• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you have a personal motto?

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
One that I always come back to:

1deead5224fd027785bfadfdb1d70f1514ae6cf99b37343055ca90bed7e813e0_1.jpg
Disgusting.

Who licks an Apple fritter? Weirdos.

NinjaBoiX

“I wouldn’t want to be part of any club that would be willing to have me as a member.”

I’ve embellished a Groucho Marx gag, but I subscribe to the sentiment.
Failing to prepare is preparing to fail

It's better to have and not need than to need and not have

Never pass up an opportunity to take a piss

Never stick your dick in crazy
The top two are definitely ones of mine too, I guess both can be condensed into:

“Plan for the worst, hope for the best.”

✌🏼

Last edited:

Roxkis_ii

I seen a line in a soda ad at a bus stop that stuck with me.
Be ambitious, not thirsty.
I kinda took it as do things because you want to, not because you need to.
I feel like it maps on to so many things in life.

Its better to approach people from a perceptive of interest,

(Attractive, similar interest, good vibes)
then to approach approach from a place of need.
(I'm so lonely, or I really need something)

I think that's why I prefer to be a more independent person. If i can take care of myself, I have no need to be thirsty.

AJUMP23

I seen a line in a soda ad at a bus stop that stuck with me.
Be ambitious, not thirsty.
I kinda took it as do things because you want to, not because you need to.
I feel like it maps on to so many things in life.

Its better to approach people from a perceptive of interest,
(Attractive, similar interest, good vibes)
then to approach approach from a place of need.
(I'm so lonely, or I really need something)

I think that's why I prefer to be a more independent person. If i can take care of myself, I have no need to be thirsty.
Caesar was ambitious.

Better than having is being able to, but not wanting.

One of the biggest pleasures of a wise man is pretend to be dumb in front of a dumb man pretending to be wise.
Anxiety kicks in that I'm being played as a dummy.

But considering if I might be a dummy is what keeps me from being that dummy, or so I like to think.

wvnative

It's changing everything. Again.

Nothing else comes close.

New blood, new battles.

The next generation of aces.

The dawn of a new chronicle.

Unite as one, fly over reality.

Last edited:

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
"IF HE DIES HE DIES"

Expanding on my initial post of which I'm not sure if it's a motto persé;

"It is what it is"

Life is dynamic and thus unpredictable.

Generally speaking and in the context of external factors shit happens.

Without going into examples (lie), for myself it's more or less accepting the situation for what it is and deal accordingly depending on the scenario

(context depended, there are tiers ofcourse)

"It is what it is" merely implies a perspective that things are what they are. And depending on the incident/scenario you can find peace of mind and from there on deal with said scenario in whichever way you choose.

Ok, one simple example:

You dropped a glass bottle and it broke. Well. It is what it is. And let's deal accordingly and clean it up and be done with it. It happened. Ofcourse this motto is applicable to non issue's to someone's death. So yeah.

In the end i suppose it's a way of dealing with the dynamic nature of life and be accepting and or with peace which has transpired. I personally (have yet "knocks on wood") use it for relative minor scenarios. And to be clear this goes for both external factors playing a role in creating a scenario or something you've done yourself (not talking about predicated murder OF)

It's usage can help or be deemed not caring depending on the person, scenario and overal context.

Sorry for the long post. Guess i wrote it more for myself then the reader.

But then again, it is what it is.

FunkMiller

I'm just curious if any of you have a guiding principle, or a short phrase defining your purpose or "inner spirit".

Mine is "Be Here Now", inspired by actor Andy Whitfield. I saw a documentary on Netflix about his cancer ordeal and decided to get the same tattoo he had 2 weeks before starting my chemotherapy in 2018.

It keeps me grounded and I do look at it once in a while :messenger_winking:

And as a former degenerate alcoholic drunk ass bum there's another motto I keep close to my heart:

"Once is a mistake, twice is a decision".

What are your guiding principles or philosophy?

And yes funny or wiseass answers are also welcomed :messenger_smiling_with_eyes:

I was in Sydney when Andy died. It hit hard. He was so good in Spartacus, and I genuinely think he was on the brink of a huge career. A far, far bigger loss than anybody realised then, or now. He sounded like an absolutely beautiful human being, and someone with charisma for miles.

As for a motto, I always think of Stephen King's one:

"It's a long way back to Eden sweetheart, so don't sweat the small stuff."

Life is hard. Don't make it harder by worrying about the inconsequential things.

Last edited:

Fools idol

Banned
Be greedy when others are fearful, be fearful when others are greedy.

It's what made me rich.

I believe the original comes from Warren buffet. Also known as 'buy when the americans are selling, sell when the americans are buying' 🤣

works every time on any stock tbh

Mitsurux

'We make time for the things we want to to do, and excuses for the things we don't"

Not sure if i hear this some where or what.. but I've definitely see it (done it) in my life.

Top Bottom