• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you think Pokemon and Mario would have been successful games without the aid of the tv series along side it?

levyjl1988

Banned
I grew up with Pokemon and Super Mario franchises. But I noticed that if the games came out without the aid of the television and anime series do you think the franchises would be as successful as it is?

Playing the games was ok, you were trying to interpret the environment and the Pokemon without much animation or story, you had to wholeheartedly use your imagination, but when paired up with the TV series, then it adds dimensionality to the series that the games could never portray.

Like if one were to play Pokemon and explore Pallet town in the game compared to what was envisioned in the TV show, it would never have aligned in comparison due to technical challenges.

Pallet Town (in the game)

UqX8NYT.png

Pallet Town (in the anime)

P4sfJ9h.jpg
kF75Tdw.jpg

S.S Anne (in the game)
bsk8zSM.jpg
S9HxDyw.png

(S.S. Anne in the anime)
yv6qTRk.png
7xjQlXf.jpg

Marvel is extremely successful and gained much more traction when the comics hit the big screen beyond just being regulated within its comic book origins.
People are fans of Marvel because of the movies more than the comics because of certain media limitations.

Kuranghi

The SS Anne's ballroom in the anime looks to wider than the ship, the scale is insane haha

To Boat Designer: "We need to have a room on the boat that seats 1000 people"
Boat Designer: "I'm going to need the innards of a Tardis"

Fbh

Mario I think would have been fine.
Growing up everyone love Mario games and I don't think the show even aired in my country.

Pokemon on the other hand, I think it would have still been a successful gaming IP but I don't think it would have reached that "worldwide phenomenon" status without the anime.

Last edited:

Kamina

Golden Boy
Pokemon didnt need the anime, but the anime surely helped to keep it hyped between the first few generations.

Funnily enough around my area back in the day, the trading cards and anime were way more popular than the games. Game popularity didn't seem to gain much traction till later generations (Nintendo DS)

Alebrije

Mario never needed Tv....its an icon of an industry that growed a lot the last 40 years....

Tv / Movies / Theme Parks ...need Mario...not the contrary.

Fake

IMO yes. Of course that the first season of Pokemon series gave the game so much love.

Ascend

Mario had a TV series...? Ok... Didn't know.

The Pokemon games were successful before the TV series so... I think it helped expand the audience, but not that the games wouldn't be a success without the TV series.
Now, they function to bring in new generations into the franchise.

I've never heard anyone suggest Mario's popularity had anything to do with the horrible American cartoon.

I'm still waiting for the Mario game that starts with Mario jumping out if a pipe and yelling, "Hey, paisanos!".

Last edited:

Termite

Mario's success has 0% to do with any TV show.

Pokemon would have been a successful game series without the anime, but the mega-explosion of pokemon into a worldwide phenomenon was definitely driven as much by the anime as the games.

Lol at mario cartoon.

Still watched it though, had to watch something, after all.
They also showed Zelda cartoon on some days, that was better.

Excuuuse me, princess!

Diddy X

Pokemon games and series are just as popular I'd say, 50/50, but then you have all the merchandising, the cards, I guess througout time they have raised and lowered in popularity.

They all feed each other in a circle.

Last edited:
Top Bottom