• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you got any of them Consoles MMO’s??

Dorfdad

Gold Member
GAF is there any MMO that is a must play on console and doesn’t suffer compared to pc versions? I know we have FFOnline, and eso but. It sure either are still popular or good on consoles.

Why is the playing field so barren for a massive genre?

Dorfdad

Gold Member
Final Fantast 14, ESO and Destiny are the big ones on Console

How are they population wise? Also I hear FF is basically a movie?? And that ESO is stuck in the past? I like that ESO is free outside purchase but heard it’s average at best

Cornbread78

S2VEQFR.png

I have ESO on PS5 but it's too laggy without local server. Not sure why but it was really bad. Like several seconds of delay when a bunch of other players were around. I've played other games on overseas servers with 250 ping but for some reason this was extraordinarily bad in comparison.

Cornbread78

Seriously though, I'm a Destiny addict & love playing FFXIV as well. And sure, there's lots of cutscenes, but there is a shit-ton of stuff to do outside of the story focus and it plays great on console once you fix the UI a bit.

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Maybe try Black Desert if you're super into PVP and Grinding. Story is not worth it. Grinding is monotonous, Leveling up your gear is a gamble. And to top it off you can pay for more chances to gamble on your gear! Great right?

Other than that no...I'm actually surprised New World hasn't made it to consoles yet.

How are they population wise? Also I hear FF is basically a movie?? And that ESO is stuck in the past? I like that ESO is free outside purchase but heard it’s average at best
I play ESO on and off. FFXIV has the better story, but ESO feels the most competent to play on controller comparatively. They both have large player bases on console. ESO has loads of content(maybe the most out of any Elder Scrolls game ever) and I would suggest trying one of their free trials or free weekends to get a feel for it. It has a combat feel to it that reminds me the most of Guild Wars 1.

In terms of non-shooter gameplay feel, here’s my rating(Best to worst):

Wayfinder
Phantasy Star Online 2 New Genesis
ESO
Path of Exile
FFXIV
Black Desert
Neverwinter
—————
Everything else

Wayfinder isn’t fully out yet and the devs are reworking the game, but I played the early access beta and it was the most modern in terms of smooth and responsive gameplay feel for an MMO on console.

Last edited:

Meicyn

Gold Member
ESO has awful combat. Since it’s fundamental to an MMO, I would skip it. That goes for a lot of the existing console MMOs that are free to play.

FFXIV has better combat, but not until you’ve gotten to at least level 50. Prior to that, it’s really, really bad. That said, the boss encounter design is best described as choreography. Bosses are scripted to perform certain actions on what is essentially a timer, and you react accordingly. I got what I wanted out of the game after near a decade, but the combat design is just too predictable. I prefer reactive, dynamic encounters which FFXIV doesn’t offer and likely never will. Every boss encounter will play out exactly the same, every time, without fail, because predictability is core to the entire game’s design. Every patch, every expansion, is predictable. The combat is mid tier, IMO, better than the other options right now but I am waiting for an MMO with action combat and decent everything else to go with it.

There are a lot of MMOs in development that will be making an appearance on console over the next few months and years. Blue Protocol and Throne and Liberty will have console beta tests next year. I have low expectations but will try them out. I got to test the alpha for Throne and Liberty after the combat revamp on PS5 and it was… alright. But it was early game, so we will see.

In the interim, I just play Division 2 and Fortnite Save the World as I wait for newer PvE games.

Faust

Perpetually Tired
Staff Member
GAF is there any MMO that is a must play on console and doesn’t suffer compared to pc versions? I know we have FFOnline, and eso but. It sure either are still popular or good on consoles.

Why is the playing field so barren for a massive genre?

ESO is OK if you don't mind a far more restrictive Elder Scrolls experience with some friends.

FF14 is the gold standard for MMOs at the moment and the best console MMO on the market. It controls so well you can do the hardest content with a controller with minimal issue. It has a very strong narrative component, but there is a ton of content to do at all levels to break up story beats. Gambling, Mahjong, Triple Triad, Crafting which has its own levels and rotations, housing, apartments, island sanctuary (when you unlock it), and plenty more beyond that.

Save yourself the headache and skip Destiny.

FO76 is in a lot better place than it was at launch, but its still pretty weak.

Last edited:
ESO is OK if you don't mind a far more restrictive Elder Scrolls experience with some friends.
This reminds me, please please please OP do not expect ESO to play like Skyrim. They are simply different games.

The ESO devs know this is their biggest complaint, so for their next MMO gameplay is a high priority.

Faust

Perpetually Tired
Staff Member
This reminds me, please please please OP do not expect ESO to play like Skyrim. They are simply different games.

The ESO devs know this is their biggest complaint, so for their next MMO gameplay is a high priority.

It was certainly the biggest issue I had with the game at first. Mostly that much of my traditional Elder Scrolls-isms I enjoy in the franchise I couldn't do. Things felt a bit more restricted with what I could steal, where I could go, and how NPCs interacted. I know this is entirely by design, having a full MMORPG that plays exactly like Morrowind or Oblivion would be very painful as people continue to kill NPCs and it would break believablility.

Getting past that, I enjoyed the game a lot more, but its combat is still something that just never quite gelled with me. I think the game would have done far better if it was just a full on First Person action combat scheme instead of a psuedo-action, pseudo-Hotkey system they used (unless this has changed?)

Faust

Perpetually Tired
Staff Member
NO BUT I DO NOW!

Is there anything removed or limited from this “trial” or is it full blown open

Scroll down to the Limitations and it will list them all for you. With discord, these limitations are almost entirely negligible.

SCB3

It was certainly the biggest issue I had with the game at first. Mostly that much of my traditional Elder Scrolls-isms I enjoy in the franchise I couldn't do. Things felt a bit more restricted with what I could steal, where I could go, and how NPCs interacted. I know this is entirely by design, having a full MMORPG that plays exactly like Morrowind or Oblivion would be very painful as people continue to kill NPCs and it would break believablility.

Getting past that, I enjoyed the game a lot more, but its combat is still something that just never quite gelled with me. I think the game would have done far better if it was just a full on First Person action combat scheme instead of a psuedo-action, pseudo-Hotkey system they used (unless this has changed?)
Thats one of my biggest complaints with ESO along with the lack of guidance at the start, it may have changed but the whole MSQ was do stuff until you level 5 times, Main Quest quest, another 5 levels, Main quest quest, rinse and repeat

Granted I've not played it since that Morrowind expansion and even then it was only for a week or so

Ozzie666

FF11 and FF14 are 2 of the best console efforts I have ever experienced, Ff14 in particular works very well. It's a pitty you needed to buy multiple versions of the game if you wanted to play on PC and PS4/5.

DCUO was also a great product when it released in 2011. But they were all held back initially by the old platforms and hurt by the Sony hacks.

DeepSpace5D

I play Destiny 2 on PS5 and feel I get a very good exerience on console. Native 4k 60fps for most content, and 120hz mode in pvp.

What about Genshiu Impact? Is that considered an MMO or worth getting in now so late to the game?
Genshin is not an MMO. It is mostly single player game that has a co-op feature. Also playing with others means either they will kill everything in one blow around you, or not be helpful much.

Top Bottom