• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you feel that the HD Collections coming out "de-value" your old games?

I have been wanting to ask this question for a while...

With HD collections of classic PS2 games being released and announced left and right (God of War, Sly, ICO & Shadow of the Colossus, Metal Gear Solid, Zone of the Enders, Silent Hill, etc.), I'm starting to feel that my PS2 game collection is suddenly becoming next to worthless.

Don't get me wrong, I have always been a fan of improving older games. I'm a sucker for nostalgia and often find myself enjoying old games more than new ones, and I always cheer whenever a remake of a beloved classic is announced. And I am thankful for these HD collections. But they are a different beast from proper remakes. Here's why:

When an old game is remade (e.g. Resident Evil REmake, Super Street Fighter II HD Remix, Metroid Zero Mission, Bionic Commando Rearmed, Final Fantasy III + IV DS), the remake often differs substantially from the original to stand as a subjectively different experience. So it does not automatically, and necessarily, make the original version obsolete. Differences in art style, gameplay mechanics, difficulty, and numerous other aspects mean that the original game remains a valid, unique, and valuable version for many reasons: personal preferences, historical preservation, and sometimes can even be an objectively better game than a badly produced remake. So for a fan of game X, both the original and the remake can peacefully co-exist side by side in his or her library and each offer something unique and perhaps complement each other.

Enter the "HD re-releases" that we are seeing more and more these days: These are not remakes, and none of the points raised in the paragraph above apply to them. An HD release of a previous-generation game has the exact same art, gameplay, difficulty, etc. but now it's rendered in higher resolution, runs at a smoother framerate, and has faster load times. So virtually the same game only now it's objectively better. There is no room for preferring the older version for any reason (you might prefer the packaging of the original, but packaging is not the game, and that will soon become irrelevant when everything goes DD).

So when a game is re-released in HD, it instantly makes the SD version pretty much worthless in my eyes. It's like DVD vs. Blu-ray; when I buy a movie on Blu-ray, I have no reason to keep my old DVD copy (unless the DVD has worthwhile special features that were not included in the BD, which is rare), because it's exactly the same movie, but now it is objectively and substantially better, making the DVD inferior in every way, and not worthy of my time or real estate on my shelf. Not to mention re-sale value is obliterated.

That's all I wanted to say on the subject. I'm NOT discouraging the release of these HD collections, on the contrary I welcome them. But I feel that they suddenly make the copies I already own far less valuable. And that's a bit sad.

Edit: Read this post for important clarification.

tokkun

I'm pretty sure that the PSP release of Tactics Ogre has devalued my PS1 copy, but I don't consider it a bad thing. I bought the game to play, not as an investment.

Shouldn't they make you feel the opposite ? Like when a greatest hits version of a game is released the originals value starts to steadily increase. IE: FFVI, FFVII, Castlevania SOTN, Etc...

J-Roderton

My PS2 is old and broken to shit. I love ZOE, so any chance I have to play it again (especially in HD) I'm totally on board.

Just look at your old copies as collectables or something. Old stuff is cool.

Pranay

Not really, rather im happy that these collections are comming out
Would love to play games like SotC and Silent hill 1 again in Hd and better framerate [SotC]

AngelSoldier said:
Shouldn't they make you feel the opposite ? Like when a greatest hits version of a game is released the originals value starts to steadily increase. IE: FFVI, FFVII, Castlevania SOTN, Etc...

Apples and Oranges.

Greatest Hits copy = Exact same game, only packaging is different.

HD re-release = Improved game.

daffy

Banned
The only value I put in my old games is the time I had with them. I don't really care about market value. So to me, no they don't.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
I feel a bit ripped off and insulted, honestly, in terms of Sony removing PS2 support then re-packaging and reselling the games. Even with an HD coat of paint.

Essentially, it puts the lie to all the people who sneered at backwards compatibility - "what a joke! Who cares about BC, you buy a new console to buy NEW GAMES! I trade in every game after I beat it once!"

But clearly, the PS2 library is valuable after all. Valuable enough to devote noticeable resources to updating and re-releasing all these games.

J-Roderton

How much do/will they charge for these HD remakes? Shouldn't they be somewhat cheaper than say, buying a brand new $60 game? It's still the same game we have already played after all. Unless they add any extra shit to it. I ask because I noticed the Halo CE remake is only $40 I think.

As soon as one is announced, I sell the PS2 game on eBay. £25 for ZOE2 - get!

So I view it as a cheap upgrade to get the best games ever in the best possible version.

LQX

FTH said:
The only value I put in my old games is the time I had with them. I don't really care about market value. So to me, no they don't.
Same here and I even welcome HD remakes of games I loved.

Well my old copy of SotC will become a little redundant with the HD re-release, but there is still personal value in the original box and artwork. I still can't wait to replay it (and play Ico for the first time) in a smoother and clearer format.

Cardigan

Yes, it pisses me of that Ico can be found for $20 now on eBay. Before the remake announcement it was around $50 and that's what I paid for it :(

I'm sure they must be infuriating for some people. The people that like to collect and are on the perfectionist side will no doubt be more likely to buy HD remakes to have the definitive version. Especially if in a collection.

For me, yes. Already I don't like having my PS2 hooked up since I want to keep the number of cords strung about minimal. Being able to play some games without having to hook up another console is sounding very appealing.

Cels

Jroderton said:
How much do/will they charge for these HD remakes? Shouldn't they be somewhat cheaper than say, buying a brand new $60 game? It's still the same game we have already played after all. Unless they add any extra shit to it. I ask because I noticed the Halo CE remake is only $40 I think.

The HD Remakes have all been $40 MSRP at release. See Tomb Raider, Prince of Persia, God of War, Sly Cooper, etc. The upcoming Ico/SotC, Splinter Cell, God of War Origin collections all MSRP at $40 too.

Naked Snake said:
Apples and Oranges.

Greatest Hits copy = Exact same game, only packaging is different.

HD re-release = Improved game.

Yes, however you still have THE ORIGINAL. The one (serious)collectors are going to want.

Naked Snake said:
You did not read the OP, and your post ads no value.
I did the answer is still No. These rereleases in HD are the same game but prettier, the old version is still great and the only ones that devalue the old copies are if the original had framerate issues that are now resolved imo.

Krorg

It devalues them but it goes the other way too. It gives me a chance to play games that I missed out on the first time around such as Radiant Silvergun or ZOE2.

hitmon

I kind of feel the same way. I think it "de-values" them for me. With the HD re-releases, I'm pretty sure I'd play those over the original.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
no.

That old copy has memories and experience tied to it that can NEVER be taken away. The new copy will as well. Old console games look like shit on my RPTV. Upscaled DVD's look fine. But DVD and Blu-ray are inferior to resolutions at the theater making the movie format comparison poorly thought out.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
I don't value my old games to begin with, because I just see them as discs, which I could now throw away.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I'm not personally worried about a $40-in-2012 product knocking $5 off the value of a few $15-in-2005 products.

As it relates to emotional value, I'm not attached to games like that. If someone broke into my house in the middle of the night and swapped Silent Hill 2 with another copy of Silent Hill 2, I wouldn't be able to tell and if I could tell I wouldn't care. Insofar as I have any attachment, it's to the memory of playing the game, not the particular copy.

With 2d games the remake might lose some of the distinct if primitive visual style of the earlier release, but with 3d games the rerelease strictly improves, so if I do choose to rebuy I don't lose out on anything.

bender

What time is it?
I value having my gaming collection but I don't look at any of my games and associate them with a price tag so being devalued by remakes and re-releases on digital platforms doesn't really bother me. I do get where you are coming from though. I've put off replaying Zone of Enders, Ico, and Shadow of Colossus because of the HD remake announcements. And if Rez HD is any indicator, I'll never go back to the originals. That said, I can't bring myself to getting rid of the originals. I guess I just like having stuff.

AngelSoldier said:
Yes, however you still have THE ORIGINAL. The one (serious)collectors are going to want.

That's a fair point I guess. But I'm more concerned about the value of the games to me rather than to some random collector. Which is kind of paradoxical because I used to be an avid collector, but this generation I started hating physical media, and much, much prefer digital copies of everything. I have bought far more downloadable games this generation than retail ones, and I hope to buy less and less of the latter in the future.

EvaTType01

Neo Member
black swordsman said:
Not really, rather im happy that these collections are comming out
Would love to play games like SotC and Silent hill 1 again in Hd and better framerate [SotC]

silent hill 1 is not included in the collection FYI

i was hunting for a copy of shadow of the colossus and ico a few weeks before the announcement of the HD remasters. I didn't want to get the greatest hit version lol, call me picky, but i ended up finding one, but a little scratched. never found ico, so when the announcement came i was happy! but i spent so much time looking/hunting for games, argh. felt i wasted time and gas.....

i see your topic as a problem if your a collector: i collect toys/anime stuff, sometimes i look at games from a collector perspective, and i feel stupid for thinking that. But when you see old stuff like chrono trigger sness original selling for 100+, or elemental gearbolt, or panzer dragoon saga, it makes me think: should i get the dead space 2 limited edition with plasma cutter, or the batman boomerang, or mvc3 tin case HMMMM. Then i say, dammit, what am i doing!!! I should be playing games, not collecting them.....*orders Otomedius limited edition on amazon* ARGH! I cant control myself.....

I'm not going to buy an HD remake of a game I already own, just like I'm not going to buy a Blu-Ray of a DVD I already own. I like the HD collections because they let me buy games that I never got around to getting before (see Sly Cooper, the first collection I bought). But as far as it impacting my current collection, no, I don't ever plan on selling any of my old games (I'm a hoarder) so it doesn't faze me in the slightest. I say bring on as many as they like so new gamers can experience the older, hard-to-get stuff.

(Suikoden HD Collection next, please.)

Stumpokapow said:
Insofar as I have any attachment, it's to the memory of playing the game, not the particular copy..

Bingo. I've given my games to friends, sold them on, or traded them away - if I feel particularly nostalgic about a game, I'll buy it again down the road. I like rereleases and remakes of classics because they expose (usually) great games again and hopefully get played by new folks.

I do maintain a collection of a few rare games, but if they weren't so hard to find I'd treat them the same way. I wish more copies were printed of all of them, or in some cases, I wish they came to the States, period.

Kalnos

Banned
While I would take the position that only collectors would want copies of the older games predominately, I would say that emulators would 'de-value' them more than HD collections in your case.

Grayman

The old copies still work if someone wants to play them. If you choose to replace your old copy though I do not see why you would ever go back to it, if you did the collection had a failing.

The intent should be to perfectly replace the old version. With Bionic Commando you may argue for 8 bit nostalgia but with HDR the clear intent was for Super Turbo to never be played again.

Kalnos said:
While I would take the position that only collectors would want copies of the older games predominately, I would say that emulators would 'de-value' them more than HD collections in your case.

The only way emulators de-value a game for you is if you're playing it illegally.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Yes, but because more people will be able to enjoy the games now. I don't feel any more special, thus values of the games go down.

Naked Snake said:
That's a fair point I guess. But I'm more concerned about the value of the games to me rather than to some random collector. Which is kind of paradoxical because I used to be an avid collector, but this generation I started hating physical media, and much, much prefer digital copies of everything. I have bought far more downloadable games this generation than retail ones, and I hope to buy less and less of the latter in the future.

Mhm. Interesting, I must say I'm quite the opposite. I despise digital media and much prefer having the disc, with it's case, and preferably in the best possible condition. Call me OCD'd, but PS3 games just feel so collectible. I love dem' cases. :D

Jeels

Things like God of War/MGS/etc were not worth a whole lot of money at all so it can't really devalue them literally speaking.

It sort of sucks that they waited so long to announce all this shit. I had already fished around bargain bins the first few years of this generation to flesh out my last gen collection. Stuff like the Sly Collection or Tomb Raider Trilogy would have been an instant purchase for me a few years ago, but because they waited so long they'll now end up being another end of generation bargain bin purchase. I'm not going to spend $30-$40 for bare bones uprezed ports of last gen games I just recently grabbed.

It's only going to get worse next gen as they reiterate everything in 1080p and/or 3D. That's the sort of sheisty shit that's transforming my buying habits in general. I feel the same way about movies that slowly dole out a half dozen different "definitive" releases. Fuck that shit!

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Most of my PS2 collection will probably never get HD rereleases.

So nah

bender

What time is it?
Naked Snake said:
I have bought far more downloadable games this generation than retail ones, and I hope to buy less and less of the latter in the future.

Do you worry about future compatibility of those titles? On PC it's not an issue but I'm not sure how much I trust the console manufacturers to bring our digital content forward to the next generation of hardware.

Kalnos

Banned
Naked Snake said:
The only way emulators de-value a game for you is if you're playing it illegally.

Yeah, we know that no one ever does that on the internet!

Collecting is more of a nostalgic thing for me, and that's why I enjoy it.

Eusis

I dunno, sometimes there's changes that are small (I'm sure if I look online I'd find a list for games like God of War) or even huge (Silent Hill redubbing) that give the original versions some value still, maybe even a great amount of it! Then there's the fact some of these games probably weren't intended for HD, though that shows more with PS1 games than PS2 games usually. Then again that can probably be dealt with most of the time by setting the system to 480p or something.

Yuripaw

Banned
I think this is the whole point of some re-releases. Old games don't exist for collectors to feel special because they have that "rare game", and I think it's selfish to feel that a game shouldn't get re-relased. I've had the chance to play certain "rare" games, like the wonderful Earthbound, but I'd be much happier if everyone had a chance to play and appreciate a game like Earthbound. Unfortunately Nintendo is too stupid to re-release that in some fashion, and many people still never have played it.

So someone's copy of a PS1 game isn't worth as much on ebay anymore because of a re-release. I say good! Because of stuff like that, people don't get to experience certain games, and that's a disservice to the people who worked on the games. Anyone who would say different, are you saying I shouldn't be disappointed that I'll never be able to play a game like Panzer Dragoon Saga (unless Sega gets off their ass and re-releases that game), but instead I should say at least the collectors are happy?

As far as the HD collections go, these games being re-released in HD aren't really "rare" games to speak of, so collectors shouldn't feel like anything is lost from them. These are mostly games that sold well, and still stand up solid today in terms of gameplay and presentation to warrent having an HD version. I already own copies of all the Metal Gear games, but I am excited as hell, because the quality of those games on my HDTV is so terrible that I have a hard time playing them. With these HD collections. I'll finally have the best of both worlds to play some of my favorite games, but not suffer from the lack of visual quality.

Top Bottom