• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doctor Who Series 8 |OT| We've fucking time-travelled, yes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Pretty sure this is his theme: http://youtu.be/cBQA3u0td2w It's been in pretty much all the episodes at least. Flatline was the first episode I properly noticed it in, as in it just wasn't background music.

I haven't really noticed his theme, but it does feel like Capaldi's doctor.

In terms of Doctors: Capaldi > Smith > Ecclestone > Tennant

My list would switch Smith with Tennant.

So for me it would be Capaldi > Tennant > Eccleston > Smith

Sorry, I just didn't like Smith's doctor as much as the others, and I LOVE Capaldi's doctor.

Vibranium

Banned
I don't like Gridlock. I do like Love & Monsters.

Yeah. I went there.

Upon rewatch and reflection with posts here, I have decided to agree with the options that L&M is a decent episode that is ruined in the last stretch by a horribly executed alien (I know it was a child's design, but the costume team could have done a way better job bringing it to life) and the terrible pavement slab/innuendo. If RTD had the balls to keep Elton's girlfriend permanently dead without the gross love life stuff, the ep probably would have been remembered way better. I really dug the group learning about The Doctor and Elton's obsession.

BaBaRaRa

I still don't get the hate for the "love life" comment in L&M. Did it really ruin the episode for people?

There were so many other things wrong with that episode, but I keep seeing this one comment being brought up again and again

Dryk

Life and Death of Amy Pond and Whose Enigma are so good. Amy in the TARDIS too.

Oh also while I'm at it

Majestic Tale of a Madman with a Box > Spoonheads = Remember Me > Words Win Wars > This Planet is Ours > I Am The Doctor

I think Gridlock is the absolute clearest fault-line in the NuWho community. For almost every group there is some Venn diagram in which they share at least one other opinion, but my experience there is no single Moffat-fan who likes Gridlock and no single Davies-fan who dislikes it. It's like the pH test of Whovians.
I like it... guess I'll be handing in my Moffat card :(

Donna confirmed as best companion. Glad someone knows reason.
Honestly until I started frequenting this thread I didn't realise that Donna wasn't recognised as the best outside of my group of friends. Though we also tend to put Rory second.

Trike

Capaldi is definitely one of my favorites so far, but I don't want to rank him with the Doctors until his run is finished. Or at least he has had a complete season. They could end up shitting him up later on, if I want to be pessimistic about it.

I would probably go with:

Tennant
Smith
Eccleston

out of the new doctors. Eccleston is underrated, but I think that is because he only stayed on for one season. Would have loved to see where else they went with the character if he stayed on.

next up, let's rank words and phrases that mean rank

1. rank
2. order of preference
3. pecking order
4. qualitative classification
5. ordery-wordery
6. shit- best to worst
7. sorted by likability
8. Capaldi to Eccleston
War Doctor. standings
9. Position within the hierarchy of good
10. IGN review scale

I've not really been into many Doctor Who episodes that have children in the cast. I'm guessing this episode must have a twist or two because it is the last one before the big two-parter/finale Moffat has got going on,

iMax

Donna >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Capaldi > Eccleston > Smith > Tennant

V_Arnold

Soundtrack wars? Okay.
Top 5, here we go!

1. Doomsday theme
2. This is Gallifrey
3. The Clouds Pass
4. I Am The Doctor
5. The Majestic Tale / Mad Man in a Box

MrBadger

Can we do a soundtrack list next? I feel like we never do soundtracks.

Let's all just agree that series 3 has the best soundtrack over all.

Also this thread is telling me I need to rewatch Gridlock. I saw it once when it aired and didn't think much of it, except that I liked how fleshed out Future Earth was.

I feel there needs to be more love expressed for how I Am The Doctor developed over the series first time round. Sure it hit a feeling of overuse, but the way it grew from the first few plays, variations in Amy's Choice, Lodger to the versions with the finale. A classic track on the series, but the evolution of it is great.

Also "Up The Shard" sounds like innuendo but is also an amazing mix of it.

Let's all just agree that series 3 has the best soundtrack over all.

Also this thread is telling me I need to rewatch Gridlock. I saw it once when it aired and didn't think much of it, except that I liked how fleshed out Future Earth was.

Series 3 is my absolute favorite, so many of my most liked songs are there.

Dryk

I like Up the Shard, but I usually pass over it for Spoonheads. Also while I'm talking about the amazing music from Bells of Saint John, why does nobody talk about Bah Bah Biker anymore?

I feel there needs to be more love expressed for how I Am The Doctor developed over the series first time round. Sure it hit a feeling of overuse, but the way it grew from the first few plays, variations in Amy's Choice, Lodger to the versions with the finale. A classic track on the series, but the evolution of it is great.

Also "Up The Shard" sounds like innuendo but is also an amazing mix of it.
It may have been overused in the show, with jumping through the window in Closing Time being a notable low point. But I still love how many variations there are on the soundtracks and I never tire of it.

EDIT: Had another idea for a list (companion themes), but then I realised that they're all too good and I can't order them

I've had this on my mind for a while. Is it just me or does the production value seem lacking? The visuals seem very bland and the effects aren't as crisp as they were during the latter years of Smith's time. It really reminds me of the Ecclestion days, where the show was just getting off the ground. Not to mention the stories have been very hit or miss. If it wasn't for Capaldi, I don't know how much I'd be tuning in these days.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I liked Gridlock ok actually, and pretty much disliked everything about RTD Who except the characters. I generally prefer Moffat's take on the show, except he's reached the point of self indulgent pap too, only in the other direction.

I mean, and I'm asking this with genuine curiosity, when do you feel he wasn't? The very first episode of series 5 was built on self indulgent pap

Quick

Banned
I've had this on my mind for a while. Is it just me or does the production value seem lacking? The visuals seem very bland and the effects aren't as crisp as they were during the latter years of Smith's time. It really reminds me of the Ecclestion days, where the show was just getting off the ground. Not to mention the stories have been very hit or miss. If it wasn't for Capaldi, I don't know how much I'd be tuning in these days.

Bit of an exaggeration comparing it to Series 1.

Kathian

Banned
People have weak memories of the Tennant year effects. Not to mention HD work is a big change from SD. Something The Specials team never bothered to take on sadly.

Real Hero

Nah this current series is pretty much the most consistent series so far. Way less hit and miss than it has been for a long time.

Famassu

Fixed that.

Ewww, no. Broke it. Eccleston is easily the worst nuWho. Both Eccleston & Tennant overact, but Eccleston is much, much worse than Tennant. Personally, I'm happy that he only stayed for one season. I know the enthusiasm is a part of the Doctor, but Smith does the super enthusiastic Doctor in the most natural & believable way so far, imho, at least in comparison to Eccleston and Tennant.

Magwik

Banned
Ewww, no. Broke it. Eccleston is easily the worst nuWho. Both Eccleston & Tennant overact, but Eccleston is much, much worse than Tennant. Personally, I'm happy that he only stayed for one season. I know the enthusiasm is a part of the Doctor, but Smith does the super enthusiastic Doctor in the most natural & believable way so far, imho, at least in comparison to Eccleston and Tennant.

Famassu
100% likely wrong.
(Today, 01:14 PM)

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Neither Smith nor Tennant could do angry particularly well, I feel. at best, their Doctors did "mildly pissed off/disappointed". For scripts like Dalek, you need Ecclestons and Capaldis.

MrHoot

Well that episode was all kinds of dumb. Probably worst than Kill the moon, the hell happened with that pacing and whole setting. It litteraly went nowhere

That finale teaser was great though

GavinUK86

Another shitty episode. Clara was hot once again though.

Next weeks is looking a lot better. Seems like all you needed to watch this season was the first and last.

Yeah bit of a mixed bag this episode. I liked the premise of it but the kids just annoyed the crap out of me and that "feelgood" ending just had me rolling my eyes.

NTom64

That...was surprisingly decent! I'd put it above the "OK" episodes like Robot of Sherwood and Kill the Moon, but only just. A lot of cheesy moments balanced out by some genuinely emotional ones.

Next week's ep looks amazing.

Tregard

Soothsayer
Interesting concept, abysmal execution. Also Clara and Danny showed themselves to not just be incompetent but horrible teachers. Maeve was alright, and by that fact alone makes her one of the only children in Doctor Who ever who wasn't completely irritating. Seriously, those schoolchildren, I nearly threw a shoe at the TV.

Ending was super abrupt and silly, hopefully next week is a return to form. As it stands, I don't particularly care who Missy is, let's see if they can change that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom