• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you feel Nintendo is missing an opportunity to sell alternative Joy-Cons?

Pejo

I can't believe they haven't created swappable joy-cons that do different things. Like a joy-con left controller with a dedicated high quality dpad, or a right joy-con with a 6 face button layout for fighters, or improved triggers for shooters, analog triggers for driving games, etc. Maybe even make a left joycon that has a stick and 2-3 buttons on it to emulate old arcade gaming in your hand while holding the system sideways, or even 2 buttons on the side so you could do vertical virtual pinball.

You could also feasibly make a fat joycon that also had a separate internal battery that could plug in to charge the system while out and about. Though, that's getting a little silly. The point is that the detachable controllers leave a lot of room for creativity and utility that just isn't being used or recognized.

I'm also surprised that Miyamoto hasn't pushed this for a new way to play a new gimick game using some weird gimmick controller, considering he loved the idea of Wii Music.

I guess you could argue that the cost of researching, building, and manufacturing wouldn't leave enough of a profit for them to bother, but it seems like a very "Nintendo" thing to do regardless.

Would you guys buy any of the stuff listed above, if given the opportunity?

JP

I think the only thing I'd be interested in would be an option with a d-pad. I know there are do it yourself options but I would prefer a proper one from Nintendo.

Breakage

I wouldn't be surprised if they start exploring it in future. Joy Cons for specific game series could be popular.

magnumpy

I dunno, what you propose sounds like splitting the install base. while nintendo has made different variants of the joycons they're all basically limited to different colors. that seems like a good strategy, with anything further basically limited to independent third parties.

kunonabi

The lack of a dpad is one of the main reasons i wont buy a switch yet. Id also pay a premium to get joycons with speakers, circle pads, and built in straps to be quite honest.

Colors don't really mean much me to since the black brick that is the switch unit never goes well with them anyway.

NoKisum

Can't wait to see the angry and confused parents pissed off about the flood of various joy con configurations.

trugs

Neo Member
It's only been out 9 months. I'm sure they just wanted to focus on clear marketing with a single product. Releasing too many variations could potentially confuse consumers.

I wouldn't be surprised if we see variations next year.

It's not a question of if but when IMO. The Switch is perfectly designed for that kind of extension. Perhaps they are holding off until the first revision of the Switch is released/sorted.

DonF

Don't give them any ideas please. We won't see the end of it.

My exact reaction. Games that play better with a certain controller. More expensive games that come with that controller...oh please no, just stick to different color schemes and maybe a completely optional new dpad.

I think the only thing I'd be interested in would be an option with a d-pad. I know there are do it yourself options but I would prefer a proper one from Nintendo.

You can just get a shell replacement that is already made to support a dpad that they give you with it. Works just as well and you don't have to wait for something that may never come from Nintendo.

This is mine and it works super well.
K2FdlF0l.jpg

Shifty

Hopefully we'll see some cool stuff in time. Gamecube joycons would be ridiculous but also wonderful.

I want a purple colour choice first though.

BANGS

Banned
I can't believe they haven't created swappable joy-cons that do different things. Like a joy-con left controller with a dedicated high quality dpad, or a right joy-con with a 6 face button layout for fighters, or improved triggers for shooters, analog triggers for driving games, etc

Why not just make one normal controller with those features that doesn't suck? Who's gonna wanna buy 12 different joycons to do the job one decent controller can do?

Top Bottom