• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you let your cat or dog on rhe furniture?

F

Foamy

Unconfirmed Member
We have a medium size dog. There's a part of me that doesn't want to let her on the couch/bed but I can't help it. She's such a good dog and it makes her happy being close to us. My wife doesn't like it but she just throws her hands up in the air now cause she knows I'm an enabler and I don't try to discourage it.

JimiNutz

Banned
My partner and I are the kind of weirdos that don't have kids yet and treat the dogs as though they are our children.

Yes, we allow them wherever they want. It's not an issue at all with the little Jack Russell as she takes up very little space but it's quite funny having the Husky X Malamute sitting next to me on the sofa.

We have to hoover a lot - like 3 times a day and the amount of hair that comes up is incredible.
I understand why some would call it dirty but we love those dogs and don't give a fuck.

F

Foamy

Unconfirmed Member
My dog has her own sofa.

photo-1540991825428-5b54b09f7338

teezzy

Banned
My dog is a German Shepherd/ Rottweiler who loves to shed. Shes not allowed on the furniture, but has this big expensive bed to herself which might as well be a piece of the funiture.

Theres a couch she likes to go on when I'm not home, so she can look out the window and stuff. Seeing as that's the only 'misbehaving' she does, I never scold her for it.

we have a 50 pounder, wirehaired light shedder.

our dog used to just lay on his own bed.

then he slowly migrated to sleeping on the couches at night when everyone was asleep and we didnt mind it much.

but he didnt really jump on things due to partial wood floors and the height (dunno why height hes a big dog). occasionally he would cry at night to come on the bed and i'd have to pick up him so he could lay with us, knowing he would jump off within 30 min or so, but it would silence his crying. (hes the clingy type)

then boarded him at someones house and said we were fine with him going on furniture/bed (knowing he wouldnt jump up to the bed etc)

then when we came home from the trip, apparently he had learned a new trick. out of nowhere he just started leaping onto our bed, which he NEVER did prior to the trip.

its odd, because we always wanted him to jump up on his own...but now that he does it...we get annoyed. Because now he brings his general filth ( worse if hes actually hes dirty...), he leaves his dark shed on our white sheets, he sprawls out ( thank GOD we have a king bed, but still its like adding another adult body), he incessantly licks himself which is loud af, he jumps on and off multiple times a night, he has to sleep touching you so effectively he lays with his weight on you.

ANYWAYS, we love him and even enjoy when he lays with us because its fun to snuggle and rub him, but god damn I would be lying if I didnt say how much of a hindrance his new "trick" is.

this is a pure "be careful what you wish for" scenario.

the other bit that pisses me off is that we have a spare couch that no one ever really uses and is relatively brand new. its in my home office which he uses to sleep on every day though while i work. and just over time i can see all these random stains, debris, and hair accumulating. he's just singlehandedly ruining it, without it ever really getting touched by a human.

i do keep him clean though, and try to clean our sheets, and ensure the bed is made so hes laying on top of the comforter and not directly the sheets as often as possible. but dirt is dirt. and like life it finds a way....

Last edited:
H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
We have cats so we don’t have any say in it. Roman is more adventurous but when they were little Niko didn’t have enough confidence to jump onto the kitchen worktop. We felt bad that Roman was roamin and Niko was stuck on the floor so we put a chair by the worktop so he could jump up and get his confidence. We have since regretted this.

notseqi

Small blankets to mark her spot on the couch and catch hair.
She has her own 1-seater Sofa close to my gaming setup and can switch between that and the couch or even my bed in the bedroom if she wants a little more peace and quiet.
Got no desire for children so she gets all the love.

Top Bottom