• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doctor Who Series 2011 |OT| Wibbly Wobbly Timey Wimey Stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Sam

Forgive my ignorance of American history (never was my strong suit) but when Delaware says it was a crime for him to get married, what does he mean? People seem to be taking it to mean that he's homosexual, but I took it to mean he had a black girlfriend. Interracial marriage wasn't legal until, I think, around 1965-67 and Delaware could have attempted to marry prior to that - he's not a particularly young man. Furthermore, certain states did allow interracial marriage before the mid-60s and I'm confused as to why a homosexual couple in the 60s would attempt to marry.

Yes, I'm dense. Can't be helped.

neoanarch

Tim the Wiz said:
Oh yeah, also great to see Mark A Sheppard back in action. I was a bit worried there after he seemingly got written off Supernatural.
Well he got written off Supernatural so he could be in Who. It was kind of a big deal.

Furret said:
This topic is absolutely unreadable.

What are all the spoiler tags for?

Are you spoiler tagging speculation (which is idiotic) or have some of you seen episodes two?

Or are you spoilering episode one even though you were told not to?

I accidentally highlighted a future episode spoiler because I thought it was a last episode spoiler :/

Furret

Banned
coolcole93 said:
I accidentally highlighted a future episode spoiler because I thought it was a last episode spoiler :/

I did exactly the same thing.

Can a mod please sort out this thread and can those using spoilers lay off the meths.

Mr. Sam

coolcole93 said:

Furret said:
I did exactly the same thing.
Can a mod please sort out this thread and can those using spoilers lay off the meths.

So we can all agree to live by this code from now on, yes?

Mr. Sam said:
I1tZk.png

Spoilers concerning episodes not yet aired are to be spoiler tagged. Discussions about episodes that have aired in the UK, however, are not to be spoiler tagged. Not only does this prevent the thread from looking like a giant barcode - which benefits no-one - but it allows members to pick out real spoilers from plot points about episodes they've already seen.

This isn't an effort to be unkind and exclude people, it's simply an issue of practicalities.

Thank you.

Thing is, It gets a bit fluffy when you're speculating, some people don't want to see speculation, especially if its based on a few points from future episodes.

Really we need a speculation tag as well as a spoiler tag.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
So, what I'm anxiously waiting for is how Moffat's gonna wibbly wobbly his way out of the Doctor dying.

Matt can't be the last Doctor, can he? ;_;

Also, if you don't count the Christmas Special, the Doctor has died in the last two episodes to air. Stop killing the Doctor! :lol

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
Mr. Sam said:
Forgive my ignorance of American history (never was my strong suit) but when Delaware says it was a crime for him to get married, what does he mean? People seem to be taking it to mean that he's homosexual, but I took it to mean he had a black girlfriend. Interracial marriage wasn't legal until, I think, around 1965-67 and Delaware could have attempted to marry prior to that - he's not a particularly young man. Furthermore, certain states did allow interracial marriage before the mid-60s and I'm confused as to why a homosexual couple in the 60s would attempt to marry.

Yes, I'm dense. Can't be helped.

Almost certainly the interracial thing rather than the homosexual thing.

Delaware's a lawman, and thinks in terms of law, and up until 1967 there were anti-miscegenation laws specifically forbidding interracial marriage/sex etc in some (but not all) states. So there were specific criminal offences - and that's how a lawman thinks.

Homosexuality was different. IIRC there weren't specific offences related to homosexual marriage, though there were related to homosexual activities. So far as I remember from the time homosexual marriage was generally thought of, if it was considered at all, to be impossible rather than illegal. So a lawman wouldn't refer to it as 'illegal'.

6pm, warm weather, repeats, still at least one million extra viewers on iPlayer. Also, it will have lost viewers from people who turned off watching the show beforehand. Fact.

2nd in the day though, not bad. Could have been better, and I'd like it to be the most watched thing, but hey. Just wait until the second half of the series - then we see how ratings go, that's uncharted territory...

It's I think in line with series 2 or 3 possibly?

Mr. Sam

Steven Moffat on Twitter:

For those who asked: the overnights are good, but not commenting on the ratings cos we don't know what they are yet. #whatthepressdontget

Yes, but not for a week, when we get the proper ratings. And iPlayer (where we're huge) doesn't get added.

iPlayer doesn't get added to ratings + the papers only report the overnights. Hence the guff last year that ratings were down.

Furret

Banned
Green Scar said:
Say whaaaat? That fucking sucks. Britain's taste in television in appalling.

Surely the only thing that matters is how it did compared to other shows that night/week.

As technology advances the numbers are going to go down every year as less and less people watch on the date of broadcast.

Besides I've always though it silly to have Doctor Who on during the summer instead of autumn, winter.

The show needs dark cold nights, not bright sunshine and BBQs.

isny

napkin dispenser
I wonder what the BBC America and Space ratings will look like. Guess we'll see later this week.

I also just realized, if Who starts it's hiatus at the end of May, we'll only have to go a month without the Whoniverse, as Torchwood starts the first week of July. =D

Furret said:
Surely the only thing that matters is how it did compared to other shows that night/week.

As technology advances the numbers are going to go down every year as less and less people watch on the date of broadcast.

Besides I've always though it silly to have Doctor Who on during the summer instead of autumn, winter.

The show needs dark cold nights, not bright sunshine and BBQs.

In a way - that's why it's been on in the summer before. It's so hard to get a popular show in the summer, Doctor Who will do it. Although it could potentially get greater at the end of the year, it's a safe bet for the BBC to do it the summer because people will watch it.

They try to use Doctor Who as a 'gateway' to the rest of their Saturday night stuff. However seeing as 3 million switch off after, it shows the problem is their saturday night stuff is shit. That's why it got pushed around for shitty talent contests. BRING BACK 7PM STARTS, etc etc.

However, this year we have the split that could change how things go. Would Doctor Who be coming up towards being against X-Factor, or would it miss it depending on when it starts (both when in the year and what time of broadcast)?

Jintor

So... I kind of wonder if the first bit
With the older Doctor and everything
will be the end of the two-parter or the end of the current season. It'd be really cool, and really Moffat, if the first thing he showed us was the Season Finale, and the rest of the season was working up to it.

The main reason I say this is because I want Delaware to be a full-time companion. :<

Probably unlikely though.

Furret

Banned
Jintor said:
will be the end of the two-parter or the end of the current season. It'd be really cool, and really Moffat, if the first thing he showed us was the Season Finale, and the rest of the season was working up to it.

The main reason I say this is because I want Delaware to be a full-time companion. :<

Why did you just spoiler that bit?

Hear you nothing that we say?

Furret

Banned
Green Scar said:
Dude, it's a spoiler for the next episode.

Surely it's just a reference to the older Doctor from episode one?

Whether it is or isn't, it's a case in point that this topic is broken.

We could really use a speculation thread. That way this thread wouldn't be full of black bars and people can still make wild crazy presumptions!

Jintor

Furret said:

Well technically speaking the beginning part of episode one is likely to show up in episode two because it still needs to be resolved. So... timey-wimey...?

isny

napkin dispenser
Furret said:

+5 cool points if you get the reference.

broken_noodle_A2.jpg

Personally, I'm only spoiler tagging stuff that's from trailers or that's speculation based on trailers or rumors.

OMG Aero

Jintor said:

That would actually be really awesome if it was a season finale thing, but since it involves the astronaut it will probably just be for the two parter.

infiniteloop said:
6.7 million overnight :/

Not bad, considering is was a very hot day yesterday like the past week, everyone was out doing BBQs, at the park etc hell even I missed the episode and had to catch it on the iplayer

Jeez, I love Moffat. What an wonderful start to the season and the speculation makes this all the more exciting. The River/Doctor timeline though is making my head spin.

Some beautiful shots in this episode, the cinematographers have really stepped up their game.

Furret said:

Oh, sorry I thought it was referencing (NEXT EPISODE SPOILER)
the Doctor with the massive beard in Area 51
. Didn't read properly.

And I guess the weather affects things RE: ratings, but Doctor Who normally premiers incredibly strongly, like upwards of 8/9 million, IIRC. That's a big drop. I think the show should be moved to 7pm. I suppose iPlayer numbers will be strong still, so that's something.

When do American numbers come out? I wanna see those, given the marketing push it's been getting.

Green Scar said:
Say whaaaat? That fucking sucks. Britain's taste in television in appalling.

Those are pretty good overnights considering it's a bank holiday weekend, sunny, and it was on at 6. Dr Who is a show that benefits a lot from time shifting and iPlayer, so the final rating should be 8-9 million easily, which is normal.

Htown said:
No, I don't really buy the Lodger moment as stated there. There's a better one a few seconds eariler.

Also, note that ship tries to find a pilot via electrical connection to the hand.

On a final note victims were lured into the room by a distressed human voice and as they were killed electrical flashes could be seen through the window. There's no doubt that Silents were present in The Lodger.

Zenith

Banned
Green Scar said:
Oh, sorry I thought it was referencing (NEXT EPISODE SPOILER) [spoir]the Doctor with the massive beard in Area 51[/spoiler]. Didn't read properly.

How can that be a spoiler when it was shown on the next episode preview?

mclem

Seraphis Cain said:
Also, if you don't count the Christmas Special, the Doctor has died in the last two episodes to air. Stop killing the Doctor! :lol

He didn't die in The Big Bang, he just *claimed* he did.

Just read a piece in a UK paper, slating the latest episode. Apparently it was devoid of plot and made no sense. Do people really not understand that this is part of a much larger story arc and not just a bizarre one parter? The writer of that piece looks like a complete lemon now.

isny

napkin dispenser
Just watching Confidential now.

They still have Ten's TARDIS set! Kind of odd if they aren't planning on using it...

2s6at0j.jpg

Zenith

Banned
Galvanise_ said:
Just read a piece in a UK paper, slating the latest episode. Apparently it was devoid of plot and made no sense. Do people really not understand that this is part of a much larger story arc and not just a bizarre one parter? The writer of that piece looks like a complete lemon now.

You mean the Daily Mirror?

http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv-entertai...eds-a-plot-dr-who-that-s-who-115875-23081954/

He must be mentally handicapped if he couldn't follow the things he listed. Guess he's a huge proponent of dumbing things down.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
isny said:
Just watching Confidential now.

They still have Ten's TARDIS set! Kind of odd if they aren't planning on using it...

I always imagined Doctor Who being a bit like Star Trek in that they kept everything, just in case. They did that massive auction of Star Trek stuff a few years ago where Paramount finally cleared out he warehouse but they had tons of props, set pieces, and costumes from the 60's on.

isny

napkin dispenser
DrForester said:
I always imagined Doctor Who being a bit like Star Trek in that they kept everything, just in case. They did that massive auction of Star Trek stuff a few years ago where Paramount finally cleared out he warehouse but they had tons of props, set pieces, and costumes from the 60's on.

Trek never kept the sets though, they continued to get redressed throughout the years. The bridge sets were almost always replaced with the next iteration. Same with the corridors, etc.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
isny said:
Trek never kept the sets though, they continued to get redressed throughout the years. The bridge sets were almost always replaced with the next iteration. Same with the corridors, etc.

Yeah, was referring to the set redresses. Bad on my part. But they did keep parts of sets. There were a lot of large wall pieces they kept for odd reasons.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
isny said:
It's the same, given what we know.
(Someone who kills Timelords appears later in the series, and that James Corden's character comes back. Not only that, but The Lodger was the episode where Amy saw a Silence in the TARDIS)

See my post above =)
:|

As a kid I was terrible at connecting dots, seems like my problems persist still.

It almost felt like a homage of the Doctor and his UNIT days when he told Delaware not to enter the TARDIS and Delaware did right away anyhow.

I miss my 3rd Doctor.

Maiar_m

I want to have the Doctor's manbabies. Or Moffat's, I'm unsure.

Anyway, that has to be the best season opener yet. Whan you compare that to 2005's... Well. I know it's not the same problematic, but it was so tremendously enjoyable.

And I don't even want to start speculatng, I feel like whatever it is I'm trying to come up with, it's just not true.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom