• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doctor Who Series 2011 |OT| Wibbly Wobbly Timey Wimey Stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Sam

"Kevin, would you get some eggs and some milk please?"
"AND some milk? How am I supposed to follow this!? The innumerable strands to this narrative are impossible to follow!"

ultron87

They showed A Christmas Carol immediately following the episode here. It was a little weird to go from "We can't give the Doctor knowledge of his future or the universe will explode!" to the Doctor willfully messing with Kasran's timeline with out any apparent consequences.

I guess the argument could be made that the Doctor is an incredibly complicated space time object and thus messing with his timeline would have consequences, but it was still a weird juxtaposition.

So:

Why are the aliens wearing suits?
Why does the little girl only contact President Nixon?

Those are questions not too many people are asking.

ultron87 said:
They showed A Christmas Carol immediately following the episode here. It was a little weird to go from "We can't give the Doctor knowledge of his future or the universe will explode!" to the Doctor willfully messing with Kasran's timeline with out any apparent consequences.

I guess the argument could be made that the Doctor is an incredibly complicated space time object and thus messing with his timeline would have consequences, but it was still a weird juxtaposition.

Well, giving a time traveller knowledge about their death could cause a paradox. Gently changing a persons memories isn't as bad.

Suairyu

Banned
DoctorWho said:
So:

The first question will be answered.

I seriously doubt the second question will be given any explanation other that one that at its core boils down to they thought Nixon would be fun/cool to put in the show.

Subliminal said:
Well, giving a time traveller knowledge about their death could cause a paradox. Gently changing a persons memories isn't as bad.
But he clearly knows at the point when he dies - Stetson Doctor tells the rest of the group not to stop what happens when he walks to the Astronaut who shoots him and stuff.

JonathanEx said:
But he clearly knows at the point when he dies - Stetson Doctor tells the rest of the group not to stop what happens when he walks to the Astronaut who shoots him and stuff.

The rules for time are pretty much arbitrary due to there no longer being active Time Lords and the Guardians pretty much vanishing. Sometimes it seems like the Doctor is just making things up as he goes along.

The basic core rule in most circumstances is do NOT create paradox. Which can easily be circumvented by covering every single angle.

Suairyu said:
The first question will be answered.

I seriously doubt the second question will be given any explanation other that one that at its core boils down to they thought Nixon would be fun/cool to put in the show.

Funny, because I think the second question is more important.

OMG Aero

If the girl is somehow a creation of the silent or an illusion created by the other Tardis like in The Lodger, it might be a case of them wanting to contact the most powerful person on the planet and thinking that, since Nixon is in charge of the most powerful nation, he is that person.

Mr. Sam

Maybe Nixon is the most significant historical figure (i.e. time event) available and, uh, they wanna use him as a power source. Yeah, that's bound to be it.

Theoris

Neo Member
Earlier I was pondering if we've seen the silence before 'The Impossible Astronaut' and found this little blog post. They all seamed to be a quite wishful apart from:

"The Big Bang - There are cloaked figures behind the Sarcophagi in the museum; a third figure moves out of shot at the edge of the screen at about 13:31"

Checked and over the shoulder of Amelia is a sarcophagus leaning with a cloaked figure holding it up. The next shot shows the figure standing straight and the sarcophagus standing freely..

105v0hl.png
ibyulh.png

Is this the 'silence' sneaking in (much like badwolf/the cracks in time/the master before, except this would be the first to cross a series boundary) or another classic dodgy Doctor Who-ism?

If it's intentional, Moffat's a genius!

Zomba13

Theoris said:
Earlier I was pondering if we've seen the silence before 'The Impossible Astronaut' and found this little blog post. They all seamed to be a quite wishful apart from:

"The Big Bang - There are cloaked figures behind the Sarcophagi in the museum; a third figure moves out of shot at the edge of the screen at about 13:31"

Checked and over the shoulder of Amelia is a sarcophagus leaning with a cloaked figure holding it up. The next shot shows the figure standing straight and the sarcophagus standing freely..

http://i52.tinypic.com/105v0hl.png[IMG][IMG]http://i54.tinypic.com/ibyulh.png[IMG]

Is this the 'silence' sneaking in (much like badwolf/the cracks in time/the master before, except this would be the first to cross a series boundary) or another classic dodgy Doctor Who-ism?

If it's intentional, Moffat's a genius![/QUOTE]
Hmmm... Could be. At first I though it was the inside/back of the sarcophagus but I don't know. Might be a slip up though.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
infiniteloop said:
6.7 million overnight :/

Not surprised to be honest. The full ratings will be more telling. Last series was the most watched if you counted people who recorded it and watched it in the BBC iPlayer.
DoctorWho said:
So:

The aliens are not wearing human suits. We are wearning alien suits.

stupei

DoctorWho said:
So:

Because it's the 60s, a time when American children still liked and respected their president, police officers, and teachers.

But if you mean why only President Nixon as in why not police officers and teachers as well, good question.

I thought one of the best things about the episode was that Murray Gold seems to have restrained himself a bit. For the most part the score was fairly subtle (although I guess not actually subtle, this being the BBC) and supported the scenes rather than overwhelm them.

TheGorlok

Neo Member
I just finished watching it. And my goodness was that good. Many of my theories went away in a puff of smoke in my head, but I don't mind because that was brilliant. I can't wait for next week. Also loving the lack of time difference between the UK and the US. Makes me as an American feel welcome haha.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
I liked it. It maybe felt a little rushed, but I don't like to have a strong opinion on the first part of a two-parter. This season looks to be primed to maybe be a drk one.

I know this. I really like Moffat's take on Who.

The girl contacting president Nixon is very unusual, he stated through the episode that it was his private/direct line and that nobody like her should have it. If the girl is otherworldly it could be a case of proving the power it has or such as in the case of Churchill, knowing that the Doctor would more than likely come investigating too.

Though Nixon has no prior knowledge of the Doctor, so, who knows. I hope they address it, it seems fairly important.

Not sure why the Silents are wearing suits, maybe they are just misunderstood and actually wanting to help. They do remind me of the Ood's, I think it's their human clothes and overlarge heads.

sammyCYBORG said:
The girl contacting president Nixon is very unusual, he stated through the episode that it was his private/direct line and that nobody like her should have it. If the girl is otherworldly it could be a case of proving the power it has or such as in the case of Churchill, knowing that the Doctor would more than likely come investigating too.

Though Nixon has no prior knowledge of the Doctor, so, who knows. I hope they address it, it seems fairly important.

Not sure why the Silents are wearing suits, maybe they are just misunderstood and actually wanting to help. They do remind me of the Ood's, I think it's their human clothes and overlarge heads.
It seemed to me that it was the lodger tardis trying to contact the person it thought had the most potential to help it.

Napoleonthechimp said:
It seemed to me that it was the lodger tardis trying to contact the person it thought had the most potential to help it.

Gosh, I completely forgot about that episode. Makes more sense now. ^_^ I think I'm going to have to rewatch The Lodger
especially since it's reoccuring
. I don't remember particulary enjoying it the first time round, though I could be mistaken.

Something I never thought about the Silents. From the Guardian review:
There's an alien in the restroom, like the one Amy saw/didn't see on that ridge, like Munch's Scream. Arrrrrhhhh!

Wonder if that will get worked in somehow.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Another thing about them, when the one in the bathroom told Amy that she'll tell the Doctor "Something he must know, and something he must never know" (or something like that), I kept thinking that she blurted out the pregnancy news by mistake because "I must tell the Doctor something very important" (which I'm assuming was about the Silence) was constantly on her mind, but thanks to their memory editing she couldn't make out quite what it was. I'm saying this because the time she picked for breaking the news was really weird. How important was it really in the grand scheme of things?

The other thing is: What does the Doctor need to know, and what does he must not know, when we know that there are three things on Amy's mind; The Silence, the Doctor's death, and the pregnancy. Again, I'm leaning towards the pregnancy being neither, and got out by mistake. Or maybe not. I don't know!

Jinfash said:
Another thing about them, when the one in the bathroom told Amy that she'll tell the Doctor "Something he must know, and something he must never know" (or something like that), I kept thinking that she blurted out the pregnancy news by mistake because "I must tell the Doctor something very important" (which I'm assuming was about the Silence) was constantly on her mind, but thanks to their memory editing she couldn't make out quite what it was. I'm saying this because the time she picked for breaking the news was really weird. How important was it really in the grand scheme of things?

The other thing is: What does the Doctor need to know, and what does he must not know, when we know that there are three things on Amy's mind; The Silence, the Doctor's death, and the pregnancy. Again, I'm leaning towards the pregnancy being neither, and got out by mistake. Or maybe not. I don't know!

The Doctor already expects her to be on her way to creating life with Rory. He said as much in the TARDIS.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
KibblesBits said:
The Doctor already expects her to be on her way to creating life with Rory. He said as much in the TARDIS.
True, and don't get me wrong the pregnancy will play a major role this series if the bits we got from confidential is anything to go by, but I just want to know whether that's exactly what she was supposed to say at that exact moment or not. From her and Rory's perspective, the pregnancy at that moment is something regular news, unless it's his child lol.

Whimsical Phil

Ninja School will help you
Napoleonthechimp said:
My 7 year old nephew had a nightmare after watching the latest Doctor Who episode. I'm glad youngsters have villains they are actually scared of now.
When I first got into Doctor Who back when I was in high school (this was some time ago), I actually had a nightmare in which I was being chased through a crystal maze by Daleks. Within the dream, I was terrified, but after waking up, I was rather pleased that I had such a cool nightmare.

Gowans

Man I feel like rewatching the last series again, if I only had the time.

Any recommended Doctor Who discussion podcasts out there? Wound'nt mind a weekly detailed discussion to listen too while I run.

I heard a noise in my kitchen late last night. Shortly after checking it out and then turning away, satisfied there was nothing there, I realised just how scary the Silents were.

Slime

Banned
Theoris said:

105v0hl.png
ibyulh.png

If it's intentional, Moffat's a genius!

That's really cool and everything, but I still think it's just some stand the sarcophagus is supposed to be propped up against. In one shot it is, in the other shot it isn't, and this being Doctor Who, that makes it seem like some clever clue. But I'm pretty certain it's just a minor production error, unfortunately.

Gowans007 said:
Man I feel like rewatching the last series again, if I only had the time.

Any recommended Doctor Who discussion podcasts out there? Wound'nt mind a weekly detailed discussion to listen too while I run.

I've been listening to Doctor Who: Podshock since '05. Can't recommend it enough.

Just watched the episode yesterday and I really liked it. I thought it was paced way too fast for a season opener, but it was still good. I like last series opener better. The silence are creepy as shit. It was also kind of creepy to see the Doctor lose his patience. How he acted in the Tardis seemed kind of odd to me, he always follows random clues and summons yet this one he doesn't want to trust River to go on one? Just seemed off.

I probably just missed the post with the avatars, but here's a few I made anyway in case people wanted:

AisUp.png

Click for the Album!

Might wanna bookmark, since I'll probably add more avas from future episodes here. Can add a link to the OP if you want.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom