• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you think Konami will release another original 2D Castlevania on DS?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think I've decided to skip Dawn of Sorrow, I was SO close to buying it but then spent my money on other stuff, there are a few things about it that I don't like, and looking back on how many Castlevanias were released on GBA and their progression, I'd much rather play a slightly improved and refined one on DS down the road than play DoS now and maybe not fully enjoy "the definitive portable Castlevania" in the future because I've been burnt out on the formula.

So what are the chances of another 2D Castlevania on the DS? And is it ever gonna have Ayami Kojima's artwork again?

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
if the next Castlevania on DS is better than DoS then holy fuck :O DoS is pretty much the perfect Castlevania in my mind.

hooo

boooy
Error2k4 said:
if the next Castlevania on DS is better than DoS then holy fuck :O DoS is pretty much the perfect Castlevania in my mind.

:) I look forward to having my mind blown. The only nitpick I have with it is that it's use of the DS's extra features aren't all that well intergrated (though they work well enough as long as you use your finger instead of the stylus).

aparisi2274

Naked Snake said:
I think I've decided to skip Dawn of Sorrow, I was SO close to buying it but then spent my money on other stuff, there are a few things about it that I don't like, and looking back on how many Castlevanias were released on GBA and their progression, I'd much rather play a slightly improved and refined one on DS down the road than play DoS now and maybe not fully enjoy "the definitive portable Castlevania" in the future because I've been burnt out on the formula.

So what are the chances of another 2D Castlevania on the DS? And is it ever gonna have Ayami Kojima's artwork again?

If you skipped on DoS, then a fool is you... Dawn of Sorrow has to be THE best 2D castlevania I ever played, and that includes Symphony of the Night, which up until this game was my all time favorite CV.

I still hate Konami for ruining the series on the consoles with these shit 3D versions.

But seriously dude, skipping DoS is a MAJOR MISTAKE!!!!

Ranger X

Circle of the moon and Harmony of Dissonance were skipable simply because they weren't at least as hot as Shymphony of the night.
Dawn of Sorrow SURPASSES Shymphony in my humble opinion.
What the hell to wait for another Castlevania here? Your reasoning is off there.

jarrod

Banned
I still find CotM worth playing, it definitely has a different feel than Iga's Metroidvanias. HoD though was just crap, you're better off skipping that trainwreck.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
Error2k4 said:

I'd want them to bring back special move inputs for magic and certain weapons.

The main character looks horrid, and his walking animation is gay... boxart sucks ass too. Yes those things matter to me.

*hides for cover*

But I'm looking at more screenshots of the game and I think I might eventually cave in... For the record the only Castlevanias I played were Symphony of the Night and Circle of the Moon and loved both. Sure I sampled many others including 3D ones (I even own Castlevania 64) but didn't really play them.

Ranger X

Naked Snake said:
The main character looks horrid, and his walking animation is gay... boxart sucks ass too. Yes those things matter to me.

*hides for cover*

??????? he walks just like Alucard. Alucard is gay??

Tarazet

I love how Konami refuses to abandon 2D. Gradius V sells 33,500 (that's an exact number) copies in a year, yet they commit to a new PS3 edition - and it's 2D! Bless them.

jarrod

Banned
sonarrat said:
I love how Konami refuses to abandon 2D. Gradius V sells less than 30,000 copies in a year, yet they commit to a new PS3 edition - and it's 2D! Bless them.
Is it 2D confirmed? I though they just announced "New Gradius"?

Though Konami's previous foray into a possible 3D Gradius (Vic Viper) crashed and burned horribly.

Xellotah

sonarrat said:
I love how Konami refuses to abandon 2D. Gradius V sells less than 30,000 copies in a year, yet they commit to a new PS3 edition - and it's 2D! Bless them.

A parodius would be nice ... even better, if it were for the DS.

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
Aurora said:
Ooh, sounds interesting. Anything else known about this?

Igarashi once stated that the handheld games will take place after 1999, while the console games will fill in the gaps in the timeline up till 1999.

Sonarrat: True, but I'd like them to give 'Vania the GV treatment - 2D gameplay but more 3D influences. SotN had it a bit and DoS has it again at a few locations, but they could do so much more.

Ranger X

Xello...
You had to answer " I will not" in Alucard's gay voice. You don't want to play my overgeekly game? lol (or maybe you don't know the speechs in SOTN)

jgkspsx

Rei_Toei said:
Igarashi once stated that the handheld games will take place after 1999, while the console games will fill in the gaps in the timeline up till 1999.
That's not good at all.

Two installments of Soma is enough for me.

And Europe gets a less offensive boxart

B0009XH4EI.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

B0009Z3K9E.01-A1NDBS7YGOPBD6._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Unfair

Tarazet

jarrod said:
Is it 2D confirmed? I though they just announced "New Gradius"?

Though Konami's previous foray into a possible 3D Gradius (Vic Viper) crashed and burned horribly.

It's not official yet, but I'll bet the farm on it.

Castlevania DoS is better than SotN. Buy it. I thought the stylus features during boss fights sucked, but carving your own platforms with it was pretty cool and something I'd like to see used more in the next game.

aparisi2274

Naked Snake: If you dont notice that almost evey post in this thread has been claiming how amazing this game is and how it is better than even the legendary Symphony of the night, then I dont know whats going on with you.

To try and say you wont play a game because the box art sucks, and the walking animation sucks, is just plain retarded.

Will you be looking at the box art when playing the game? NO. Mine is in a bookshelf, where I cant even see it.

When you are walking in the game, you arent even going to notice the animation. You are going to be worrying about killing monsters.

Just go out and get this game and enjoy it. It really is that damn good.

Raytow

Nope, no shrinkwrap, it's all there in all its cheesy glory... *sigh* they couldn't leave the logos in the backcover(the same logos are there) no sir.

Xellotah

Raytow said:
Nope, no shrinkwrap, it's all there in all its cheesy glory... *sigh* they couldn't leave the logos in the backcover(the same logos are there) no sir.

That's interesting, I've noticed that the box art of Meteos at the retail stores had the scores from various magazines printed on the front, but its not on the boxart on my copy ( which I ordered from amazon.co.uk ).

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
jarrod said:
I still find CotM worth playing, it definitely has a different feel than Iga's Metroidvanias. HoD though was just crap, you're better off skipping that trainwreck.

Totally agreed with Jarrod on CotM. Fantastic game that I might just play through again because it does feel so different from HoD, AoS, and DoS. I loved the card combination system that gave you all sorts of different weapons. Plus, later on, when you had all the abilities, you were jumping around all over the place like a bad ass -- to the point where your feet never had to touch the ground.

I really do need to play it again because I beat it a couple times back in the day but that was on my unlit piece of shit GBA. I haven't even really gone back and played it on an SP or DS yet.

That said, Castlevania DS is the fucking bomb in your face. It is by far the best 2D Castlevania, and probably the best DS game (that is, until you finish it). I'm currently playing it now, and taking my sweet time. 6.5 hours in, and only 33% done. Lots of soul collecting and leveling happening here.

aparisi2274

chespace said:
Totally agreed with Jarrod on CotM. Fantastic game that I might just play through again because it does feel so different from HoD, AoS, and DoS. I loved the card combination system that gave you all sorts of different weapons. Plus, later on, when you had all the abilities, you were jumping around all over the place like a bad ass -- to the point where your feet never had to touch the ground.

I really do need to play it again because I beat it a couple times back in the day but that was on my unlit piece of shit GBA. I haven't even really gone back and played it on an SP or DS yet.

That said, Castlevania DS is the fucking bomb in your face. It is by far the best 2D Castlevania, and probably the best DS game (that is, until you finish it). I'm currently playing it now, and taking my sweet time. 6.5 hours in, and only 33% done. Lots of soul collecting and leveling happening here.

Che, I have been doing the same thing... I am at 84% castle, lvl 46, and I am just walking around collecting souls right now. I love the game so much, i dont want the experience to end. I already saw the bad ending, so now its on to collecting the souls and opening 100% castle.

Since no really really found the touchscreen feature on this game, wouldn't it's side-scrollerness be more suited to the PSP? How wide it is...

jgkspsx

At nearly 100% completion (level 95, all souls, 100% castle, all but 5 enemy drops identified, most weapons, most equipment), I'm 35 hours in. That's a lot of time. A lot of time. Especially for a portable.

And CotM is indeed the shit. I wish IGA didn't have exclusive control of Castlevania these days.

Sapiens

Maybe they should put a woman in charge of Castlevania. All of the best stuff from the series has come from chicks; the music and the art. Maybe give IGA a sex change?

Temujin

I must've played more than 25 hours on DoS, haven't played a handheld game this much since the first Fire Emblem. And that for "just" an action-platformer (although I must admit I'm a bit of a Castlevania fanboy heh).

I loved CotM. The least you can say is that it's much more challenging than follow-ups. DoS might be slightly harder than HoD and AoS, but I didn't find it challenging at all until I started Julius mode.

Anyway, I really should go through CotM and SotN again...

Sapiens

Naked Snake said:
I'm waiting to replay CotM when I get the Micro... I'll probably replay a lot of my GBA games then.

Make sure you take the time to replay SMW on Micro. Of all the games ive played on micro, SMW just felt so right. (moreso than Yoshi's or Sm3)

Sapienshomo said:
Make sure you take the time to replay SMW on Micro. Of all the games ive played on micro, SMW just felt so right. (moreso than Yoshi's or Sm3)

SMW is my least favorite Mario platformer, probably cause I never owned a SNES, I played it on GBA... but then again, I played Yoshi's Island on GBA and it blew my mind.

Xellotah

Wyzdom said:
Xello...
You had to answer " I will not" in Alucard's gay voice. You don't want to play my overgeekly game? lol (or maybe you don't know the speechs in SOTN)

I can't remember correctly, but I thought that was said by Alucard to Death, not vice versa but I guess not.

Ranger X

Xellotah said:
I can't remember correctly, but I thought that was said by Alucard to Death, not vice versa but I guess not.

I can't remember all of that speech but it was indeed Alucard and Death, near the beginning:

Death: Ahhh, Alucard. **can remember what's after**. But i demand you cease your attacks.

Alucard: I will not.

Death: You shall regret those words.... **then you lose your equipment as Death fade away**.

What an amazing game lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom