• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you install/uninstall a lot of your steam games?

untitledyekvt.png

I keep interesting games installed; uninstall when I'm finished/not interested anymore. Pretty simple.

C:/D: (SSDs) = games I'm frequently playing/more interested in
E:/F (HHDs) = rest

I'm using Link Shell Extension to move games to/from SSD so Steam still can find the games (without any reconfiguration). It's similar to SteamMover, just more user-friendly and natively integrated to Windows Explorer (or rather, it's implemented within the right-click context menu).

Some tips for managing/cleaning up space:

• Use WinDirStat to get a better overview of what's taking up space on your disk
  • Use TikiOne Steam Cleaner to remove useless redistributable packages (these are only useful first time launching the game - if you happen to need them again you can just verify the cache files via Steam)
  • Remove/move files and folders you don't need or rarely use with Shell Link Extension. Basically you move files/folders to another drive (as you normally do), and let Shell Link Extension drop a "link" so Windows thinks the files/folders you moved are still located in the original path. I'm doing this with a lot of stuff; e.g. if there are some maps for a specific game I'm never playing (or something similar) I just move them to a non-SSD drive (slower loading for these specific maps, but more space on SSD).
  • Use CCleaner

Tabby

Im the sort of guy that downloads a game, get bored and uninstall, and then decide to download and play it again a few days later.
I've learnt to just get a separate hard drive for games and just leave everything installed.

It takes me days to download 15 gigs, so no, i don't do that!

Back your games up to an external HDD. That's what I do, because my internet is so slow, it would take me a week to download all my games.

With them backed up on a HDD, it takes just minutes to reinstall them.

Skelter

Banned
I have game I've never even installed. I keep my larger downloads like Borderlands 2 or Witcher 2 installed all the time but something small like Dark Souls or Civilization I'll remove. I have crazy good speeds so it doesn't matter too much to me.

mclem

It's simple: People with unlimited internet = loaders, people with limited internet = hoarders.

Also, people with massive collections = loaders. I happen to have unlimited internet anyway, but the reason I chop and change installed content so frequently is because my collection's so large that I don't have enough disk space to realistically have it on top of everything else.

Hmm. Is there anything akin to the "how much is your account worth" that covers "How large is a full install of your account"?

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
I have a PC in my living room entirely dedicated to games, with a 1.5TB HDD. Everything is installed. No uninstalls yet.
I have about 300 games on my account, not counting multiplayer modules or episodes of stuff like Telltale games.

Anteater

Only when I need space, and yeah I've noticed steam don't remove my local files, mostly the free weekend ones (but maybe it's because they are the ones I most likely will remove).

Dolor

I bought a Samsung 840 EVO 750GB and that allows me to keep everything on my hard drive that I am interested in playing, make it fast and convenient.

The exception is that I keep my current favorite games installed on a separate drive as I occassionally go back to them when I am not trying something new.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Hmm. Is there anything akin to the "how much is your account worth" that covers "How large is a full install of your account"?

Steam Gauge does this, though I'm not sure how accurate it is as it doesn't work for me.

Edit: Using the old version of the look-up tool worked. The game count it's reporting is in my case short by 58 and not all of those it did detect have install size info, plus with regard to the latter, from a cursory glance it seems DLC isn't a factor.

mclem

Steam Gauge does this, though I'm not sure how accurate it is as it doesn't work for me.

Edit: Using the old version of the look-up tool worked. The game count it's reporting is in my case short by 58 and not all of those it did detect have install size info, plus with regard to the latter, from a cursory glance it seems DLC isn't a factor.

Over the last 9 years, you've spent 686.9 hours playing this selection, which includes 914 items, is valued at $10859.56, and requires 2213.5 GB

So 2.2TB for my complete collection. I do theoretically have disc space to cover that, but other things have eaten it up.

Top Bottom