• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you feel this community is thicker skinned and less uptight than other message board communities?

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I do. Maybe it's just the message boards I have frequented over the years and maybe it's just the people I have interacted with on here, but I feel the people here are thicker skinned and have much more humility than other communities.

I don't consider myself a rabble rouser in the slightest, but I've been banned from pretty much every message board I've ever been on and I've been part of online communities since the mid 90's. Most of them were sports message boards where fans couldn't handle views on teams not aligned with the consensus. Other times you make one politically incorrect joke, get "greenlit" as something or other and then every post henceforth is analyzed with a fine tooth comb because people have it in your head that you're a certain way and will take everything out of context. And of course there are boards that are overpoliced, where if someone is acting like a douche and you call them a douche and mods lose their shit.

But I think the community here now has a good mix of people who know when to not take shit seriously and take a joke, and even when things get serious most don't take themselves ultra seriously to where they get offended. Do you feel the same way? It's probably why I visit very few anymore. If I can't find a place where I can chat with people the way I chat with people in real life, then it's not worth wasting my time.

Prison Mike

Banned
We are the cockroaches who can survive through all of the self cannibalizing bullshit you talked about in your OP.

S8PxOSJ.gif

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Thick skinned? Maybe.

I think it has more to do with the fact GAF users seem more down to earth and grounded. So whether it's left, centre or a right wing view, people can argue if they want, but at the end it's usually cool headed with zero/few bans since most people don't jump off a cliff when someone doesn't have the same view.

At Resetera, you can tell by the thread title alone whether it's going to be a slew of firebomb posts getting bans or not. A thread about NFL football? Ok, no bans expected. A thread about the latest LBGT or trans issues? Get ready for ban hammer galore.

GAF = users more grounded

Resetera = users on pins a needles with their me, me, me attitude, crybaby attention whoring and hyperbolic stories where it's hard to tell if it's even true because on one hand the user's story sounds far fetched, but then again look who it's coming from. So it might be true

If Cerium really wants to describe the site more accurately, rename it: www.doctors-office-resetera.com

Pretty much, yeah.

It's a real nice change of pace to come here and see people occasionally really tear into one another in one thread, then be completely friendly and civil in another, because they don't carry that shit with then like an oppression Olympics gold medal.

Saying that though, you bunch of twats being decent, rational human beings is getting way too distracting, so if you could all start throwing hissy fits and being pissed about everything constantly so that I can concentrate more on my real life stuff, I'd appreciate it!

Nah, not really. This place has its fair share of people who are overly-sensitive. There are plenty of innocuous jokes that I could make at the expense of some prominent members which would earn me an instant perma-ban.

Let’s hear them
Let's not.

However, I will say that threads like this really reek of old GAF where people liked to get self-referential and mastubatory and join in massive circle jerks about how awesome the community was while sniffing their own farts.

The current state of Resetera should be evidence enough that old GAF was fucking shit and that this new version has the potential to head in the same direction if given enough time and such a lack of self-awareness.

Papa

Banned
Let's not.

However, I will say that threads like this really reek of old GAF where people liked to get self-referential and mastubatory and join in massive circle jerks about how awesome the community was while sniffing their own farts.

The current state of Resetera should be evidence enough that old GAF was fucking shit and that this new version has the potential to head in the same direction if given enough time and such a lack of self-awareness.

mmm yes both sides mmm yess braaaaap snifff ohhh yes it’s big brain time

images

Mista

Banned
No doubt. A couple of cunts here and there that actually makes the site look stupid but when you put them in the ignore list you’ll get the best experience ever. That’s normal though, you can’t have a fully great community. Gotta have a bit of mix for it to stay healthy

GAF’s might not b active like couple of years ago but at least there’s discussions now and grown ups actually having a decent back and forth discussions. People thought the “insane activity” of GAF meant it was the shit. No, I’ve been there all the time and it’s the activity meant nothing. Most people gets in threads making jokes and shitposting. Most of them replied after reading the thread title and not the thread itself. Fuck the old GAF

GAF now? The thing what makes me cherish this place today is how we’re more like a family here and not just strangers from different places in the world. People here are welcoming and the new people can confirm that. Nobody is here with bad intentions, they’re all here to talk and discuss about what they love with others

So if by any chance you’re a lurker that’s reading this post, join us, you can join with a free email and the community here is gold

Mistake

Back when the elections going on, things got so crazy I left here for a few years. I knew it wasn’t the same place as when I joined, and in fact it was stressing me out. I just had enough. It was also changing my views in more ways than one, which I didn’t see at the time. However, in a few ways I’m glad things happened the way they did, because it opened my eyes more to the bs in politics and some of the kinds of people I talk to. It’s good to have chill gaf back

Last edited:

llien

I think the greatest thing about GAF is that you can have your opinion, feel free to express it, and not fear being banned for it, by "the woke who know better"-s.

Direct insults, which seem to also be quite tolerated, on the other hand, suck, as it adds nothing to discussion and fends off people who would otherwise engage in heated, but still civilized manner.

Echo chambers of all kinds are boring.

Last edited:
Much better culture here...some have different views on things but everyone can discuss and respect another's opinion

Mods and staff here do a great job and this place is really starting to morph back into something really cool again.

Coolwhhip

Neophyte
You actually see more than 1 opinion on here. But when did that happen? In the past it was "far left or ban" here too.

And since we're obviously talking about resetera, that forum is just hilarious. They think they are supper accepting and forward thinking, but they hate on literally everything and everyone.

Last edited:
Top Bottom