• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you put peanut butter and jam on their own side of the bread?

"Pour"it on? How? Is jelly pourable?

Some can be pourable, especially different types of fruit and if thickening agents aren't added. Blueberry, raspberry, blackberry jam tends to be pourable, maybe with a little urging w/ a knife or spoon. Not sure if Trappist Preserves are available nationwide, but if you live in the North East there's a Trappist monastery that makes 'Trappist Preserves' and their jam is very pour-able.

Later in this video there's a monk checking the temperature of what looks like blueberry preserves and you can tell how viscous it is. It will thicken in the jar, especially if it's cold, but it's still generally pour-able:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4n7PSdwlQ8

Worth getting a jar if you're ever traveling through NEw England and find it, as it's considered some of the best jam in the world. It's not expensive either, $3 or $4 for a jar.

I feel like I know too much about jam, but... honestly my mom making jam when I was a kid is what drove me to try to find jam that's similar to hers. Bonne Maman is the closest for taste and consistency, but Trappist Preserves are also really good. Fun fact, this same monastery is the first (and only) Trappist brewery in the United States, as well.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
I always put peanut butter on the bread, then spread (raspberry) jam on half of the bread, and fold it over. They just taste better this way.

Rktk

Peanut Butter and Jelly Sandwiches are abhorrent enough but risking getting one inside the other's jar is taking the biscuit.

Voidwolf

I put PB on the first slice and then with another knife I put jelly on the other slice. Just like every civilized person should.

When I was growing up and would make PB&J for my friends, they always complimented my sandwich. It confused me at the time because its just a PB&J, but I just took the compliment.

Decades later I now realize its likely because they came from "PB on one slice, jelly on the other" homes and I introduced them to "PB on both slices, jelly in between".

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I have the two slices next to each other. I put on the jelly first on my right, spread it out good. Then I do the peanut butter on the left and then I flip the PB on top of the J and have it like that.

Are you left handed? I'm right handed and that sounds like a good way to get jelly on my hands

Spasm

Peanut butter goes on slice 1. Then wipe the dirty knife clean on slice 2 before sticking it in the jam. Jam then goes on slice 2.

There's a special place in hell for people who get the two in each other's jars.

Acyl

PB on one slice, jelly/jam on the other.

PB&J is a great and cheap office lunch food in a pinch! You can keep bread and peanut butter in your desk drawer, jelly in the work fridge, and a plastic knife you are good to go. I don't do this anymore but it was worth it when I wanted to save money on lunch and too lazy to make lunch at home.

Flo_Evans

Jam (aka, preserves) and jelly are technically two different things, but they're likely use interchangeably when referring to "PB&J."

Growing up I was blessed to always have jam because my mom used to make strawberry and blueberry jam at home when the fruit was in season. I think jam is considerably better than jelly, but I like both. My mom's strawberry jam is very similar in taste to Bonne Maman Preserves, which you might find at your supermarket. The taste is pretty damn close they may have used the same recipe... I'd prefer my mom's only knowing how much work she puts into it but it's really been years since she's made a lot because it takes multiple days to make:

GufFXXY.png

Though my mom's jam is probably "thicker" or has more chunks of fruit. She used to, literally, pay people in jam. As kids we used to stay at a friends' beach house for the week and they only accepted a small palette of mason jars w/ jam as a payment.

ha, that is my jam. :)

yananana

I wasn't even aware that peanut butter & jam sandwiches was a thing before entering this thread
I guess you learn something new everyday

Faiz

Am I the only one who thoroughly mixes the jelly and peanut butter in a bowl first?

I know it's an extra step, but it tastes so much better that way. Completely consistent ratio of peanut butter to jelly across the entire sandwich, and has a wonderful smooth texture to it.

As a general rule I don't. I do pb and jelly on separate slices.

But recently I had to make like 30 dinosaur shaped PB&J sandwiches for my nieces party. The easiest way to assemble was to cut the bread first to shape, combine peanut butter and jelly in a bowl, and spread onto a dinosaur shaped piece of bread. It wasn't bad, but we didn't stir thoroughly at all, it was just barely combined. Still nice large chunks of jelly so you get the burst in a bite, and it was a LOT easier to spread on the cut shapes of bread.

If you made the sandwich first, the cutter was too narrow for the whole sand which and it got really messed up.

PB on both sides. Jam only on one slice and sorta collected in the middle.

Less sugar and more protein,. Also, PB seals in the jam from all sides, along with top and bottom.

Hale-XF11

I accidentally got a little bit of jam in the peanut butter jar today while making a sandwich. Do I tell my wife or say nothing and hope she doesn't notice?

Phu

Banned
I accidentally got a little bit of jam in the peanut butter jar today while making a sandwich. Do I tell my wife or say nothing and hope she doesn't notice?

Just scoop it out and eat it. But at least tell her, nobody wants to find surprise substances in food.

Zackat

My father has eaten 2 PB & Js every weekday for the past 30 years. He is an absolute machine. The madman.

He is a pro and puts PB on one side and Jelly on the other. Like any sensible person would.

Eidan

I put peanut butter one slice, scrape off the leftover remnants into the peanut butter jar, then put jelly on another slice. Putting them both on the same slice is how you get jelly in your peanut butter jar or the opposite, which I've always found gross.

Alright kids, I'm going to let you in on a next-level maneuver.

You spread the jam....

With the backside of a spoon.

Nevermore will you tear through your toast or bread using a butter knife to spread jam. You're welcome.

What? This how people eat PB&J Sandwiches?

I put PB on the left side of the sandwich and the J on the right side, and always throw away the part in the middle where they sort of mix.

Top Bottom