• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you put peanut butter and jam on their own side of the bread?

Flo_Evans

Do you even still eat PB&J?

I was making a late night PB&J and I was noticing I always do peanut butter 1st, then spread the jam on top of the peanut butter. Then the naked slice of bread goes on that.

Being the internet I am sure someone does it completely opposite and the wrong way.

So how do you make a PB&J?

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
If anyone says they smear both PB & J on one slice and then flip it onto a naked second slice I'm putting them on my ignore list

I spread PB on one slice of bread, Jam on another slice, and then I squish the two together. I really hate getting accidental PB into the Jam jar, which seems to happen more often if you spread jam on top of the PB.

But I'm open to advice.

I have the two slices next to each other. I put on the jelly first on my right, spread it out good. Then I do the peanut butter on the left and then I flip the PB on top of the J and have it like that.

mavo

Banned
DAjhAzOW0AE9rE5.jpg:large

Flo_Evans

Both slicess with PB then jam.

Whoa whoa. I never even considered this option.

I spread PB on one slice of bread, Jam on another slice, and then I squish the two together. I really hate getting accidental PB into the Jam jar, which seems to happen more often if you spread jam on top of the PB.

But I'm open to advice.

I try and go one knife dip per ingredient. Scoop out a huge chunk of PB, spread that around. Then I wipe the knife off and tilt the jam jar and kind of scoop/slide out a nice amount, then spread that on the PB. Never double dip.

LCGeek

formerly sane
Somtimes I like using light PB on both halfs and then layering the jam on top of it. Otherwise I tend to just put both on one half in the same fashion.

J-Tier

I do PB on both slices too, then excessive jam on top of the PB for one of the slices before smooshing them together.

But I'm open to advice.

Wipe off excess pb on the bread, or pour the jam/jelly/spread on the pb.

I love pb so I spread it on both slices.

Wait, when did the J in PB&J become jam and not jelly?

Since people started putting it on top of their PB.

The only way is peanut butter on one side, jelly on the other, eat a huge mouthful of peanut butter and feel like you can't breathe for a little while.

Wait, when did the J in PB&J become jam and not jelly?

Jam (aka, preserves) and jelly are technically two different things, but they're likely use interchangeably when referring to "PB&J."

Growing up I was blessed to always have jam because my mom used to make strawberry and blueberry jam at home when the fruit was in season. I think jam is considerably better than jelly, but I like both. My mom's strawberry jam is very similar in taste to Bonne Maman Preserves, which you might find at your supermarket. The taste is pretty damn close they may have used the same recipe... I'd prefer my mom's only knowing how much work she puts into it but it's really been years since she's made a lot because it takes multiple days to make:

GufFXXY.png

Though my mom's jam is probably "thicker" or has more chunks of fruit. She used to, literally, pay people in jam. As kids we used to stay at a friends' beach house for the week and they only accepted a small palette of mason jars w/ jam as a payment.

Alexlf

Butter + peanut butter on 1 slice, jam on the other.

Just realized I haven't had a PB&J sandwich in about 3 years. Off to buy some grape jam.

PsionBolt

• PB on one slice.
  • PB on a second slice.
  • Jam on a third slice.
  • Apply jam-slice to PB1.
  • More jam on the other side of jam-slice.
  • Apply PB2 to jam-slice.
The result is PB on both outer slices, with a core of double-sided jam. Like two sandwiches, but with one less piece of bread.

Jam on one piece of bread.
Peanut Butter on another piece of bread.

Jam first. Always first. Wipe residual jam left on knife on 2nd piece of bread. Use same, now clean(er) knife for PB. That way you dont get Jam in the PB jar.

But I'm open to advice.

Whoa whoa. I never even considered this option.

I try and go one knife dip per ingredient. Scoop out a huge chunk of PB, spread that around. Then I wipe the knife off and tilt the jam jar and kind of scoop/slide out a nice amount, then spread that on the PB. Never double dip.

Jam goes on one slice of bread first, because that's much easier to wipe off. Wipe that off on the clean bread, then use knife for peanut butter on that second slice. No PB in the jam jar.

Edit: Damn you Steven Segal!

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
PB on one piece of bread then jam on the other piece of bread then put them together. To avoid a mess I flip the peanut buttered piece of bread on top of the jammed piece.

If you put both on the same side of the bread it is much harder to ensure complete jam coverage since you are trying to spread it on top of peanut butter.

snacknuts

we all knew her
Apply peanut butter to one piece of bread. Drizzle honey onto the peanut butter. Close the sandwich with the heretofore undecorated slice. Leave jelly on the grocery shelf where it belongs.

One of my favorite things about gaf is how often we have to turn away from productive discussions about important issues to go over how to assemble a PB&j sandwich.

I personally take 2 slices of bread, smear peanut butter on one and jelly on the other, and then press them together.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Am I the only one who thoroughly mixes the jelly and peanut butter in a bowl first?

I know it's an extra step, but it tastes so much better that way. Completely consistent ratio of peanut butter to jelly across the entire sandwich, and has a wonderful smooth texture to it.

Top Bottom