• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you like talking to people on the phone?

TaySan

Banned
I really don't which sucks about this pandemic for me. :( I have a hard time speaking clearly and communicating over the phone so i prefer texting or ordering online off an app. How do you guys fare with it?

Wanted some Thai food today, but i forgot everything where i live is takeout or delivery(delivery was out of my range).
I wish every restaurant had an app that would be amazing.

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
I don't mind, but outside of my family, most people I know don't really use theirs for talking. Everyone else it's texts, emails, or discord.

TindalosPup

I'm terrible at talking on the phone, specifically when ordering food

My friend in highschool made me order the food one night when I stayed over, of course I declined but peer pressure and wanting to eat ended up making me do it. I did fine until the cheese fries: "... I'd also like some cheese fries, curly, " at this point I should have stopped and pulled it off like I was trying to do a Bond impersonation, but of course I continued, "Curly cheese flies," to which my friend and their cousin started laughing at hysterically while I was still on the phone and of course I was teased mercilessly after this point. The fries ended up being weirdly soupy, so my friend said they probably jizzed in our cheese fries because I don't know how to speak

That experience did nothing to help my telephobia

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Yes I do.

"Hello restaurant, I would like X, Y, and Z please. Thank you, I'll be there in 15 minutes".

It's easy!

jolof96

No. After years of my work involving telephony and being screamed at by the unwashed masses, I will avoid speaking to anyone where possible.

Ar¢tos

I don't like talking to people in general, they don't consolidate information and deliver it in the minimum amount of time and words, everything has to be wrapped in layers of nonsense and useless information, regardless of talking on the phone or in person.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
I used to not like it but after having huge amounts of misunderstandings with my last girlfriend through texting and generally feeling that I lost my ability to argue with people in person properly due to the constant texting I decided to take every phone call I can.

Grinchy

Banned
It depends on what it is. I hate talking to customer service people on the phone. They ask you the problem, you explain it really well, then they go through their checklist of questions and you re-explain what you already told them in 8 different ways and then have to go above them to get it fixed anyway after explaining it yet again.

nush

Avoidant behavior prevents you from getting more proficient at social tasks. Face it and overcome. Think of it as part of your responsibility during this pandemic.

I think this is the case with a lot of social phobias, it's not a condition. they have just avoided learning how to do things as you say, then blame having a "Condition". I used to not like talking on the phone back in the day but to do business you HAD to talk on the phone. You got so good at it that you knew who you could just phone up for a chat that was only tangibly business related but is a manager walked passed you were "Working" because you were on the phone to a customer/supplier.
I built up some solid business relationships with people I have never met and that had a lot of advantages and benefits. Now everybody just messages, and it's shit.

Cutty Flam

Banned
I’ve always despised it. I’m reserved, and dont really talk that much as it is, but talking in the phone for some reason doesn’t seem natural and I hate it

Talking to others face to face is no problem but whether it’s business, talking to a friend, relative, whoever is on the other end it doesn’t matter I abhor speaking on the phone even before texting was a huge thing

Just something about it

Super Mario

Banned
I loathe talking on the phone. Especially forced calls that have no point. I also hate ordering/giving information over the phone as it takes far longer than just doing it online.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Have you ever had a significant other? Do you kids just text back and forth nowadays. The world is doomed.

MSfq0XE.png

Practice makes perfect. I have trouble talking sometimes as I stutter and have gone to speech therapy up until my mid-20s. Some conversations are better than others (mostly better overall compared to when I was a kid), and in an emergency situation you can't put it off so it's better to get comfortable talking on the phone sooner rather than later. You have to make a conscious effort to get better at whatever it is you struggle with.

Last edited:

Nester99

Yes, Prefer it to all other forms of communication.

I am a fully functional and capable adult so your millage may very.

Nester99

Stop trying to bring your resetra "is everyone as wierd and sad as me" posts to neogaf.

TaySan

Banned
Stop trying to bring your resetra "is everyone as wierd and sad as me" posts to neogaf.

Well judging by the responses not liking talking on the phone is not exclusive to Era.

MaestroMike

Gold Member
In HS I took orders over the phone while working for Pizza hut I remember one time a caller and I couldn't stop laughing for like 5 minutes straight for no reason my boss looked at me like I was insane and I think I overheard his friends asking him wats so funny. I know when I tried to stop myself from laughing I just laughed even more. Went full joker. then when I finally took his order his card didn't go through and that was the end of it. Very strange incident

Riven326

Banned
No. I dont like small talk. I only talk to people when they need to know something. I keep it short and sweet. Text works fine.

TaySan

Banned
No. I dont like small talk. I only talk to people when they need to know something. I keep it short and sweet. Text works fine.
Nothing is worse than small talk especially if they are above you so you can't just tell them to fuck off and leave you alone. :(

Top Bottom