• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doctor Who Series 2011 |OT| Wibbly Wobbly Timey Wimey Stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.
I keep checking iTunes under the delusional hope they'll put up a page for the new season, along with an option for me to pre-order a Season Pass. But they don't, so I'm sad.

isny

napkin dispenser

isny

napkin dispenser
Acid08 said:
Almost done with episode 10 of the 9th doctor season. Loving this so much so far, Christopher Eccleston is so awesome.
He is. I would have liked AT LEAST two seasons with him. At least most of the first season is more rewatcheable than some of Ten's episodes.

Acid08

Banned
I love the feel of it so far. Very Hitchhikers Guide mixed with Star Trek to me personally. It's really kind of captivating me.

isny

napkin dispenser
Regulus Tera said:
The Ninth Doctor season had some awful lows, but when it succeeded it was truly fantastic.

The introduction of Jack was one of the better episodes. Actually, all of the first season episodes with Jack were phenomenal for different reasons.

Acid08

Banned
isny said:
The introduction of Jack was one of the better episodes. Actually, all of the first season episodes with Jack were phenomenal for different reasons.
He was introduced in the one I just watched, the 1941 gas mask people on. Loved it, he's awesome in the next episode so far also.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
That episode was written by Steven Moffat, by the way.

One thing I liked about Moffat's writing of Jack was that his biomnisexuality was just another part of his character. Whenever RTD had to pen him it seemed like he pushed that angle too much.

Patryn

Regulus Tera said:
That episode was written by Steven Moffat, by the way.

One thing I liked about Moffat's writing of Jack was that his biomnisexuality was just another part of his character. Whenever RTD had to pen him it seemed like he pushed that angle too much.

Oh, I agree. It's like RTD felt the need to constantly remind people of it, and inserted it awkwardly into scenes. So you'd have Jack suddenly and randomly hit on someone, then get chided for that, and then people would act like it never happened and the scene would continue flowing like nothing had occurred.

Well, except in the end of Series 1. In those episodes, he seemed to do a decent job of playing up the character's sexuality and openness in a non-blunt way.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
You can actually count me in as someone who wasn't part of the 10th Doctor cult. Combined with RTD's ham fisted plot conceptualization, the 10th Doctor looks the part, seems like a "classical" or iconic Doctor, but he's a cartoon. A send up, a hyperactive satire of himself. And not in a nuanced, expert way like the 11th Doctor.

Eccleston's Doctor however, was sublime. IMHO the perfect modern Doctor and perfect reinvention of the character. The difference was, Eccleston had the gravitas and range to drop into deadly serious drama at the drop of a hat. They cast an older, more experienced actor. It paid off. His Doctor really seemed like a haunted traveler who was ancient behind the eyes.

Patryn

Kaijima said:
You can actually count me in as someone who wasn't part of the 10th Doctor cult. Combined with RTD's ham fisted plot conceptualization, the 10th Doctor looks the part, seems like a "classical" or iconic Doctor, but he's a cartoon. A send up, a hyperactive satire of himself. And not in a nuanced, expert way like the 11th Doctor.

Eccleston's Doctor however, was sublime. IMHO the perfect modern Doctor and perfect reinvention of the character. The difference was, Eccleston had the gravitas and range to drop into deadly serious drama at the drop of a hat. They cast an older, more experienced actor. It paid off. His Doctor really seemed like a haunted traveler who was ancient behind the eyes.

Oh, I think Eccleston deserves a TON of credit. The entire series was sold to me on two lines: "My name's the Doctor, what's yours?" "Well, Rose Tyler, RUN FOR YOUR LIFE!"

He did a great job portraying a depressed and somewhat broken man with a large streak of alienness.

However, I still think that despite his tendency to overact at times, the Tenth Doctor will always be my Doctor. He did such a good job filling the role that, at times, I still feel like Matt Smith, brilliant as he is (and he really, really is) is still playing the Tenth Doctor and not his own man.

Personally, I blame RTD for his broad writing rather than Tennant. Because when he really has to, I think Tennant nails what he needs to nail. See: School Reunion, Midnight, Waters of Mars, Impossible Planet/Satan Pit, etc, etc.

Elisabeth Sladen passed away today from cancer.

RIP Sarah Jane :(

sarah-and-the-doc.jpg

tennant_sladen_tardis_bbc_400_400x300.jpg

infiniteloop said:
Elisabeth Sladen passed away today from cancer.

RIP Sarah Jane :(

Just saw this over at Gallifrey Base.

Terrible news, and legitimately shocking. She still seemed so full of life in SJA, and I had no clue she had cancer.

RIP

Mr. Sam

Mama Robotnik said:
Looking around, the only source for this is Gallifrey Base forum. Its all coming from there.

Really hope its not true.

Yep. I thought I'd found a source but it began with, "Facebook and Twitter are alight with rumours that...". Fingers crossed it isn't true.

WTF :/ Wasn't she just on TV, I did not even know anything was wrong.

I see nothing on new stations (she is not a huge actress, but they would still report it), no Wiki update or anything yet (someone usually jumps on that super quick)

Doctor Who mag confirms. http://twitter.com/#!/DWMtweets/status/60428628055441408 Mark Gatiss and other Who people too it seems.

Edit: also on ITV News, digital spy. Call it true, sadly.

tuffy

Such depressing news. She was the perfect companion, with enough pluck to get herself into trouble (per the story requirements) but always with enough likeability that you didn't want to see her eaten by the monsters. Even her departure from the original series was on a high note. It's like a piece of my childhood has passed away also.

Keyser Soze said:
Sucks that it's true :/

I wonder have they enough time to edit in a "For Elizabeth" into the end/beginning of the new episode?

Almost definitely. I'm sure even if it's difficult they'll manage it.

Reading up on The Sarah Jane Smith Adventures, it seems they filmed three episodes for season 5, but have no more fully done. I guess they will probably not air now.

Also, the last episode of season 4, which will now probably be the last episode aired, was called "Goodbye, Sarah Jane Smith"

So sad :/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom