• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you think Konami will release another original 2D Castlevania on DS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jgkspsx

Well, actually...

Wyzdom said:
Death: Ahhh, Alucard. What is your business here?

Alucard: I've come to put an end to this.

Death: Still befriending mortals. I'll not ask you to return to our side, but I demand you cease your attack!

Alucard: I will not.

Death: You shall regret those words.... we'll meet again!

Rei_Toei said:
Igarashi once stated that the handheld games will take place after 1999, while the console games will fill in the gaps in the timeline up till 1999.

Sonarrat: True, but I'd like them to give 'Vania the GV treatment - 2D gameplay but more 3D influences. SotN had it a bit and DoS has it again at a few locations, but they could do so much more.
What the hell is GV?

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Bataman said:
Since no really really found the touchscreen feature on this game, wouldn't it's side-scrollerness be more suited to the PSP? How wide it is...

I thought this too until I realize one critical issue: loading. How annoying would it be to go soul collecting and having to load in between every area? Even adding one second to go back and forth to areas would be so irritating considering you have to kill the same monster over and over again a lot of the time to get its soul.

But I'm pretty sure they could overcome that issue if they decide to make a 2D castlevania on the psp though. I don't think Iga will do one anytime soon though.

Yeah they could probably stream all the adjacent rooms or something... Was there loading between rooms on PSOne Castlevanias? I can't seem to remember.

Naked Snake said:
Yeah they could probably stream all the adjacent rooms or something... Was there loading between rooms on PSOne Castlevanias? I can't seem to remember.

There was only loading between different areas of the map, not each room.

The streaming idea would probably work but I'd be concerned with it killing battery life. I don't have a PSP though, so (old) reports of poor battery life may have been exaggerated.

Naked Snake said:
I think I've decided to skip Dawn of Sorrow, I was SO close to buying it but then spent my money on other stuff, there are a few things about it that I don't like, and looking back on how many Castlevanias were released on GBA and their progression, I'd much rather play a slightly improved and refined one on DS down the road than play DoS now and maybe not fully enjoy "the definitive portable Castlevania" in the future because I've been burnt out on the formula.

So what are the chances of another 2D Castlevania on the DS? And is it ever gonna have Ayami Kojima's artwork again?

Pretty ridiculous argument here, considering DoS is one of the best 2D action games in the past decade, but it's your money.

BorkBork said:
I thought this too until I realize one critical issue: loading. How annoying would it be to go soul collecting and having to load in between every area? Even adding one second to go back and forth to areas would be so irritating considering you have to kill the same monster over and over again a lot of the time to get its soul.

But I'm pretty sure they could overcome that issue if they decide to make a 2D castlevania on the psp though. I don't think Iga will do one anytime soon though.

Loading wasn't an issue with the PSone version, and PSP has like 10 times the memory to work with, so loading shouldn't be an issue either as you could load bigger chunks at once without needing another transition for a while. Loading was hidden by traveling through rooms connecting to different areas of the map.

methodman

Banned
there really isn't any reason why this game won't come to the PSP other then the fact that Iga probably doesn't want it there

Idioteque said:
SOTN and COTM are the two best Castlevanias.

DOS is great, but It doesn't come close to being as great as those games.

It was going all well and I was *this* close to crossing the line to the dark side, then you came and had to make it all confusing again :(

jgkspsx

In my affections:
SotN
SCIV
DoS
CotM
AoS
CVI
CVII
CVIII
Dracula X SNES
HoD

Haven't played Rondo of Blood.

Really, if you own a DS for any reason other than Nintendogs, you owe it to yourself to get DoS.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
You have a DS. Get DoS now (It is that good), enjoy it, and you have a year (or more) to wait for the next Castlevania. No burnout.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom