• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dodgeball [DS] screens

TreIII

BobFromPikeCreek said:

Man this game is going to be great. I can't wait. Wifi please!

Indeed...

But if you're hoping for WiFi...I wouldn't hold my breath. Such a thing is probably too costly and too troublesome for a smaller developer/publisher team like Million and Arc Systems to try and implement. Plus, in Japan-land, it's almost always easier to find like-minded gamers than it is over here. Thus, why 8 players over wireless download play is a much better option for their interests overall.

If you want WiFi for the US release, you better start knocking on the likes of AkSys', Atlus' or hell, even Nintendo's door. Because only through an interesting American publisher is such a feature going to be implemented into a game like this...

J. M. Romeo said:
Anyway, I prefer the Kunio look of the NeoGeo Dodge Ball. I've spent a shitload of hours in that game.

Nekketsu Dodge Ball for the Neo Geo was definitely a fun game, even though it was quite a departure from the classic formula from the NES and SNES games. It might as well have been its own beast altogether.

Thus, why I'm glad this game returns to the classic formula. All I need to see is that they brought back such things from the SNES version, such as being able to call different formations with your team-mates (including the human totem pole!), and I'll be no good... :D

Kenji is overpowered though.

Eh, if I remember correctly, the "tier list" that existed for this game (yeah...it got to be that serious in Japan), Sabu the certified "Dodge Ball Yakuza" gunman was tops. I mean, all of his skills were good, and his "desperation special" was easily the safest of the cast (his didn't even involve putting himself at risk, while pretty much everyone else throws themselves into it).

Speaking of which...I remember how there actually were tournaments for Kunio-kun Dodge Ball for the NES and SNES versions in Japan. You could even win special gold versions of the SNES version for the latter!

I wonder if they'll do anything special for this game, and resurrect that aspect of Kunio-kun that hasn't been seen in a while.

toxk_02

Black Republican
Prime crotch said:
They went back to the roots, Kunio style.
5ys61rd.jpg
YES YES YES YES YES. Man, I took it to those USSR clones like nobody's business back in the day. Looking forward to this.

TreIII

toxk_02 said:
YES YES YES YES YES. Man, I took it to those USSR clones like nobody's business back in the day. Looking forward to this.

Ah yes....the "Dark Dimension Clones". It was even more fun to fight them in the SNES version of the game (yes, they were a secret battle there too!).

I hope that they bring back some more fun extra battles. That was perhaps one of the few things that the GBA game really did to bring up its heritage, with the extra fights. Go for friggin' broke, Million! And then announce a friggin release date, so I can pre-order this puppy, already! :lol

allarise

This game can't come soon enough.

i want:

awesome music
teams from around the world
crotch shots
cheap shots to the guys behind the foul line
shots that knock the other team around the world and land on your side of the court
final boss: USSR
real final boss: evil dark clones
wifi play
or 6v6 local wireless play

sonatinas

allarise said:
This game can't come soon enough.

i want:

awesome music
crotch shots
shots that knock the other team around the world and land on your side of the court
wifi play

In today's climate the final boss should be Iran instead of USSR.

TreIII

allarise said:
i want:

awesome music

You'll probably get that. Million and Technos alike are known for crafting great music.

You'll get that.

We already know that some teams from last time (NES/SNES) are here. And the recent shots just indicated that we can look forward to more.

crotch shots

Hmmm...dunno about that...these guys already go through enough interesting ways of receiving pain already. I mean, when you can already do such things like make people fly around the screen/world, in addition to making your shots morph into interesting objects to further the hurt...groin shots just seem so...passe.

We already know that you can now punch, kick and use weapons, in addition to throwing the ball, all as methods of pain. If hitting people upside the head with trashcans, chains, car batteries and such won't tickle your fancy in this light, I dunno what will...

Now, how would this even come close to being "Super Dodge Ball" if it didn't have THIS facet? Even that GBA game (which I thought was inferior in a number of ways) got this aspect down, though I thought it went too over-the-top with it a bit...

Ummm...Soviet Russia doesn't exist any more in our world, and I doubt they do in the world of Kunio-kun either. Russia will probably be in this game, though I'm betting, if neither them or the USA team are the bosses, it will probably be one of (hopefully) several special bosses.

They brought this boss battle back for the upgraded SNES version...I'd see no reason why the Dark Dimension bunch (or Nazo no Gunden/Mysterious Army in the JP version) couldn't come back for more hi-jinks again. Though if it was anything like the SNES game, you'll need like 5 perfect victories to get a chance to fight them. But in any case a remix of the NES version's boss fight music would be awesome...!

wifi play

Don't count on it...

You'll get up to 8 players over Wireless (download play only requires one cart). This means for 4 on 4 Dodge Ball matches, and up to 8-man rumbles for an updated Bean Ball Mode where you can do a whole lot more than just wait for the ball to come to you...now you can actually FIGHT in this mode! :D

TreIII

No clue. I believe the original Famitsu mag said something about the game being 60% complete at the time of printing.

But my guess is, if it is due for this year, chances are Arc Systems will be willing to tell more about it at TGS or there-abouts in a few more weeks.

allarise

Awesome TreIII, I wish everything I posted on GAF received this kind of response.

Anyhow, looking forward to the game no matter what and hope for a NA release.

TreIII said:
I already posted a link to this in my "ITT...Kunio-kun" thread. But no matter, the more people that know about the awesome the better. :D

BAH! That generic anime style with the jailbait girlies and moptop boys was only used as a place-holder. In the days before Million (Technos Reborn!) and Atlus were able to snap up all of the properties from Technos Japan's locker, obviously, they wanted to make some good games, even if they didn't explicitly have access to the Kunio-kun license just yet.

That's the only reason why the style for "Dodge Ball Fighters" for the GBA was used as it was. Million couldn't do any better at the time, and so they had to just settle for it. Now that Million has since reacquired pretty much everything they could stand to need (or at least, Double Dragon and Kunio-kun, which were the most important any way), don't expect them to ever go back to the style from the GBA game. And I, for one, am glad about that. It's just not Kunio-kun no Dodge Ball without the title character.

Bah! All you haters. Im not one for annoying anime esque art all the time, but at least all the people look diffrent and dont look like they have their elbows glued to their hips

TreIII

Lavpa Jasai said:
Bah! All you haters. Im not one for annoying anime esque art all the time, but at least all the people look diffrent and dont look like they have their elbows glued to their hips

Well, perhaps I wouldn't have had so much of a problem...if it wasn't for the fact that, again, the art style was just used as a mere place-holder, and it wasn't trying to be a Kunio-kun game, just without the Kunio-kun that we "haters" grew up with.

I take it by your avatar that you're a Harvest Moon fan. How would you have felt if, instead of the charming artstyle that you came to love, a new game in the series came out, and the new main character dude was as stereotypically anime-esque as they come, complete with a spiky, Akira Toriyama-style moptop to top it off? Wouldn't you have felt at least a BIT miffed at that outcome? That the art style, character stylings and other aspects that you loved about the series was overthrown for this homogenized art style that was obviously made as a vain attempt to try and reach more/casual gamers?

Well...that's what it felt like to me when I laid eyes on the Dodge Ball Fighters/Super Dodge Ball Advance. Next to the removal of Bean Ball Mode (WTF?!) and the fact that they tried to be too "extreme" with some things (why do some throws make it so people take forever to come back down to the ground? even the NES and SNES titles weren't THAT ridiculous!), the art style pissed me off. And I'm glad that Million never HAS to resort to such a thing ever again...

TreIII

Skiptastic said:
I call shenanigans on RCR EX. That was Kunio Kun EX, not RCR. I want my Alex in white t-shirt and blue jeans back!

Sorry, pal, but I don't think you're going to get that...those days when Technos US actually took the time and money to try and patch the games for the sake of the West are over. We're probably should be counting our blessings that Million (Technos Japan REBORN!) was even able to pull some strings and come back to life as it is.

The most that all RCR-ites can hope for is a good, humor-packed dubbing job like in RCR EX. But entire graphical make-overs and such? ...Yeah...sorry... ^^;

Tf53 said:
Shades of...

nintendworldcuppack.jpg

Well, technically...the Soccer game came later. Dodge Ball is second only to the original Nekketsu Kouha Kunio-kun (what we would later know as "Renegade"), as far as seniority in the series goes. Downtown(RCR), Soccer and everything else that was good and awesome came later on down the line...

FoxSpirit

Enk said:
Anyone ever play the NeoGeo one awhile back. Those were good times :)

dodgeballneo-2.png
dodgeballneo-1.png

118124217514.png
sdb-5.gif

Can't wait for the DS one to come out. I really love that they're sticking with the old style. Now let's get on to making River City Ransom DS!

I did! Though never fully got the hang of it, it was awesome.

TreIII

rezuth said:
River City Dodgeball?

More or less. River City Ransom and Super Dodge Ball are all part of the same overall series, the "Nekketsu Kouha Kunio-kun" line.

Check out the "Kunio-kun" topic if you wish to learn more. You may have played more games in the Kunio-kun series than you may have originally thought.

TreIII said:
Well, perhaps I wouldn't have had so much of a problem...if it wasn't for the fact that, again, the art style was just used as a mere place-holder, and it wasn't trying to be a Kunio-kun game, just without the Kunio-kun that we "haters" grew up with.

I take it by your avatar that you're a Harvest Moon fan. How would you have felt if, instead of the charming artstyle that you came to love, a new game in the series came out, and the new main character dude was as stereotypically anime-esque as they come, complete with a spiky, Akira Toriyama-style moptop to top it off? Wouldn't you have felt at least a BIT miffed at that outcome? That the art style, character stylings and other aspects that you loved about the series was overthrown for this homogenized art style that was obviously made as a vain attempt to try and reach more/casual gamers?

Well...that's what it felt like to me when I laid eyes on the Dodge Ball Fighters/Super Dodge Ball Advance. Next to the removal of Bean Ball Mode (WTF?!) and the fact that they tried to be too "extreme" with some things (why do some throws make it so people take forever to come back down to the ground? even the NES and SNES titles weren't THAT ridiculous!), the art style pissed me off. And I'm glad that Million never HAS to resort to such a thing ever again...

Fair enough, I never grew up on the old games, so I'm rather fond of the GBA one.

though to be fair harvest moons design has jumped everywhere..
And im even missing a few..

art-009.jpg

220374_1.jpg

00001.png

harvestmoonwii.jpg

Top Bottom