• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you dumpster dive your local game store?

How has nobody avatar quoted the OP yet?
2ibztc3.gif

Ceebs

Back when I worked at a Gamestop for a bit we had a box of defective stuff that was to be destroyed and trashed. Since the DM was pretty lazy, he just tossed the whole box as is. In the box were usually several PC games that were returned as defective so a savvy dumpster diver could walk away with multiple CD-Keys for PC games if they found that box.

Spruchy

Holy shit I watched the first two minutes of the last video linked in OP, one of the most pathetic things I have ever seen.

NewFresh

A used book store in my area puts mountains of books next to its recycling bin. If I park near it then i glance over. Found 2 good books, those are the extents of my dumpster diving.

Ceebs said:
Back when I worked at a Gamestop for a bit we had a box of defective stuff that was to be destroyed and trashed. Since the DM was pretty lazy, he just tossed the whole box as is. In the box were usually several PC games that were returned as defective so a savvy dumpster diver could walk away with multiple CD-Keys for PC games if they found that box.

Dungeon Master?

I dunno. Dumpsters kind of weird me out, and I don't think the one at the gamestop near my house is really accessible. But stopping in when they're taking stuff down to throw it out is cool by me. My friend did that and picked up a whole bunch of posters for his apartment.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
I don't but mall and retail media stores would be the best bet.

Low on tampons, diapers, rotten food and high on merchandise they are required to throw away.

If you're very lucky I assume you could reach in and get something sitting on top.

Einbroch said:
Go to a private college and dumpster dive the apartments/dorms during move out.

Gold, man.

Shit, you don't even have to dive, really. People just leave couches and stuff out on the curb. It's insane.

D

Deleted member 74300

Unconfirmed Member
I guess this really isn't the same thing and isn't much to brag about, but I did ask this dude working at Gamestop for some old Sega Genesis game boxes of games I owned that they were throwing away. Even had instructions and posters inside of them.

Night_Trekker said:
Shit, you don't even have to dive, really. People just leave couches and stuff out on the curb. It's insane.

No kidding, especially in kinda rich neighborhoods. Got a decent old TV for my older systems and a bad ass Knight statue.

Dreavus

I watched most of the third video and... what the hell. He takes manager logbooks for their art? And deactivated DLC cards? The only thing that could possibly be considered worthwhile are the strategy guides, but they are for a game he's "not that into". There is a reason this stuff is in the garbage man.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
The best part was the guy with the game planners. There's basically zero information in there that would be of use to anybody but the employees working at the stores. It's purely for record keeping mundane shit like what employees buy with their discounts, what inventory counts you have to do on what days, or whether somebody got their pockets checked before they left the store. But he was acting like reading those things would give you business secrets or something, lol.

When the fallout three collectors guides were selling for forty or fifty bucks online I was buying the discounted guides at blockbuster and selling them. I went back to clean out a store and they had fine back to full price. I asked the clerk what happens to the guides if nobody buys them and he said they actually have to rip off the front and back covers to "prove" to corporate that they disposed of them, and then just throw away the rest.

What a waste.

G-Fex

It still is the first page junior

This thred reminds me when I threw out barely expired baked goods I heaard one of my co worker buddywould go grab them from the trash after I left

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Hard garbage/dumpster diving can net some pretty great shit. Obviously nobody wants to dig through gross garbage, which is why you dont, you know, dig through gross fucking garbage. If you're looking in the right places its not like the bins are full of food and junk, it's almost always stationary, papers, and work material.

Hard garbage is my preference. In richer suburbs people will throw out amazingly high quality furniture, appliances, and bits and pieces simply because they've upgraded to something flashier or are moving. I've had friends score couches, professional music keyboards, and hospital grade oscilloscopes because others no longer wanted them. Hell, just last week my housemate threw out her television. It was a CTR, so nobody wanted it, but it was huge and in completely mint condition.

Ledsen said:
Holy fuck, that's disgusting. People actually do this shit? :/

I dont know if they have it wherever you live, but every month or two in Australia there is a designated 'hard garbage' day, where people leave larger goods out on the front curb for the garbos to pick up then next morning.

No digging, no search, no anything. The sidewalks are littered with goods people are getting rid of, often near mint condition crap they just dont have room for or no longer need.

hurahn

Neo Member
Dumpster diving for hard garbage is acceptable because yes, people throw out some good furniture and other things they're too lazy to dispose of properly. Dumpster diving gamestop is just pitiful. I would hope someone would use their time doing something more constructive but if it makes people happy have at it.

Wiseblade

I thought this thread was going to be about raiding the bargain bin, which I do regularly. But rummaging through actual rubbish? Helllll no.

Slayven said:
Dumpster diving is bush league. The cool cats do eviction diving, man when the marshals put people's shit on the front lawn. People go apeshit over it.

Oh shit.

I'd watch that shit on utube all day.

ruxtpin

Banned
Must resist avatar quote. Reading this thread reminded me of that episode where Charlie and Frank start hoarding useless shit.

XD

Sword Familiar

178% of NeoGAF posters don't understand statistics
Lol, poor ppl.

Seriously though, what could one ever hope to find in there anyway? I think you'll have better luck finding a mispriced game and sell it at a higher price than finding anything worthwhile in a dumpster. I guess it's kind of like buying a lottery ticket or something. Cheap thrills and all that.

Sword Familiar said:
Lol, poor ppl.

Seriously though, what could one ever hope to find in there anyway? I think you'll have better luck finding a mispriced game and sell it at a higher price than finding anything worthwhile in a dumpster. I guess it's kind of like buying a lottery ticket or something. Cheap thrills and all that.

I remember buying FIFA WC South Africa 2010 for $20 because it was marked improperly. I was probably the single greatest moment of my life and a story that will henceforth be passed down my family for generations.

Sword Familiar

178% of NeoGAF posters don't understand statistics
Scott Chillgrim said:
I remember buying FIFA WC South Africa 2010 for $20 because it was marked improperly. I was probably the single greatest moment of my life and a story that will henceforth be passed down my family for generations.

Cheers for missing the point, sport.

G-Fex said:
It still is the first page junior

This thred reminds me when I threw out barely expired baked goods I heaard one of my co worker buddywould go grab them from the trash after I left

Where's the junior? Ohhhhhh I get it, you're right. You're totally cooler than me because your reg date is four years older than mine. *rolls eyes*

AwRy108

B.K. said:
What do they do with all the old magazines and strategy guides that don't sell? Do they throw them away or send them off to be recycled?

Their inventory systems used to randomly put old ones on "secret sale" for a penny. Some douche-bag managers would require they be thrown out, some would just let employees have them.

Not sure what they do with them these days.

Showmeyamoves said:
I guess this really isn't the same thing and isn't much to brag about, but I did ask this dude working at Gamestop for some old Sega Genesis game boxes of games I owned that they were throwing away. Even had instructions and posters inside of them.

No kidding, especially in kinda rich neighborhoods. Got a decent old TV for my older systems and a bad ass Knight statue.

I did this when graduating. I had a bunch of shit I just couldn't fit and put on the curb.

... this is dire. I mean, most stores don't throw out anything good. Guides are really the only thing you'll ever be able to find, but really, is it worth the price of your dignity not to go on IGN guides or something?

DigitalDevil said:
Where's the junior? Ohhhhhh I get it, you're right. You're totally cooler than me because your reg date is four years older than mine. *rolls eyes*

he's implying you're a junior because you haven't yet set your page settings to 100 posts per page, like everyone else.

thus, for most of us it still IS the first page, and your post was nonsensical

Not game related, but our trash room also has some space for stuff like furniture. I found some perfectly good cabinets and shelves there that just needed a quick wipe. If I would go out and buy these things new it would cost loads of money, and for stuff that I'm not actually using in my livingroom I don't mind if it's not brand new.

I wouldn't take anything with fabric on it though. You never know what it has been through and it would probably take on the smell pretty quickly.

Kind of makes me sad seeing GameStop throw away all the booklets and cover sleeves. I like those things...

But I am no stranger to dumpster diving. When I was a kid living in apartment homes, I found a money all the time inside the community car vacuum waste bin. One time I found a carpet cleaner in a dumpster that my mother used for years after I brought it home, until it finally broke. People threw away some really nice things.

Then I worked at a thrift store.

You wouldn't believe how many times I've gone out back, and found all the trash I threw in dumpster the day before skewed all over the ground.

Honestly, I don't mind dumpster diving. But when I have to clean up your mess after you do it, I get fucking pissed off.

todahawk

Wario64 said:
Cause this isn't illegal...

Next you're gonna tell me I can save up money for video games by donating plasma.

There's a hell of a lot more money to be made donating sperm (if you pass the screenings)

gblues

Banned
Wario64 said:
Cause this isn't illegal...

Next you're gonna tell me I can save up money for video games by donating plasma.

Actually, in many cases dumpster diving _is_ illegal. Once stuff enters the dumpster, it becomes the property of the dumpster company. I am not even joking.

It's different if you're going through an actual garbage can, or picking up trash from someone's curb like others have mentioned. But going into an actual dumpster is technically illegal.

Pride

Things I learned from the linked videos (and similar YouTube videos)...

1. GameStop needs to improve their recycling efforts.
2. People will take anything that is free - outterwraps, game inserts, strategy guides for games you know nothing about

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Pride said:
Things I learned from the linked videos (and similar YouTube videos)...

1. GameStop needs to improve their recycling efforts.
2. People will take anything that is free - outterwraps, game inserts, strategy guides for games you know nothing about
Inserts, Manuals and Cases actually go for quite a penny on ebay - mostly because the people bought the games used from gamestop in the first place. The guides are also worth something on ebay.

Sure, the Sports games stuff is worthless, but original DVD cases and inserts/manuals are a good find.

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
I got some posters from "dumpster diving". Mario Sunshine, GBA SP, Tony Hawks 4 and a sweet Theme Park World standee. Haven't look since then, though. Realised it was pretty fucking gross.

Top Bottom