• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doctor Strange Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

icespide

Banned
Dafoe makes SM1 for me, I honestly never liked SM2 as much.

My local cinema isn't putting times for any movies up this week for some reason, maybe their IT guy is on strike. It's supposed to be out Thursday. My GF wants to see this hella bad. Bloody Benzedrine Cucumber.
Buttercup Crinklefry

sammex

Buttercup Crinklefry

benadryl-syrup.jpg
s-l225.jpg

(Benadryl Cummerbund)

Doctor Fate?
With JL Dark being a thing, it seems unlikely we'll get a Zatanna solo.

JL dark is fine as long as Zatanna is prominent.
Dr Fate needs to be in it or a sequel though.

Though my suggestion with that gif is more about using Dr Fate the way Young Justice did with the helmet around and someone uses it in an emergency(like Zatanna/Wally)

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Already have my Imax 3D tickets for next Thurs. Glad to see it's getting good reviews, should be a fun time.

As for Spider-Man 2, I didn't even know it was so highly regarded by some until I started seeing people mention it on GAF. I saw it when it came out and it left almost no impression on me. Haven't wanted to watch it since despite owning it on Blu-ray. Then again I hated Tobey and Kirsten Dunst in their roles. Never saw SM3 which I also own LOL.

It's not just GAF, it was pretty unanimously loved when it came out and the reviews are great too, 93% RT with over 250 reviews. Pretty sure Ebert 4 starred it too.

Just saying!

I can not even begin to describe how happy I am that the visuals of the film at least partially live up to Ditko's art.

I got to inherit my Dr Strange love (pun alert) from my pops, who was something of a Marvel hipster for his time (loved Dr Strange, the Inhumans, old school Fantastic Four, wtc). Used to love flipping through those old comics as a kid and just trying to figure out how those wild visuals would even look in real life. Super stoked to see even just a hint of that.

Also really excited to hear that Eggs Benedict w/ Cucumber Salad does a good job as Strange. I know the Marvel casting game is strong af, but he would not exactly have been my top pick. Glad to see I worried for nothing.

a916

It's annoying that people treat art like math in the first place. Get off these numbers and averages and pay more attention to what's actually being said.

It is, sadly that how's movies are critiqued. Boiled down to a single number. I much rather avoid all the written blurbs and go in with an open mind. Then go back and read the reviews. So I can form my own opinion and then be open to discussing it.

They managed to have the best villain this year with Zemo at least. Though that isn't saying much since he wasn't all that great either.

He's had no competition. Hell Apocalypse wasn't good movie, but at least parts of his protrayal were cool... I'd let him back into the W. Or whoever is the main baddy in Rogue One.

Litan

So, I just spoiled myself to the ending. Sounds pretty good. With Antman, CW and now this, Marvel are definitely listening to the complaints people have had with a lot of their 3rds acts. Hope it continues with the rest of phase 3.

So, I just spoiled myself to the ending. Sounds pretty good. With Antman, CW and now this, Marvel are definitely listening to the complaints people have had with a lot of their 3rds acts. Hope it continues with the rest of phase 3.

PM me a link fam. I'm thisrty.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.

PM pls, I dont give a fuck about spoilers

fr0st

Banned
Pm spoilers pls

Moonkid

I was apprehensive after the way they handled the casting, but after the director's latest remarks I can't support Marvel with this movie.
I'm a bit uneasy about it too, but I think I'll end up watching it and yarning with my friends on the matter. I have a designated 'super-hero movie' group and I know they're gonna watch it one way or another so at least I can engage in some discussion with them after having seen the movie c:

jurgen

I'm going to a screening for this tomorrow night. It'll be interesting. Marvel's always been a little shaky in my opinion when it comes to magic/mystical/supernatural stuff.

Moonkid

Scott Derrickson? What did he say?
Scott Derrickson said:
“I think diversity is the responsibility of directors and producers,” Derrickson told Variety. “In this case, the stereotype of [the Ancient One] had to be undone. I wanted it to be a woman, a middle-aged woman. Every iteration of that script played by an Asian woman felt like a ‘Dragon Lady,'” Derrickson explained, referencing another negative on-screen stereotype of an exotic and domineering Asian woman. “I’m very sensitive to the history of ‘Dragon Lady’ representation and Anna May Wong films. I moved away from that. Who’s the magical, mystical, woman with secrets that could work in this role? I thought Tilda Swinton.”
Good intentions maybe, but it's still pathetic they couldn't come up with a nuanced, middle-aged Asian women character. Maybe if they had an Asian writer... *eyeroll*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom