• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you think The Pokemon Company should ease up on making new Pokemon and focus on already stablished Pokemon?

levyjl1988

Banned
The Pokemon Company and GameFreak are making a ton of Pokemon.
From 151 in Pokemon Red and Blue and each game increasing the amount and variations, do you feel that The Pokemon Company and GameFreak should just put a stop and simply flesh out the possibilities with the ones they currently have.

On Planet Earth we have a defined amount of animals. Sure there are different and slight variations and evolutionary changes but we haven't gotten extreme changes in a short amount of time. We have a zebra and some genetic mixes but nothing too extreme.
Pokemon is already far-reaching in that it is going past the boundaries of the franchise usually going into Digimon territory which does not give the authentic Pokemon feel. You have Pokemon from other dimensions, sure that makes sense but it goes too far that it might as well go into Marvel territory but then that is what makes the franchise unrelatable.
Like Satoshi going catching bugs that inspired him to create Pokemon you might as well have him catch superhero animals from an alternate dimension or some shit.

I feel that Pokemon should focus and flesh out the qualities and possibilities of the Pokemon that already exists.

You know, give each Legendary a memorable side quest to give each one value, instead of you know, here is a mystery gift, and here is your Shiny Rayquaza, it just feels like an empty experience if you are just given something rare and valuable.

What are your thoughts? Maybe better designs? There is too much filler Pokemon.

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
I just think the games should have dev time because anything post Gen V clearly gets less and less with every release. Also post Gen V every gen has never exceeded more than 100 Pokemon, like 70 on average so they have slowed down.

Series nose dived in quality in the 2D to 3D transition and never recovered but NPCs will eat it up.

I stopped playing Pokemon at Ruby and Sapphire mainly because the formula became stale and looking at things now, the formula is still exactly the same. In terms of the Pokemon themselves, once I heard about Mega Evolutions, I was out completely.

rubhen925

Just make a MMO. Update the MMO regularly. Easy peesy. Yearly games that hardly change the structure of the game is starting to get repetitive and redundant.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
been saying this since like after diamond/pearl. there are just way too many pokemon.

if i were in charge what i'd do is revise each generation to thin them out. get rid of the half assed pokemon. for new generations going forward don't make as many new pokemon. on average there has been ~112 new pokemon each gen. cut it down to 25-50 new pokemon going forward.

focus on 3 types of games in this order: 1) introduces new pokemon/new generation 2) a legacy game that focuses on a previous generation 3) a rotation game that picks <300 pokemon

so for example:

2023 - Gen 9 game with ~25-50 new pokemon
2024 - a "let's go" game or remake that focuses on a previous generation
2025 - "Pokemon Legends" game that has <300 hand selected pokemon.

Last edited:

Codes 208

With legends being a pseudo-prequel to diamond/pearl I don’t think we’re getting new Pokémon so there’s that I suppose.
been saying this since like after diamond/pearl. there are just way too many pokemon.

there are so many trash pokemon that they could easily officially kill a lot of them off to thin the numbers down to ~500. going forward afterwards they should just rotate the focus by generation. if they want to make new pokemon then do that but in other games they should just focus on a certain generation. or even just don't add as many new pokemon with each generation. on average there has been ~112 new pokemon each generation. cut it down to like 30-50 per gen.
This is basically what they did with Sw/Sh and they got a shitload of backlash for not including all the Pokémon at launch.

Bridges

I just think the games should have dev time because anything post Gen V clearly gets less and less with every release. Also post Gen V every gen has never exceeded more than 100 Pokemon, like 70 on average so they have slowed down.

Series nose dived in quality in the 2D to 3D transition and never recovered but NPCs will eat it up.
Gen V was fantastic, everything that came after pales in comparison

They need to focus less on gimmicky new battle mechanics like Mega Evolution, Gigantimax and Z-types. The battle system works fine and doesn't need a change up every game, it's everything outside of the battles that needs to be reworked.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
With legends being a pseudo-prequel to diamond/pearl I don’t think we’re getting new Pokémon so there’s that I suppose.

This is basically what they did with Sw/Sh and they got a shitload of backlash for not including all the Pokémon at launch.
yeah. well i've updated my post anyway.

Whitecrow

Banned
I think that pokémon should be given to better and more hardworking and ambitious devs.
The IP is too big to such lazy developers, and there's so much potential being wasted that it hurts.

Kataploom

Gold Member
Yes please... When 7th gen came out I was like... "What? this soon?". I think they're relaying too much on quantity of novelty with new pokemons which is acting on their detriment, considering the problems they've found to model, animate, implement, test, and whatnot all the already existent pokemon into SwSh

Saber

Gold Member
Why would Pokemon Company care to deliver a better experience when they can deliver a trash and people accept it as a thing?

Nothing wrong with what people do with their money. But trash is still trash.

They ain't doing this because they don't have the budget. They are doing this probably because they don't see a reason to. Remember the whole lying fiasco? Look and see if people care, their games sell regardless of actions.

The next stop is bringing microtransactions to main pokemon games.

Areiz

Banned
The Pokemon Company and GameFreak are making a ton of Pokemon.
From 151 in Pokemon Red and Blue and each game increasing the amount and variations, do you feel that The Pokemon Company and GameFreak should just put a stop and simply flesh out the possibilities with the ones they currently have.

On Planet Earth we have a defined amount of animals. Sure there are different and slight variations and evolutionary changes but we haven't gotten extreme changes in a short amount of time. We have a zebra and some genetic mixes but nothing too extreme.
Pokemon is already far-reaching in that it is going past the boundaries of the franchise usually going into Digimon territory which does not give the authentic Pokemon feel. You have Pokemon from other dimensions, sure that makes sense but it goes too far that it might as well go into Marvel territory but then that is what makes the franchise unrelatable.
Like Satoshi going catching bugs that inspired him to create Pokemon you might as well have him catch superhero animals from an alternate dimension or some shit.

I feel that Pokemon should focus and flesh out the qualities and possibilities of the Pokemon that already exists.

You know, give each Legendary a memorable side quest to give each one value, instead of you know, here is a mystery gift, and here is your Shiny Rayquaza, it just feels like an empty experience if you are just given something rare and valuable.

What are your thoughts? Maybe better designs? There is too much filler Pokemon.
I think that they should improve their experience and use the Unreal Engine 4 as a first thing. Than they should assume some new creative talent for new stories and Pokémon design

Top Bottom