you know is complete shit? We all played shitty games as kids I’m more so interested in recently acquired software.

Find this a bit sad tbh. I don't know if I'd describe too many games as a "guilty pleasure" the way I would movies or some books.

Maybe the LEGO games? I mean they're really simplistic and I purport to play them for the kids, but deep down I really dig them, and they entertain me way more than they should.

Last edited:
I really dont ever feel guilty about the things I like. I guess guilty pleasures are supposed to be things you know are bad but enjoy anyway? But if I enjoy it, it's good to me ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I haven't played any game I should feel guilty about. I like what I like, why should I feel guilty about it?

brian0057

Banned
This bastard right here...

d56.jpg

This game is a piece of shit and I love every minute of it.

Catphish

I still find myself going back to CoD:WWII, even though I don't really like it anymore. The self-talk is like, "maybe this time will be fun like that one time it was fun several months ago."

But it never is. 😔

I like Dead or Alive Xtreme, Xtreme 2 and Rumble Roses.

In general I like games that feature women with big bouncing breasts, so sue me.

T996CfP.png
I wasted countless hours in the mini golf

That was in fact the first Playstation game I ever played.

It was simplistic but it recreated episodes from the show and actually was a good game to introduce me to 3D gaming as the simple nature of the game was good training for playing harder 3D games later.

Doom... RIP AND TEARRRRR

EDIT:
Oh wait, I read the thread wrong. You guys mean games that are considered bad yet you play it? Oh, um... man that's a great question. I'll get back to you shortly.

EDIT 2:
Destiny. Almost 3000 hours on part 1, almost 200 hours on part 2 before i called it quits. I got addicted to it, but managed to break off it after 3 years

Last edited:

Codes 208

Fortnite for me. Me and my friends have spent over $40 each on passes and cosmetics since the start of season 3.

Its one of those games i hate because everyone i know only talks about and many youtubers i watch like vanoss and h20delirious play almost nothing but fortnite now. But damn if winning wasnt satisfying. Its the kind of game i keep trying just to get a little better at each time (kind of like dark souls)

Last edited:

HeresJohnny

Tenchu. I fucking love the series, and Tenchu Z would’ve been a system seller for me if I didn’t already own a 360 when it hit.

The Forza Horizon games are my "guilty pleasure games" ; they allow for an easily customizable arcade racing experience that's perpetually fun for 30+ hours for each entry in the series. They're fantastic "filler" games for whenever I'm are tired and in between heavy narrative driven titles and just want to play something for 5 - 60 minutes after work and feel satisfied that I've accomplished something before I go to bed. The amazing graphics on the X and epic soundtracks always leave me with a good vibe after I've finished playing as well.

If you add craft beer, quality snacks and a good meaty meal into the mix, they go from a 9 out of 10 game to an easy 12 out of 10 game. Happy times. The Forza Horizon series: Highly recommended, especially when mixed with alcohol. (y);)

Last edited:

Arkos

Nose how to spell and rede to
BLOPS 3. Got it for free on PS+. I enjoy / hate the general COD gameplay, so I especially enjoy / hate the gameplay in this one. But it’s really easy to play because I don’t have to put a disc in for it.

I really just with Tf2 had some new maps :(

undead77

Gotta admit, just reinstalled Morrowind, and just been running around messing around with the console commands and all the crazy stuff you can do with those.

Secret "hidden gems" thread.

Oceanhorn. I've had it in some humble bundle and recently decided to give it a go. Although it would be utterly exaggerated and deeply unfair to call it "complete shit", everything about that game screams Zelda rip-off, except that both puzzles and combat are simplistic.

And yet I can't stop playing it because it's so cute and its OST is so relaxing... And it actually has some LBA vibes that make me nostalgic.

I am fairly certain I played Rumble Roses for far too damn long.

On mobile, I think I played Bar Oasis to an unhealthy degree. It used the tilting mechanic of smartphones well, but the story is low-level and some of the dialogue is cringe-worthy. However, it did introduce me to the world of cocktails.

Sadly, I can't seem to find it on the Google Play Store.

ChrisDude

The Godzilla PS 4 game. People always say the game is too slow and therefore boring...As a godzilla fan all I can say is good! The monsters in the movies move slow too and thats the way I want them. I enjoy this game a lot thanks to its look, monsters, sound design and music taken straight from the movies.

Cato

Banned
Still playing dark souls 3. I like to jump in and do co-op and help randoms with bosses.

Sometimes a random is just useless so I PM them and tell to summon me again, start the boss fight and then just run over and stand in the corner.
Sometimes a random is good, that makes it fun to fight Gael for example.

(bosses in ds3 get significantly stronger for each co-op player that is summoned so the fight is often actually HARDER if you bring in co-op help than if you play solo.)

Top Bottom