• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doctor Who Series 2011 |OT| Wibbly Wobbly Timey Wimey Stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.
stupei said:
New promo pictures were released yesterday which slightly spoil the title of the premier episode. I made an a new avatar
which includes the astronaut's helmet
but wanted to check for a consensus on whether or not that's too spoilery and should be left until the episode airs.

What's reflected in the helmet?

The picture of the
Silents
is starting to hit everywhere and he's on the cover of the Radio Times. He/she also appeared in the trailer. I personally don't see it as much of a problem.

stupei said:
New promo pictures were released yesterday which slightly spoil the title of the premier episode. I made an a new avatar
but wanted to check for a consensus on whether or not that's too spoilery and should be left until the episode airs.

No problem with me. At this point I don't see many people not knowing about it.

judhudson

stupei said:

I don't think the astronaut helmet avatar matters. I mean
once people see it and look away, they'll just forget about it

stupei

DoctorWho said:
What's reflected in the helmet?

The picture of the
Silents
is starting to hit everywhere and he's on the cover of the Radio Times. He/she also appeared in the trailer. I personally don't see it as much of a problem.

It's just
the Doctor, Amy and Rory reflected in the helmet,
but since the actual title of the episode was still spoilered in the OP I wasn't sure if we were considering the
astronaut itself
a spoiler.

But good to know you're all cool with it. Just wanted to be sure it wasn't likely to ruin anyone's day in case people were going on a complete media blackout.

Are those pictures of you know who's from season 5 hosted anywhere else? I have to have an account with galifrey base apperently to follow those links last page.

DoctorWho said:
Bah. People are freaking out over shadows and continuity errors. I bet only one or two of those has genuine connection to stuff going on this season.

I agree. I think it is just like the second Doctor last season. As soon as they thought there was one they were supposedly seeing him every where. I'd say maybe a couple of the reactions could be true, but that's about it. The fun is all in the speculation though.

Yeah, everything aside from Amy's TARDIS freakouts are just continuity errors. Lighting and sets are fiddled with enough during shooting to make shit like this happen.

ultron87

Green Scar said:
Yeah, everything aside from Amy's TARDIS freakouts are just continuity errors. Lighting and sets are fiddled with enough during shooting to make shit like this happen.

The only one of those
I'd even count is the one from the Eleventh Hour. The Lodger ones just look like she is reacting a little too strongly to what the Doctor is saying.

stupei

DoctorWho said:
Bah. People are freaking out over shadows and continuity errors. I bet only one or two of those has genuine connection to stuff going on this season.

Yeah, I think the shadows are just people reaching but the
reactions from the actors
are more likely to be legit. Can't watch more than just a bit of the videos so far, though. Stupid work.

ultron87 said:
The only one of those
I'd even count is the one from the Eleventh Hour. The Lodger ones just look like she is reacting a little too strongly to what the Doctor is saying.

Yeah, her
reactions are super weird during that bit in the Lodger. I guess we'll find out whether or not the Silents ARE in every episode after the premier airs.

Did we ever get a confirmation on whether or not both episodes of the first story will air over the Easter weekend?

stupei said:
But, to elaborate just a little on your first point: (from the early screening)
the idea is put forth that the Silence have been here much longer than we could possibly guess, nudging humanity down a certain path without our being able to remember it.

So I guess we can add
The Silence
to the list:

Racnoss - created Earth when their ship needed to hide.
Jaggaroth - created life on Earth when their ship exploded. Also, last survivor manipulated humanity throughout history so he could try to save his people.
Fendahl - manipulated humanity throughout history to try and resurrect themselves after the Time Lords exploded their planet.

Any others?

TheGorlok

Neo Member
I don't know if I believe all of the
supposed Silent sightings, but Amy's reactions in The Eleventh Hour and The Lodger are blowing my mind. I never noticed them before, but I guess that's the brilliance of Mr. Moffat.
I cannot wait for Easter weekend. I get more and more excited each day.

survivor

Banned
Regarding the current speculations and spoilers I really like this post from Gallifrey Base. I know it's just a crazy fan speculation, but I still like the idea a lot.

Ugh, those
silence "findings"
where the most disappointing thing i have seen in a long time. From initial descriptions, i had built up something much much more meaningful in my head.

Sheppard

survivor said:
Regarding the current speculations and spoilers I really like this post from Gallifrey Base. I know it's just a crazy fan speculation, but I still like the idea a lot.

Not to bad. I like it.

On a side note, I love this time of year to watch Gallifrey base Blow up like this. It is fun to watch. So much out of control over there.

survivor

Banned
PhoncipleBone said:
Link that does not require registering?
I will just post it here. Gonna spoiler it to be safe. I just thought most people here would be members there so I just posted a link.

I just had a very chilling thought...

Reading about the sightings of the Tardis door opening and closing in both VoV and TPO it made me think...we have already seen the door open on it's own...when the Doctor clicks his fingers.

At the end of TEH he clicks his fingers to open the door to impress Amy. Soon after that we get Amy seemingly freaking out at seeing something in the Tardis before turning back to the Doctor acting as normal (as well as some controls maybe being messed with during the Doctor's speech). If we're going off the theory that this is Amy seeing a Silent in the Tardis well...what if, when the Doctor clicks his fingers, it's the Silent that opens the door? A creepy thought, eh?

Of course, the 10th Doctor does this at the end of the Silence In The Library 2-parter.What if a Silent opened the door then too, that this episode is when they enter the Tardis? Who tells him about snapping his fingers to open the door? River. What if River was trying to give him a clue about the Silents/Silence by telling him that? After all, it does seem too strange and OTT a 'power' for him to have, opening the door in that way. The idea that someone...something opens the door from inside...now who's gonna have nightmares!?

G-Fex

I'm seeing commercials for Doctor Who on other channels.

I'm sure a collective of people are going "WTF is Doctor Who?"

survivor said:
I will just post it here. Gonna spoiler it to be safe. I just thought most people here would be members there so I just posted a link.

I just had a very chilling thought...

Reading about the sightings of the Tardis door opening and closing in both VoV and TPO it made me think...we have already seen the door open on it's own...when the Doctor clicks his fingers.

At the end of TEH he clicks his fingers to open the door to impress Amy. Soon after that we get Amy seemingly freaking out at seeing something in the Tardis before turning back to the Doctor acting as normal (as well as some controls maybe being messed with during the Doctor's speech). If we're going off the theory that this is Amy seeing a Silent in the Tardis well...what if, when the Doctor clicks his fingers, it's the Silent that opens the door? A creepy thought, eh?

Of course, the 10th Doctor does this at the end of the Silence In The Library 2-parter.What if a Silent opened the door then too, that this episode is when they enter the Tardis? Who tells him about snapping his fingers to open the door? River. What if River was trying to give him a clue about the Silents/Silence by telling him that? After all, it does seem too strange and OTT a 'power' for him to have, opening the door in that way. The idea that someone...something opens the door from inside...now who's gonna have nightmares!?
Wow, that is really freaky to think about that now. *nightmares*

RetroMG

DoctorWho said:
Wait, people hate River?

What!?

I didn't like her back when she first showed up in SitL/FotD. She's grown on me since then. I really hope they have a killer explanation for who she is, though.

Also, I find it very funny that Netflix has bundled series 1-4 under one entry. but given it the cover for series 5.

Big Papa Husker said:
Wow, that is really freaky to think about that now. *nightmares*

I like the theory but
Why would they open the doors when he snaps? It just doesn't make much sense that these guys are trying to hide, yet they would do something for no reason.

RepairmanJack said:
I like the theory but
Why would they open the doors when he snaps? It just doesn't make much sense that these guys are trying to hide, yet they would do something for no reason.

Yeah, the whole idea seems to be based on a rather silly concept.

Are they his
doormen
?

RetroGamer42 said:
I didn't like her back when she first showed up in SitL/FotD. She's grown on me since then. I really hope they have a killer explanation for who she is, though.

Yeah, the revelation needs to be totally boss. I'd also like either The Doctor, Amy or Rory to sneak a peak into her diary.

Most of the clue searching seems to be looking for something that isn't there. At least to me. I am curious to see what the explanation is for this all, but much of it seems like people are REALLY stretching.

DoctorWho said:
Yeah, the whole idea seems to be based on a rather silly concept.

Are they his
doormen
?

Unless.....(crazy speculation)
the silents are actually wanting help. Every time someone sees them they forget them when they look away. So what if the twist was they were actually wanting to get attention, and they have been trying to get the Doctors attention, and get him on the track to help them, in whatever way they need.
/crazyspeculation

Patryn

Popping in just to say that I'm going fucking MAD. I'm trying to stay on a total blackout, but it feels like the Doctor is EVERYWHERE.

It's stunning. I'm in the US, and I've never seen this level of buildup and anticipation for Who before.

Course my big problem is that I still have to endure a week and a half before I can actually see it. And all these pretty black bars are so, so tempting....

Must. Stay. Strong.

Stay strong, the black bars aren't anything special. It's mostly just speculation. You can live without it, if you want to remain in the dark. Not really worth it.

Patryn said:
Popping in just to say that I'm going fucking MAD. I'm trying to stay on a total blackout, but it feels like the Doctor is EVERYWHERE.

It's stunning. I'm in the US, and I've never seen this level of buildup and anticipation for Who before.

Course my big problem is that I still have to endure a week and a half before I can actually see it. And all these pretty black bars are so, so tempting....

Must. Stay. Strong.
This is a safe one to read:
fezes are cool

There. You got one spoiler out of your system. That should tide you over until the 23rd.

RepairmanJack said:
Unless.....(crazy speculation)
the silents are actually wanting help. Every time someone sees them they forget them when they look away. So what if the twist was they were actually wanting to get attention, and they have been trying to get the Doctors attention, and get him on the track to help them, in whatever way they need.
/crazyspeculation
I love this, I have a montage of them trying to get attention in crazy ways in my head, Silence dressed up as clowns and with crazy contraptions desperate for you to look

Patryn said:

Yeah, I'm in New York, and it might be explained somewhat by the Big Event happening in Manhattan a few days ago, but I was at an art show this weekend inexplicably wearing 3D glasses and kept hearing people mentioning "void stuff".

O D I N

mjc said:
It's cool that the Doctor is finally getting traction with the general masses in the US.

I went downtown to see Rush at the United Center last night. There had to have been at least one poster advertising Doctor Who at every stop (on the train).

O D I N said:
I went downtown to see Rush at the United Center last night. There had to have been at least one poster advertising Doctor Who at every stop (on the train).

We saw a bit of this last year but it sounds like it's on a larger scale now. I remember people posting pictures of ads on the sides of buses. The show was wasted at Sy-Fy.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
America kind of needs a scifi tv fix right now. Pretty much all our major franchises are dead or dying from a TV perspective.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom