• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you think this Generation could be considered the most "Godless" Generation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lara

-jinx- said:
I think there is a big difference between asking the question, "Do you think this is the most godless generation?" and seeking people's opinions...versus asking the question in the title of your post, and them making the claim that in fact this IS the most godless generation. The original poster clearly has a position on the answer, as evidenced in his later posts.

As you point out, it's a BIG claim, and finding evidence to back it up IS a big job. The easy way to avoid this is to either a) limit the scope of your theory to what you can prove or b) pose the question without an answer at the same time.

Finally, on the "data" front -- as far as I'm concerned, if something cannot be measured, you don't have very much to discuss since it's all going to boil down to "perceptions," which are all valid on their face, but not comparable. Certainly, there are plenty of historical situations where numerical data would be very hard to come by. (Exact number of deaths due to the Black Death, anyone?) However, he was comparing the 1950s to the present-day...and I suspect that some kind of data would be available.

Are you a scientist? Your fixation with numerical data suggests as much; what's more, it's exceptionally foolish.

There is plenty of non-numerical evidence which is susceptible to rigorous assessment and analysis. To suggest that, in the absence of numerical data, 'you don't have very much to discuss since it's all going to boil down to "perceptions"' is (if I may say so) a pretty miserable understanding of how to determine what people believe. Historians studying the extent to which the French Revolution in 1789 was a popular movement usually don't rely on numerical data concerning people's views/knowledge of the Revolution; and they don't abandon the question entirely given a lack of such data.

And in any case, were numerical data available, historians would rightly question their accuracy and usefulness.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that proof (or at least evidence) of whether belief in a deity or deities has declined since the 1950s need not rely on numerical data at all. I would admit, however, that Synbios459's subsequent justifications have been slightly shit.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
For things that don't lend themselves to being numerically quantified, sure, but we're talking about the percentage of people believing this or that as well as rates of violence, sex, etc.

Dilbert

Lara said:
Are you a scientist? Your fixation with numerical data suggests as much; what's more, it's exceptionally foolish.
As it turns out...yeah, I am.

I completely agree that there are plenty of things which are not quantifiable. "How much do you love me?" is a nice example -- if someone responds to that question with "57%," then something is desperately wrong with that relationship. (I mean, you can get an additional 10% just by buying flowers...the guy must be lazy!) On the other hand, I strongly believe that making meaningful comparisons almost always involves metrics.

Let's say that I go on a diet with the intent of losing weight. If someone asks me, "How is your diet going?", how should I answer? To say that it's going well means that I'm losing weight...which is something I can measure and compare to my goals. How can I say that it's going well if I've gained ten pounds?

Now, let's say that the goal of my diet is to change the KINDS of food I'm eating, rather than to lose weight. It would appear that this could be a situation in which numerical analysis doesn't make sense...but is that true? Couldn't you express that kind of diet by saying, "I have identified certain kinds of food that I don't want to eat as much?" Wouldn't you be able to demonstrate success (or failure) by comparing the percentage of those foods in your diet, before and after you started?

There is plenty of non-numerical evidence which is susceptible to rigorous assessment and analysis. To suggest that, in the absence of numerical data, 'you don't have very much to discuss since it's all going to boil down to "perceptions"' is (if I may say so) a pretty miserable understanding of how to determine what people believe. Historians studying the extent to which the French Revolution in 1789 was a popular movement usually don't rely on numerical data concerning people's views/knowledge of the Revolution; and they don't abandon the question entirely given a lack of such data.[/quote
Let's be clear -- I wasn't arguing that only numerical data was useful, but rather that certain kinds of analysis HAVE to rely on something quantitative to have any meaning. Let's use your example. Clearly, each individual during that time had an opinion based on their perceptions of the political and cultural climate, and for us to know about it now, that opinion must have been recorded in some way -- letters, journals, public records, etc. -- which made it clear whether or not they thought the French Revolution was a Good Thing. So, on what grounds can you say that the movement was "popular?" Doesn't that very concept imply that you can show that a majority of the people (or a representative sample thereof, or at least a sample of known opinions) believe that it was good? If not, what does it mean to be "popular?"

From a later reply:

How do we know what people actually believe?

Well, that's a good question. If you think the answer is that we can't know...then how can anyone make a supportable hypothesis about what society believes?

Concerning the post about 'two plus two equals four' being a question of belief in a system of instruction, as opposed to a logical and deductible construct ...

I have to say, ridiculous as one might be tempted to make it sound, it does hold water. A religious person might say (or almost should say, or be entitled to say) that belief in God is an equally logical proposition as the simple calculation above. After all, the same mind could behold both notions and ascribe each the same weight. And in either case, although someone with the relevant gifts might deduce the true state of affairs for themselves, in the vast majority of cases, patient and well-versed tutelage is an absolute must, if the individual is to be equipped with a firm understanding of what is meant. Most people will need instruction, if they are to become practicing mathematicians; equally most people will need guidance, if they are to lead morally dignified lives.

OK, so ... the comment above will have people thinking I'm a rabid Christian, with an agenda to push THE TRUTH AS WE WANT IT ... and I am no such man. I simply want to weaken the supposition that, because a cognition concerns ones moral role in the universe, it is in some way different - weaker, unworthy, more base - than another idea concerning practical, physical truths such as addition. To argue, in other words, for the recognition that to some minds, a religious faith will bring the world into the same pleasing order as the enlightenment of science does to others.

This is a difficult thing to suggest, because in either case, the science crowd and the faith crowd see a comparision or equation between the two as being demeaning to their own brand of understanding. Please though, have some patience with what I have to say. Each of these positions has an effectively equivalent value, in that, albeit on completely different wavelengths, they both allow ones position in the flux of existence to be calculated, and therefore both provide the framework for our explorations and adventures within (and without) the world.

All I am really saying is that they both provide the comfort of a worldview, they are both ready-built whether we want them to be or not (and whether we are prepared to challenge them or not), and that despite their both having completely different, if not actually opposing, foundations, they are both identical at least in the function of providing a framework for human existence. To this end, I propose that they are different tips of the same iceberg, and counsel fervently against dismissing the one because it fits ill with the other.

I don't think any idea is actually finished yet, whether mathematical or spiritual, and in fact my own faith is in an existence so vibrant, manifold, and divine as to be founded on whichever cosmic principle manages to expose both views and more in the one breath.

Is this mundane enough for anyone yet? ^_^ As big fat STFUs go, I am far too much the politician ...

Lara

-jinx- said:
As it turns out...yeah, I am.

I completely agree that there are plenty of things which are not quantifiable. "How much do you love me?" is a nice example -- if someone responds to that question with "57%," then something is desperately wrong with that relationship. (I mean, you can get an additional 10% just by buying flowers...the guy must be lazy!) On the other hand, I strongly believe that making meaningful comparisons almost always involves metrics.

Let's say that I go on a diet with the intent of losing weight. If someone asks me, "How is your diet going?", how should I answer? To say that it's going well means that I'm losing weight...which is something I can measure and compare to my goals. How can I say that it's going well if I've gained ten pounds?

Now, let's say that the goal of my diet is to change the KINDS of food I'm eating, rather than to lose weight. It would appear that this could be a situation in which numerical analysis doesn't make sense...but is that true? Couldn't you express that kind of diet by saying, "I have identified certain kinds of food that I don't want to eat as much?" Wouldn't you be able to demonstrate success (or failure) by comparing the percentage of those foods in your diet, before and after you started?

I must confess that I'm not sure how this is relevant to what we're discussing. Certainly, the example that you give would seem to be a perfectly legitimate use of numerical data. But it's legitimate because it is a matter of 'fact'. Determining the percentages of foods in one's diet is a factual and certain exercise.

Belief, by contrast, is not factual and certain in this way. What's more, as you have already pointed out, what people may say (e.g., in a survey) may not necessarily correspond with what they actually believe. To take another angle: If I were to count the number of churches in two separate areas, would it safe to conclude that the area with the higher density of churches contained people who were more religious?

Quantification has its limits. If we wish to understand what people believe, we have to go much further. A qualitative analysis of practices, habits, customs, etc. would generate evidence about what people actually believe - based on what they do - as opposed to what they say they believe. The crucial implication, of course, is that belief requires some form of 'action' for it to be taken to exist. There may be flaws to this argument, but for me it's the most sensible approach.

That's why I'm so sceptical of surveys - precisely because they are entirely subjective. To put the problem into stark relief: A survey which simply asks, 'Do you possess an above-average intelligence?' would probably find more than 50% of respondents answering in the affirmative.

Well, that's a good question. If you think the answer is that we can't know...then how can anyone make a supportable hypothesis about what society believes?

I think I've answered most of your question above. Nonetheless, it is worth making the distinction between certain knowledge of what a person believes - which is infeasible - and likely/inferred knowledge.

I think if you study history you'd see that religious beliefs in various different religions and regions of the world have waned before.

I think most people believe in some form of "spirtualness", but I think the literal interpretation of many religion's is losing ground (not just Christainity) as the world evolves and our understanding of the universe increases.

Think about it, for our parents the moon landing was the "big event". For us or our kids it could be the discovery that life existed on Mars for example (which NASA is really gung ho about and seems relatively probable).

That has to raise even further questions about the nature of the universe as a whole and our perception of it.

In every society there's always the "nostalgics" that fear change and long for the "good ol' glory days". Don't think you're unique or special in that categorey, believe me ancient Rome had them, so did Greece, so did Egypt, etc. etc. etc. We have them now in America longing for the days of the 1950s when women baked cookies all day and kids were of the "gee golly shucks!" whitebred type.

pnjtony

wow...50% of the country must be atheist if only atheists voted for Kerry. I know I'm atheist, but I think the official count in the US is only like 7 to 10% are athesit

Synbios459 said:
The reason I believe this is just because of how society is now a days. Back then, you never had to worrry about things such as gang violence

lynching_2.gif

Looks like this gang did a pretty good job of violence to me. Now then would you like to go to the gooder old days?

Synbios459 said:
The reason I believe this is just because of how society is now a days. Back then, you never had to worrry about things such a STDs.

Entire tribes of indgenous Americans were wiped out by syphillis when the Conquistadors came to town.

Synbios459 said:
Although I have heard that Canada is the most un-religious nation in the world
Have you been overcome by some virus that retards common sense? If I worship satan that makes me religious you clown. Define religious.

I think your avatar fits you. Mouth constantly running but isn't saying anything.

*looks at Lara's post* where are you guys getting the Jr. Members from?

Tommie Hu$tle said:
Entire tribes of indgenous Americans were wiped out by syphillis when the Crusaders came to town.
Ironically, syphyillis may have originated from the Americas and then spread elsewhere. I dunno about the Crusaders part though. =P

SSGMUN10000

Connoisseur Of Tedium
Here is something I have to say to non believers and science on why I do believe in God. I have seen miracles happen and I have seen people possesed. I have witnessed things that science will never be able to explain to me. I havent gone to church much in the past few years but I believe a 100% God.

Hammy said:
Ironically, syphyillis may have originated from the Americas and then spread elsewhere. I dunno about the Crusaders part though. =P

This may be true but, how was it spread my friend, through unprotected sex and I'm quite sure that these people weren't married either. But I guess that doesn't count because you can't marry a savage.

Tommie Hu$tle said:
This may be true but, how was it spread my friend, through unprotected sex and I'm quite sure that these people weren't married either. But I guess that doesn't count because you can't marry a savage.

but Pocahontas married John Smith (no, it's the other guy-- the movie screwed with my mind)

ok, now I'm grasping at straws :D

SSGMUN10000 said:
Im referring to the stuff I have seen.

Yeah ... I think everyone got that part
SSGMUN10000 said:
Here is something I have to say to non believers and science on why I do believe in God. I have seen miracles happen and I have seen people possesed. I have witnessed things that science will never be able to explain to me. I havent gone to church much in the past few years but I believe a 100% God.

So tell me, if you lived a thousand years ago, would you hvae thought a falling meteor was a "FIREY KILL ROCK FROM TEH GODS!1111," or that a person really drunk and stoned was possesed by demons from the darkest depths of Hades?

Hammy said:
but Pocahontas married John Smith (no, it's the other guy-- the movie screwed with my mind)

ok, now I'm grasping at straws :D

Actually she was married twice. Once to some Indian guy, then later to John Rolfe in 1614, after being renamed Rebecca and being baptized. She died in 1617 of Pneumonia. What's my point? No point, I'm just bored.

nbc.jpg

border

Please lock thread before the jerkoff threadstarter's goal has been accomplished from beyond the grave and the cycle of idiocy begins anew.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom