• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Does a game with bad story but perfect gameplay deserve 10/10 Reviews?

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
IMO games are games. The experience of the actual gameplay is what constitute 95% of what I enjoy. There are terrible games with great stories. There are amazing games with poor stories. But the amazing games all have something in common. The game part is amazing.

MartyStu

It's a game review. If a game has 10/10 gameplay, I think that score would be warranted. Something like a TellTale game or Quantic Dreams game would be different though, since they are good game despite their gameplay, not because of it.

This seems to imply that those TellTale games do not have gameplay or that it is bad.

I think an important thing here is to first define what is and what is NOT gameplay.

KraytarJ

You're right, but "Bowser kidnapped the princess while we were on vacation in Dinosaur Land" isn't 10/10 story material. To me it doesn't matter to that games score, though.
I disagree. To me not every game has to excel in every category to be classified a masterpiece (or a 10/10 w.e.) it just has to excel in the areas it focuses on and since Mario games don't care about story I don't think that should factor in at all, to me a 10/10 is something like Galaxy that is just perfect in every way it tries, where had it featured some garbage plot (like oh I don't know parasites are infecting the Mushroom Kingdom and were responsible for every event in evolution) then I'd say it shouldn't be a 10/10 and should be penalized for trying and focusing on something clearly subpar, but Mario games don't do that.

Megatron

Yes. Story is a nice bonus, but not essential. Gameplay is what matters. Its like asking if a game can get a 10 with bad graphics. Of course it can.

zewone

MGSV has the best gameplay of the series but the weakest story and it's my least favorite entry.

So yes, I guess so. It should be a factor. If the story isn't a factor to your buying habits, then just ignore that section of the review.

105.Will

Yes and no, kinda depends on what the focus is.
I bought Bayonetta 2 because i wanted to play a really good action game, and its a 10/10 in my book.
I bought Persona 4 because i wanted a good story with good characters, and that games is also a 9 or 10/10 in my book.
Reviewers should really tell you what a 10/10 means in their perspective, to me it means the game did what it set out to do perfectly.

Kwixotik

Depends on how much of the story the player is forced to engage with. For example, no one gives a fuck about Enter the Gungeon's story and Enter the Gungeon knows that. Therefore, the game's story is a non-factor in reviewing it.

kunonabi

Yeah, but the story is 'terrible' in a manner that does not detract from the game. In fact, it greatly adds to the overall experience.

I doubt many people found a desire to skip many of those cut-scenes.

Compared to an Atelier Whatever game where I am hammering on the skip button as hard as I can.

I skipped them. The "banter" with Hunnigan was especially terrible.

MartyStu

Yes. Story is a nice bonus, but not essential. Gameplay is what matters. Its like asking if a game can get a 10 with bad graphics. Of course it can.

Depends what you mean by this.

There are absolutely cases where poor visuals will detract from an excellent game enough to be discussed as a valid flaw.

Griss

Any game that achieves what it sets out to do perfectly can deserves that score.

If it doesn't concern itself with story, then sure, it can. If it tries to tell a story and just does it badly, then no.

This is exactly it in a nutshell. A game should be judged solely on what it sets out to achieve.

Does the game spend your time telling you an intricate story, hoping to entertain and engage you with narrative? If so, the game must be judged on how well it does at that.

If the story is just 1 minute of throwaway plot in the beginning as a simple 'narrative framework' so that gameplay can occur, then who cares if the story is good or not - it's not a focus of the game.

MGSV is the perfect example. The gameplay was an 11/10 for me. Possibly the best gameplay I've ever experienced. But the amount of time I had to spend suffering through poor cutscenes, exposition, dialogue and tapes really cost it a lot of my goodwill, and I couldn't in good conscience ignore how much that frustrated me and call it a 10/10 game.

If a game sets out to do something it should do it well. I'm not expecting an amazing story from a Mario game, cause it's not trying to do it. I do expect something good from a Metal Gear game so MGSV was incredibly disappointing in that front.(I also have gameplay complaints but that is besides the point)

It's not even about expectations, though. Had MGSV dropped the narrative entirely and been gameplay-only, I would have been disappointed at first but then judged the game as a masterpiece on what it was trying to be - a gameplay-exclusive experience. (And one that would have totally nailed it.) If Mario suddenly had an intricate story, I'd be surprised but if it was good it would only add to what I thought of the game. Mario Galaxy and Rosalina's story time is a good example of that - it added significantly to that game in a way I never expected.

There a bunch of games where I enjoyed the gameplay, but stopped playing because the story wasn't grabbing me.

Mechanically speaking Dying Light is awesome, but the story was completely flat. Just Cause 2 also had the same issue.

The Tomb Raider reboot was a big one for me. I felt if it had a more interesting story it could have been a 10/10 game.

Kyuur

If a game is centered around story as a critical element (dialogue, character development, lore) then no, it doesn't deserve 10/10. If a game's story is simply there to serve as a vehicle for the gameplay, sure, why not.

Edit: As an analogy, I don't think cover art on a book has any bearing on how good a regular novel is. However, it the book frequently provides images for whatever reason (maybe the author wants to skip setting details in the text) then I will also judge the book on the quality of those images.

phanphare

Banned
it just depends on the game, I'd take it on a case by case basis. there are games where the story is integral to the entire experience and it being bad would bring down the whole game. then there's stuff like the main mario games where there honestly isn't even enough of a story to judge whether it's good or bad but that doesn't matter because that's not what the emphasis of the game is.

with something like Bayonetta I personally wouldn't dock it based on its story because it works for what the game is but I could see how someone else might not dig it. I'm not playing a Bayonetta game because of the engaging narrative, though I do enjoy the tone of the cut scenes and think they add to the overall game experience.

Yudoken

Max Payne 3 as an example is worse as a game because the game focus of the pre-rendered cutscenes which constantly interrupt the gameplay and are terrible to look at (quality, writing and the distortion effects are really bad) while in the other hand Max Payne 2 was excellent and made the game more awesome.

It's also a perfect example for a game that suffers from ludonarrative dissonance, MP 3 would highly benefit from custom maps and mod support which would unfold the full potential of the game engine.

This thread is weird compared to what I thought about here. Every other day theres some thread complaining about the writing in some game or the narrative.

That entirely depends on the game and what it's going for. But sure, plenty of games are fantastic and have awful or throwaway stories.

But FF5! (It's story is more "passable" than "bad" though).

Never player FF5. Was it supposed to be more of a dungeon-crawler rather than a narrative driven , full blown RPG? I get the sense that at the time FF as a brand wasn't established as a cinematic, story driven experience , though I could be wrong.

In my opinion it depends on the game itself.

Like, if the gameplay is amazing but the story is so, so bad that it hurts just going through it then imo that's impeding gameplay. You want to play more of the game, but the story is so awful that it zaps all interest in wanting to progress, even for the sake of gameplay.

In that case I don't believe that game should get a perfect score, because story is still an aspect of the game just as much as music or graphics are.

Ridley327

It's really up to the game and what they want the player to focus on. That's why I'm not really as down on MGS5's storytelling failings as others are, since the series as a whole has featured categorically awful stories and this particular game really wasn't going out of its way to make a big deal out of having a story like some of the others, outside of the marketing that pointed things in the opposite direction (which I don't fault anyone for taking issue with). It's undoubtedly jarring for those who are invested in the canon of the series, but I just take it for what it is as the game presents it: some context as to why you're in Afghanistan/Africa, and then giving you the keys to the kingdom to achieve whatever objective that the particular mission wants you to complete.

If I were a reviewer on that game, I would probably mention that the game doesn't have the greatest story, but I'd also be quick to point out that neither did six or seven other games in the series. That's not my buy-in for the franchise.

Super Mario Galaxy 2.

In that Case, when there aren't any words to express traditional narrative of words, level design and the feeling expressed from that interaction must suffice. That is what we call a "Story".

Super Mario Galaxy 2 has a close to non-existent narrative, but a strong story that is induced through the player's interaction with the game.

We seem to separate gameplay and Story, when really it should be Narrative that is Separate. Story is everything in the game, all the words, actions and aesthetics.

To me, gaming is more than just the original intent of a "video game" nowadays. It stretches more into the realm of "entertainment" as a medium.

Because games can have so many different facets that derive what they are trying to accomplish in that medium, yes, to me a game can be "perfect" in score even if the story is bad/nonexistent. And in the alternate view, a game can be "perfect" in score even if the gameplay is subpar (although this is way more difficult to pull off than going the other way, because of the roots of what a "video game" originally was).

Realistically, games should very rarely garner ANY 10/10 or "perfect" reviews. Unfortunately for the gaming industry, review scores are very bloated because 5/10 isn't considered the "average" mark for a video game. So when a very generic game that does nothing extraordinary to push boundaries comes out and gets an 88-92 score, how can you justify NOT giving a game that does all the same things much better, while pushing boundaries, a 100? It's a vicious cycle that'll probably never be broken.

I mean, how many movies get a 10/10 or a "perfect" rating from ANY critic, let alone multiple critics? Yet in the gaming space it's commonplace for any triple-A title, no matter how truly great or average it is, to get at least a half dozen of them.

Roussow

There a bunch of games where I enjoyed the gameplay, but stopped playing because the story wasn't grabbing me.

Mechanically speaking Dying Light is awesome, but the story was completely flat. Just Cause 2 also had the same issue.

The Tomb Raider reboot was a big one for me. I felt if it had a more interesting story it could have been a 10/10 game.

Core story isn't the only thing to consider here, I'm glad someone mentioned Dying Light, because you're right to say the story is pretty flat, but I wouldn't completely call the narrative elements a complete waste. The world building in that game is fantastic, the setting is phenomenal, and the music and visuals really blend together to create a really striking tone. While you could argue this sounds like more of a presentation defense, it certainly effects the more abstract narrative, and I feel like that's something we should be considering more and more when we talk about "story" in a game.

Toxi

Banned
The mad max argument. Story was nothing...movie was great. It depends on what the aim of the project was.
Mad Max: Fury Road (I'm assuming you're talking about that one) does have a good story. It's got likable characters, interesting social commentary, and no wasted screen-time.

Mad Max only doesn't have a story if you think "story" is how complicated the basic plot structure is. By that measure, Kingdom Hearts Dream Drop Distance has a better story than Shadow of the Colossus because the plot is way more complicated.

DNAbro

This is exactly it in a nutshell. A game should be judged solely on what it sets out to achieve.

Does the game spend your time telling you an intricate story, hoping to entertain and engage you with narrative? If so, the game must be judged on how well it does at that.

If the story is just 1 minute of throwaway plot in the beginning as a simple 'narrative framework' so that gameplay can occur, then who cares if the story is good or not - it's not a focus of the game.

MGSV is the perfect example. The gameplay was an 11/10 for me. Possibly the best gameplay I've ever experienced. But the amount of time I had to spend suffering through poor cutscenes, exposition, dialogue and tapes really cost it a lot of my goodwill, and I couldn't in good conscience ignore how much that frustrated me and call it a 10/10 game.

It's not even about expectations, though. Had MGSV dropped the narrative entirely and been gameplay-only, I would have been disappointed at first but then judged the game as a masterpiece on what it was trying to be - a gameplay-exclusive experience. (And one that would have totally nailed it.) If Mario suddenly had an intricate story, I'd be surprised but if it was good it would only add to what I thought of the game. Mario Galaxy and Rosalina's story time is a good example of that - it added significantly to that game in a way I never expected.

that's why the first sentence is there. If you try to do something, you better do it well. MGSV trailers put so much focus on the story, so it was obvious they were aiming for that.

Griss

Here's an example for all the 'Sure, only gameplay matters' people - what about a game like VLR or 999 or Phoenix Wright. Would you say those games could be great without a great story if they get the (small) gameplay parts right?

Of course not, because the entire point of those games is telling a story. Which is why how good that story is is generally the same as how good the game is considered to be. It's the opposite of classic 2D mario games, which have nothing but the barest outline of a story and are essentially gameplay only. Most narrative games sit somewhere in between the two, but that means the story still matters in most of them and they should be judged by how much of the experience that story is asked to carry.

that's why the first sentence is there. If you try to do something, you better do it well. MGSV trailers put so much focus on the story, so it was obvious they were aiming for that.

Yeah I agreed with that part, just saying that games shouldn't be judged by expectations when they seek to break free of them.

I don't quite understand the whole "bad story" thing. It's dumb. A story is just there, if you like it, you like it, if you don't, you don't.

It's really weird, I've never heard anyone say "Oh, that's a bad story!" about other works of art. Nobody seriously studying world literature divides works into "good" or "bad". Nobody who is into film history thinks about if a movie's story is "good" or "bad".

That's because this good/bad thing is a value judgement. It's for appraisers, marketers, etc. It's not an intellectual engagement. It's a binary decision that leaves no room for ambiguity, for interpretation, for personal experience.

Kieli

Depends on the game/genre, depends on the person.

I wouldn't mind a non-existent story in a fighting game, but cannot tolerate that in an RPG.

MCN

Banned
Here's an example for all the 'Sure, only gameplay matters' people - what about a game like VLR or 999 or Phoenix Wright. Would you say those games could be great without a great story if they get the (small) gameplay parts right?

Seeing as I can't stand those games, I'd say no.

charsace

Yes! Hell yes!

The story for most games suck, even most classic games have shit stories.

What a game is makes it hard to have a good story, but the interactivity of games can make a bad story better than it is.

Ridley327

especially anything Metal Gear.

It has some cool subversive elements with regards to its ending, but it is still a game where the first major roadblock that is put into the path of our hero is a man who can summon bees to grab a Tommy gun for him, and that's not even the most ridiculous shit that happens in the game.

Depends on how much a game focuses on story. Ninja Gaiden 3 has a bad story, and the game has a strong focus on it. It's definitely going to get criticized for that aspect of it.

Despite what some people say here. I don't think MGSV should get docked for having a "poor" story. The only intrusive part of the story is the opening and ending. The rest of the cutscenes are short, and the greater details are in optional cassette tapes.

Top Bottom