• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you guys still have landlines?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm in the process of moving since my apartment complex is gonna be converted into condos, and while I have a landline here, I realize that I don't use it very much and it's about a 40 dollar monthly drain, and seeing as how I'm a very poor student with no income, this seems expendable. The only reason I have it is because cell reception isn't the greatest (but not the worst also) at my place. I don't know how it's gonna be at where I move, but if I have decent reception, I'm strongly considering just going cell only.

That makes me kinda nervous though, for those "emergency" moments or whatever. What do you guys thing? Do you still have landlines?

Pochacco

asking dangerous questions
I have one.
But only because it's required for DSL.
I don't use it at all. I only use my mobile.

In fact, if someone calls my landline, I don't even pick it up :p

Nester

Pochacco said:
I have one.

This should be changing soon for you hopefully. I have Qwest DSL and they no longer require a phone line for DSL service. $42.99 per month for stand alone DSL with Qwest.net as the ISP.

Iceman

no landline. I can't believe they charged me so much for something I never used.

I have poor reception in my place but I make do.

Evenball

Jack Flack always escapes!
I have never owned a cellular phone.........!
caveman.jpg

marko

Yeah, still have landline. It is $23 a month for very basic, which isn't horrible. For long distance, we just use some online site where we get 3 cents a minute. Not a big cell phone user(usually at home or work), so just stick with prepaid. Overall for the family, we spend about $50 a month for 2 prepaid phones, land line, and long distance. Pretty decent.

But, I'd ditch the landline if you can't get it cheaper than $40 a month.

Nester

Outcast2004 said:
damn that's REALLY expensive for DSL. You can getcable for $44. MUCH faster than DSL.

Not around here. Comcast charges $57.95 for cable if you're not a Cable TV subscriber, which I am not.

Screw that.

Time and time again wireless devices have proven to be less reliable than devices that plug into something. Crappy phonless cords, crappy reception on cell phones.

I have very low tolerance for wireless devices given years of negative experience, and only keep a pay as you go cell phone for emergencies.

$42.99 per month for stand alone DSL with Qwest.net as the ISP.

That's still not a deal.

SBC Yahoo DSL is $19.99 for 12 months, and a standard phone line is in the ballpark of $20 a month.

When I can get a cell phone that just costs $20 a month and has service comparable to a landline, then I'll consider ditching the phone company. Until then - WIRELESS JIHAD! >:|

goodcow

Outcast2004 said:
damn that's REALLY expensive for DSL. You can getcable for $44. MUCH faster than DSL.

Verizon DSL, in NYC, $29.99 a month, 3Mb/768Kb
vs.
Roadrunner, $59.99 a month (without a cable package), random speeds

goodcow

Pochacco said:
I have one.

This is exactly my setup, only I don't even have a phone plugged into the landline.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom