• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you think Sony is justified in raising the price of PS+ or is it anti-consumer?

What's your opinion on Sony raising PSN prices?

• It's another anti-consumer tactic.

Votes: 75 58.6%
  • It is fine, Sony need the extra money to ______

Votes: 53 41.4%

• Total voters
We know Sony has been kind of crazy with anti-consumer practices lately with censorship, blocking PS2 emulation, blaming devs for problems they can fix like cross-play or other system issues, removing digital codes from retailers outside the ones that they get big cuts from, trying to hijack IP for themselves after acting like a friend to smaller devs, Vita cards, rejecting features from companies (Like EA access) until people pound it into their head, etc...

But recently Sony has raised, out of nowhere, the price of PS+, with rumors circulating from insiders that eventually they will raise it in the US and many other places shortly.

Now, it's one thing if PS+ was maybe losing Sony money (it's not) or they were trying to use it to improve features and infrastructure (they likely are not), but the issue with the former is that it's baloney, and the issue with the later is that it's the same excuse they used when charging for PSN multiplayer, yet, we never saw that money do anything to really improve the service outside small marginal upgraded that clearly didn't need that money to be implemented.

So do you give Sony the benefit of the doubt and say this price raise is NEEDED or do you think it's another anti-consumer tactical method?

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
People REALLY need to understand what anti consumer means. Because this isn't it.
Sounds anti-consumer to me.

When PS3 was playing catch up to 360, online gaming was free. Sony added an optional PS+ for free games (a ton of them too).

PS3 catches up to 360, and PS4 is already gaining big momemtum due to Xbox One being laughed at. Sony decides to charge for online gaming.

PS4 steamrolls the competition, raises prices and cuts the number of free PS+ games from 5-6 to 2.

Funny how runaway success = claw back on gamer perks

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
Anti consumer definitive

1.- They do not explain to you or why they increase the price, ( They only increase you, like Sony saying " there the ball goes and you get fuck off")

2.- They take away games like PS3 and PS VIta and they do not even increase the quality of them, more than 2 miserable games and it bothered me the month where they gave 2 Indie Games that was in May Overcooked! and What Remains of Edith Finch I mean, i paying for this piece of Crap?

3.- DO NOT USE THE RESOURCES AS IT SHOULD BE, WHY I AM PAYING A SERVICE TO MAINTAIN THE SERVERS AND CLOSED THE ONLINE SERVERS FROM GRAVITY RUSH 2, HOW THEY COULD FUCK PASS THAT WITH A FUCKING DAMN AND MORE WITH A MARVELOUS GAME?

5.- The excuse that they increase the space to upload my save data is a big STUPIDITY.

6.- Definitely I will dedicate myself to playing the PS Plus titles and when I finish them, I will never go back to Pay for this NEFASTO service

Whitesnake

Banned
Bro if you’re gonna make a thread on this at least post the numbers.

In the UK, the monthly price is increasing from £6 to £7, the quarterly cost from £15 to £20, and an annual pass is rising from £40 to £50.
The story is the same elsewhere in Europe, where the monthly, quarterly and yearly prices will be revised to €8, €25 and €60, respectively.
In Japan, the prices for one- and three-month subscriptions will be raising to 850 yen and 2150 yen, respectively. However, a yearly subscription apparently is keeping the same price of 5143 yen.

In Sweden and Switzerland, however, all membership tiers will get a price increase. Here are all of the new prices:
  • Sweden
    • 1 month – 95.00 kr (up from 75.00 kr)
    • 3 months – 260.00 kr (up from 235.00 kr)
    • 1 year – 620.00 kr (up from 575.00 kr)
  • Switzerland
    • 1 month – 9.90 CHF (up from 7.90 CHF)
    • 3 months – 27.90 CHF (up from 24.90 CHF)
    • 1 year – 69.90 CHF (up from 59.90 CHF)

This is all a bit shitty, but it’s not unprecedented.

I recall a time when a yearly pass for PS+ was $50. Years back it got changed to $60.
They also don’t seem to be changing the prices for North America or South America, and the yearly pass will be the same for Japan.
Seems like it’s just Europe getting shafted.

I think it’s especially shitty that they’re doing this after taking PS3 and PSVita out of the rotation for free games.

IDK, maybe this is a long-overdue response to how the values of those currencies have changed since those prices were set, maybe they’re desperate for money and are trying to get it wherever they can, etc.

I find the forced censorship far more concerning than this.

Geki-D

Banned
lol How is Voost Kain back? His ban wasn't a perma? Ah well, I give him a week.
"Anti-consumer" is quickly becoming the most-abused non-concept on the internet.
It's something Xbox fanboys want to pin on Sony, that's why they keep bringing it up no matter how ill-fitting the matter is and oh boy, does Voost Kain hate Sony.

Anyway, the price raise is definitely shitty considering that Sony just removed games from Plus but it's not "anti-customer" in any way.

fallingdove

It's something Xbox fanboys want to pin on Sony, that's why they keep bringing it up no matter how ill-fitting the matter is and oh boy, does Voost Kain hate Sony.

Anyway, the price raise is definitely shitty considering that Sony just removed games from Plus but it's not "anti-customer" in any way.

A perma-ban for Voost would have been excellent. With e3 and a PS5 announcement around the corner, I expect the editorialized trash Voost wastes their time putting together to increase by 5782x.

Mista

Banned
How's that even possible when MS raised the price of Xbox Live? Whats this thread have to do with Xbox fanboys to begin with? He might just hate Sony without being an Xbox fanboy or is it that everyone that hates Sony is automatically an Xbox fanboy? Why not Nintendo fanboy or a PC master race shitting on all the peasants?

It's hilarious that MS just raised the price of Xbox live by 25% just this past month and you didn't create this thread before and we certainly know they can afford that but here we are with your calls of anti-consumerism regarding Sony correcting their monthly subscription price.

Because brexit changes would cause MS to lose money, and the currency would lose value, all MS would be doing here is raising it to be even with what the UKs value was before. You're trying to hard. If you disagree than fine but don't try to spin this into a fanboy debate when you don't even read your own articles.

demigod

A perma-ban for Voost would have been excellent. With e3 and a PS5 announcement around the corner, I expect the editorialized trash Voost wastes their time putting together to increase by 5782x.

Mods please don't ban Voost yet.

Ban him an hour before MS conference!

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Because brexit changes would cause MS to lose money, and the currency would lose value, all MS would be doing here is raising it to be even with what the UKs value was before. You're trying to hard. If you disagree than fine but don't try to spin this into a fanboy debate when you don't even read your own articles.
You're right man, arrogant Sony gonna arrogant. Raising prices is a horrific and barbaric practice that will cause them to be destroyed by big daddy pro-consumer MS.

In fact, MS is so pro consumer that they're gonna eventually give everything away for free. You just wait.
They're gonna have a 500 TF console THIS FALL, that is gonna be free and totally decimate Sony's weak-sauce AMD machine.
Gamepass will be FREE!
Live will be FREE!!
GAMES WILL BE FREE!!!!!!!!!

I have never been more proud to drive the Sony Hate Train. Voost Kain is my first mate.

Thank you Voost.

Geki-D

Banned
How's that even possible when MS raised the price of Xbox Live? Whats this thread have to do with Xbox fanboys to begin with? He might just hate Sony without being an Xbox fanboy or is it that everyone that hates Sony is automatically an Xbox fanboy? Why not Nintendo fanboy or a PC master race shitting on all the peasants?
I guess. There's generally a tendance on GAF that people who always shit on Sony also always like every post praising MS.

D

Deleted member 740922

Unconfirmed Member
I could tell who the topic starter was just by the thread title.

cryptoadam

Banned
Well its BS but expected. Sony/MS could raise the price 100%, 200%, 500% and most gamers would keep paying while giving these companies the lube.

And I include myself in that, I would just keep my CC on auto renewal because I want to be able to play BF V or WWZ without having to worry about getting a new subscription.

Paying for online is BS from any company. I would rather Sony took the Nintendo approach and charged as cheap as possible with as bare bones online as possible as long as a I could get into an online match. I dont give an F about "free" games that are years old and no one cares about, or whatever other useless bells and whistles they attach to PS+.

somerset

Say what? No- this is classic service *upgrade*- Sony wants to be more ambitious, and that costs more wonga.

They give you more, they charge you more. The only question is whether the 'more' is worth it or even meets your needs.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Wasn't even mentioned in the OP, did MS piss on your cheerios?
BRO. Did you even ready MY POST?

I am 100% totally in agreement with you and was honored to call you my first mate on Sony Hate train. Is this how you treat those who agree with you?

The Sony arrogance is very real. And we need to be brothers to help big daddy MS achieve their goals of being the first 100% pro-consumer pro-gaming platform.
We can't be fighting like this, my brother.

Airbus Jr

Banned
Voost is back? Wasnt he banned ?

Another provocative thread huh? Arguing about psn price while xbl also increased the subs fee?

Why does most xbox member in this forum is anoying bruh?

And where the hell is Afro? Havent seen him for awhile...

Last edited:
Voost is back? Wasnt he banned ?

Another provocative thread huh? Arguing about psn price while xbl also increased the subs fee?

Why does most xbox member in this forum is anoying bruh?

And where the hell is Afro? Havent seen him for awhile...

People here sure have issues not bringing up MS in a Sony focused thread for some reason.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Sounds anti-consumer to me.

When PS3 was playing catch up to 360, online gaming was free. Sony added an optional PS+ for free games (a ton of them too).

PS3 catches up to 360, and PS4 is already gaining big momemtum due to Xbox One being laughed at. Sony decides to charge for online gaming.

PS4 steamrolls the competition, raises prices and cuts the number of free PS+ games from 5-6 to 2.

Funny how runaway success = claw back on gamer perks

Nothing you described is Sony being anticonsumer. They aren't using their market position to bully you into paying to play online. They announced that before the PS4 even came out.

Them reducing the amount of games and taking the price once again isn't anti consumer. That's the free market. They aren't making deals or persuing anything that actively harms the consumer.

We know Sony has been kind of crazy with anti-consumer practices lately with... Vita cards
You mean Sony ended production of the same handheld (and its physical cartridges) after 6-7 years on the market?

That's not anti-consumer, that's Sony focusing on their strengths, PS4 and PS VR. No one outside of Japan even really cares about the handheld which Sony dropped first-party support for within the first couple years of its release. I'm more surprised that it wasn't discontinued back in 2016/2017 when Sony launched PS VR.

As someone who actually owned a PS Vita and stopped playing it years ago, I'm not at all upset about the news.

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
giphy.gif

my god did you really make an anti-customer Sony thread as soon as your ban was lifted? 😂

Last edited:

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
You mean Sony ended production of the same handheld (and its physical cartridges) after 6-7 years on the market?

That's not anti-consumer, that's Sony focusing on their strengths, PS4 and PS VR. No one outside of Japan even really cares about the handheld which Sony dropped first-party support for within the first couple years of its release. I'm more surprised that it wasn't discontinued back in 2016/2017 when Sony launched PS VR.

As someone who actually owned a PS Vita and stopped playing it years ago, I'm not at all upset about the news.

Nintendo 3DS is still a great portable console and its not death yet, so Yes SONY have the fault.

Airbus Jr

Banned
Nintendo 3DS is still a great portable console and its not death yet, so Yes SONY have the fault.

And why is that? Its basic principle of economy and the law of supply and demand

If your product is not selling and succesfull why bother continue to produce it? they made the right decision

Last edited:

VertigoOA

Banned
I appreciate the functional online, the great store discounts, and honestly when a brand new game costs 60$, even without the legacy games I never was gonna play, the two a month still seem like a great deal to me. And as a gamer who heavily plays no games, it’s nice to have a console service that’s streamlined and has games actually playable running on it (Nintendo lol).

I do think it should be bolstered with a permanent library of ps+ titles that are always available and grow in time.

Last edited:

Airbus Jr

Banned

So if psn priced is increased that means sony is arrogant but if xbl increased its because of brexit?

Im just following your statement here

Last edited:
Top Bottom