• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Doctor Sleep" - sequel to "The Shining" - Trailers

not sure dude, only ever saw the movie like a million times, tried to read the book in 5th grade but stopped somewhere around the 3rd chapter
Yeah.. somehow when i hear that Stephen King hates Kubrick's film, and know the kind of sort out of B-Level films he tends to sanction (i love Salem's Lot but it's hardly The Shining is it) i feel little drive to digest his version of the story. Which is pretty much the opposite of how i would feel about any other of his books.

Last edited:

TrainedRage

Banned
I was pleasantly surprised. I had no interest after seeing a trailer for it during Joker. Rented it the other day and liked it quite a bit more than I would have expected.

it was really violent and didn’t pull any punches. I thought it flowed well from beginning to end. Loved revisiting the overlook and the ought the acting was well done.

Ragnarok

I can't believe people like this garbage.

It was never going to live up to The Shining, but it was terrible even as a standalone work. It didn't even try to replicate the tension that made the first movie so fantastic. Instead, it relied on cheap, cheesy "scares".

The villain was so goddamned bad. Not scary at all. And wore a ridiculous fucking hat the entire time. And a fucking gun fight? Definitely what a Shining movie needed.

People in the theater I went to were laughing during the showdown scenes. It was terrible. And the ending! God, the ending was the worst part. Classic "hey let's reference the first movie as much as possible with no thought given. Just cram everything in there!"

Fucking travesty of a movie that should have never been made. Felt bad for Ewan Mcgregor.

I saw it like a week, week and a half ago.

Great movie. It shines (no pun intended) brighter though before the big tie with the original film.

I know who can track me down and devour my shining whenever she is hungry...

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
When that girl told the guy to kill himself while she was being dusted....

I was like damn. That dude was cool.

I hated that chick. I get that she probably had trauma but her hatred of men was way out there! Especially since she was actively trying to kill the little girl.

MrMephistoX

Saw it yesterday it was good but I could have done without the baseball boy scene 🤢 Shit hit too close to home because that literally happened to some kids on my school bus in first grade in Reno NV. Never heard from again and discovered months later mutilated in a shallow grave...I was literally on the same bus the day it happened.

Last edited:

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Saw it yesterday it was good but I could have done without the baseball boy scene 🤢 Shit hit too close to home because that literally happened to some kids on my school bus in first grade in Reno NV. Never heard from again and discovered months later mutilated in a shallow grave...I was literally on the same bus the day it happened.

Dang. I'm sorry.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Thanks lol and people wonder why I don’t let my 7 year old just walk to school or ride the bus. Nooope!
We didn't let our son ride a bus (technically a van) until we vetted the adults on it. Those were the happiest days. He's 19 now so... *Sigh*

Finally just watched the directors cut

it’s great, fleshes out aspect that needed being fleshed out (more conversation with Dick, more time in hospital, longer bar scene, more Rose the Hat many more)

love this movie

Give Flanagan more Stephen King projects

Last edited:
that is one movie I could never get into

just remember a skinny lady yelling and a little boy on a 3 wheeler

did not know it had a Lore that deep

ManaByte

Gold Member
Just watched this. Awesome sequel to The Shining that walks the tightrope between the book and Kubrick well.

Watched the theatrical cut, but I'll sit down and watch the three-hour director's cut soon. Really liked it.

Top Bottom