• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you have a personal motto?

John Marston

GAF's very own treasure goblin
I'm just curious if any of you have a guiding principle, or a short phrase defining your purpose or "inner spirit".

Mine is "Be Here Now", inspired by actor Andy Whitfield. I saw a documentary on Netflix about his cancer ordeal and decided to get the same tattoo he had 2 weeks before starting my chemotherapy in 2018.
dAnTDL0.jpg

It keeps me grounded and I do look at it once in a while :messenger_winking:

And as a former degenerate alcoholic drunk ass bum there's another motto I keep close to my heart:

"Once is a mistake, twice is a decision".

What are your guiding principles or philosophy?

And yes funny or wiseass answers are also welcomed :messenger_smiling_with_eyes:

mopspear

For when I'm doing game development: "Is this fun? Is this annoying?"
At all other times: "Perception is a helluva drug." Basically, emotions and lack of good information greatly warp how you can perceive something, so I always remind myself that I'm not seeing something correctly.

Roxkis_ii

Treat others how you wish to be treated.
(Assuming you love yourself)

Whats done in the dark, will come to the light.

What goes around, comes around.

I like to think karma is real.

God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

I learned this during Y2k back in the day. News will give you a million things to be fearful of. Stock market crashes, crimes and shooting happening all over the place, constant world ending events on the horzion. All things outside the reach of most people, so why spending time worrying about it? All we can do is our small part in trying to make the world a better place in what ever way we can.

Edit: John Marston John Marston , thank you for blessing me with gold!

Last edited:

JBat

"Once is a mistake, twice is a decision".
I use a similar saying. "Once is an accident, twice is a coincidence, three times is a habit."
I also tend to latch onto certain phases from books.
From The Wheel of Time - "time to toss the dice". I'm the type to play it too safe most of the time. One of the reason I'm 5 to 10 years behind I'm my professional career. I get comfortable and stagnate. This reminds me to take some risks.

From the First Law books - "better to do a thing than live in fear of it." Reminds me some things are going to be uncomfortable and just plain suck but it's better to get it done and over than spend your time and energy worrying about it. Plus most things are going to get worse the longer you ignore them.

dave_d

I hate to say but mine is
"IQ wise there's a greater difference between myself and the average person than there is between the average person and someone who is literally retarded. Don't expect much from them."
I don't mean it to be arrogant, just don't get upset or surprised when they do things where you can't figure out how they don't know that it's a bad idea.

nemiroff

Gold Member
Philosphy/extracted beliefs, whatever, can be helpful if you know how to use it for more than comedy and light applications (I don't see much help in extracting a one-liner and applying it to a wallpaper background). I for one built myself a more wholistic and useful toolset. Some of the most solid and efficient tools to bring me through life have been advanced brain anatomy knowledge and mindfulness techniques.

Last edited:

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
"In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer."

And that makes me happy. For it says that no matter how hard the world pushes against me, within me, there’s something stronger – something better, pushing right back.

Camus

"Los mexicanos nacemos donde nos da la rechingada gana!"

Chavela Vargas famous Mexican singer born in Costa Rica

Top Bottom