• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you think this Generation could be considered the most "Godless" Generation?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What I mean by that is, just the Generation that has the most un-believers of any type of God. Look at what life was like back in the 50s and 60s; Just about EVERYONE believed in A God. Yet now it seems it's getting quite scarce. NOTE: I'm not bashing you if you don't (I don't:)), but just stating something that I've noticed.

No, it's just that people are more vocal about it now. And intolerance of people's religions (or lack) is quickly becoming well...not tolerated.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
The late 18th century wasn't very religious either relatively speaking, but the great revivals in the early 19th century changed that.

Dilbert

Synbios459 said:
What I mean by that is, just the Generation that has the most un-believers of any type of God. Look at what life was like back in the 50s and 60s; Just about EVERYONE believed in A God. Yet now it seems it's getting quite scarce. NOTE: I'm not bashing you if you don't (I don't:)), but just stating something that I've noticed.
Why don't you go get some data to back up your claim, and then we'll talk?

(By the way -- even though some data would be nice, you also have to realize that surveys only measure what people are willing to say, and not necessarily what they really BELIEVE.)

Phoenix

Synbios459 said:

I'm not even sure how you've formed this hypothesis. On what are you basing this 'God-lessness" on?

Synbios459 said:

we're a lot better off now than we were in the 50s and 60s, so i consider it a good thing.

Suranga3

Well, in Canada, yes. Yesterday, I was watching cbc news when they did a newpiece on the differences between canadians and americans, they reveiled that some 30-40 years ago, 50% of canadians regularly attending church/temple/mosque etc. where as now, only 20% of the population go. In the US, its still around 50%, and now its apparently climbing.

Phoenix

Suranga3 said:
Well, in Canada, yes. Yesterday, I was watching cbc news when they did a newpiece on the differences between canadians and americans, they reveiled that some 30-40 years ago, 50% of canadians regularly attending church/temple/mosque etc. where as now, only 20% of the population go. In the US, its still around 50%, and now its apparently climbing.

That would be a poor case too though. Many people who believe in God don't go to church.

The reason I believe this is just because of how society is now a days. Back then, you never had to worrry about things such as gang violence, sex before marriage, STDs, kids respected their elders ALOT more, etc. Although I have heard that Canada is the most un-religious nation in the world.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Fusebox said:
Not the most 'godless', the most rational and intelligent.
Sorry, but no.

The reason I believe this is just because of how society is now a days. Back then, you never had to worrry about things such as gang violence, sex before marriage, STDs, kids respected their elders ALOT more, etc. Although I have heard that Canada is the most un-religious nation in the world.
Selective memory.

Dilbert

Synbios459 said:
Ummm...bullshit.

Again, go get some numbers and sources to back up your claim, or this thread isn't going to last very long.

Dilbert

Synbios459 said:
How is it BS? Do you deny that things in society such as violence has escalated to uncontrolable levels?
I deny that you've provided ANY evidence for your claims whatsoever.

Chipopo

Banned
Synbios459 said:

Laughing(640).jpg

...oy...

Minotauro

Finds Purchase on Dog Nutz
Synbios459 said:
Back then, you never had to worrry about things such as gang violence, sex before marriage, STDs, kids respected their elders ALOT more, etc.

Man, our generation is so much more fun. Give me any of those things over shit like the typical "Leave It To Beaver" family most conservative Christians seem to want.

border

Synbios459 said:
you never had to worrry about things such as gang violence, sex before marriage, STDs, kids respected their elders ALOT more, etc
Yes, life was exactly like it was on 50's sitcoms.

Where are you getting this information from?

you ran 'godless generation' through google and posted the first two results? That's a well-honed argument strategy.
:lol :lol :lol

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Fusebox said:
Excellent rebuttal, how could I ever begin to dissect it?

Burning bushes? Walking on water? Wake up to yourselves people.
Ok, first of all, intelligence is an inherited trait that hasn't changed much in thousands of years. Lack of proper nutrition can inhibit intelligence, but I don't think that's what you're talking about. Second, if you're talking in terms of American history then it's not by much. Science illiteracy still dominates society, and many many people today are into psychics, UFOs, conspiracies, etc. If you're talking in terms of human history, then yes, but again not by terribly much... human nature is highly superstitious.

Fusebox

Banned
Hitokage said:
intelligence is an inherited trait that hasn't changed much in thousands of years.

Lol, okay - look, this is probably some semantics thing and you're gonna harp on about the proper usage of the word, so scrabble squabbles aside I'll say this: our generation has greater access to more information which has been researched further and better which then expands our knowledge more so than any previous generation has had the opportunity to expand their knowledge ie the world is round not flat, bushes don't talk, people don't walk on water, virgins don't push out toddlers - you know, facts like this that any intelligent person now takes for granted.

Hitokage said:
Second, if you're talking in terms of American history

Only Americans do that.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Lol, okay - look, this is probably some semantics thing and you're gonna harp on about the proper usage of the word, so scrabble squabbles aside I'll say this: our generation has greater access to more information which has been researched further and better which then expands our knowledge more so than any previous generation has had the opportunity to expand their knowledge ie the world is round not flat, bushes don't talk, people don't walk on water, virgins don't push out toddlers - you know, facts like this that any intelligent person now takes for granted.
The distinction between intelligence and education is hardly petty semantics, and you should visit Utah sometime.

If you wanted to say we are the most informed generation, then yes, BY FAR we are indeed the most informed generation in human history.

Dilbert

Fusebox said:
"Intelligent" is not the same thing as "knowledgable."

And yes, when people use words which either don't communicate what they mean to say, or attempt to hide the fact that they have nothing to say at all...it's a "semantic thing."

With substantially less poverty and moreso than ever, an emphasis on educating the masses (as well as the means to do so), I'd say it's a safe bet that the average citizen in the western world is more intelligent than any generation prior. Education with respect to development of the mind, not the knowledge learned.

The most "godless"? Seems unlikely. In particular countries, it may be the case, but on average, not likely.

way more

border said:
If this is not the most rational and intelligent generation of Americans, then which one was?
Do you know how many people believe in angels? Honest to God angels. It's like 80%, USA Today does the poll like every year. And ghosts, heaven, and aliens. Yet Leprechauns and zombies remain outside the mainstream?

way more

We've seen great advances in science but your average American can't explain how a lightbulb works. Or try asking someone the difference between a molecule and an atom. We fall behind the rest of the world when it comes to education concerning math and science.

NLB2

Banned
mac said:
We've seen great advances in science but your average American can't explain how a lightbulb works. Or try asking someone the difference between a molecule and an atom. We fall behind the rest of the world when it comes to education concerning math and science.
I'd like to see were you got the facts.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
Fusebox said:
Only Americans do that.
This whole topic is about America. Don't deny it. Besides, you're right....I've never heard an American talk about world history.

border

mac said:
Do you know how many people believe in angels? Honest to God angels. It's like 80%, USA Today does the poll like every year.
I seriously doubt that it's that high.

But yeah, okay, so which American generation was smarter? Keeping in mind that over half the population (women + blacks) was denied higher education for most of our history, it would have to be some time from maybe the 1950's onward. Which basically makes it a choice between Baby Boomers and Generation X.

firex

NLB2 said:
I'd like to see were you got the facts.
Well, it does seem like in most standings (conducted by the UN at least) that the USA ranks relatively low for developed nations in regards to math/science education. Unfortunately I'm too much of a lazy ass (another stereotypical american trait) to find these statistics exactly, but I know I've seen them published before.

XS+

Banned
The more educated you are, the less likely you are to believe in the myth of god. Unfortunately, the preponderance of ignorance that our nation suffers lends much to its inability to divorce that myth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom