• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Does anyone actually know what THE METAVERSE actually is?

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
“Gaming is the most dynamic and exciting category in entertainment across all platforms today and will play a key role in the development of metaverse platforms,” said Satya Nadella, chairman and CEO, Microsoft.

With three billion people actively playing games today and fueled by a new generation steeped in the joys of interactive entertainment, gaming is now the largest and fastest-growing form of entertainment. Today, Microsoft Corp. announced plans to acquire Activision Blizzard Inc., a leader in game development and interactive entertainment content publisher. This acquisition will accelerate the growth in Microsoft’s gaming business across mobile, PC, console and cloud and will provide building blocks for the metaverse.

Just going through todays news brings up a bunch of mentions of THE METaVERSE as if it were something we should all be familiar with and know what it means. This is straight from Nutella and Bobby K too. I thought it was weird when Zuckerberg was talking about it a few months ago but now it seems like it will actually manifest when the CEO of microsoft is talking about it in the same breath as spending 70billion dollars. I am on gaming sites every day and have never seen someone coherently explain what the metaverse even is.

Feels like gaming is entering a golden era of cringe with NFTs and the metaverse.

lefty1117

Gold Member
It's meant to be ReadyPlayerOne but it's going to need a lot of coordination between big companies to establish standards so that identities can securely and reliably move across the platforms. Personally I think a neutral governing body that establishes standards for how the metaverse will interoperate is needed ... Facebook is trying to get ahead of it with their rebranding to make themselves the defacto standard-setter, but I tried their Metaverse app on Oculus Quest 2 and it's a useless joke right now. Blockchain and NFTs are some of the components that will be used, but it needs agreement across all the companies on how to interoperate. So I think the visionary part of it is still some ways off. When companies like MS talk about metaverse in the short term, what they really mean is how they will leverage their existing products into a cohesive system that you can move around in. But to my mind that's not at all the full potential of what the metaverse can be.

metaverse-101-01.jpg

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
it’s just techno jargon used to sell shit that’s always been around

Dude I would’ve agreed with you a week ago but MS just spent 70bn and is immediately talking about building blocks for THE METAVERSE.

If this is just Tower Unite / VR Chat but with a huge budget I am struggling to see how MS and Facebook are both all in to this degree.

20cent

Banned
The only time I've heard about it in person was from a crypto-stock bro colleague asking me why all the gaming companies don't join the "VR future". I've told him, yeah VR gaming already exists, he said "it's not the same thing". No one else cares about it.

Last edited:

Chittagong

Gold Member
Metaverse is a VC invention that allows them to continue pumping LP money into their failing VR and AR bets.

It’s no coincidence that with Meta, Zuckerberg jetted to Moorea to speak with one of the top investors, if not the top one in the world, Yuri Milner.

VCs are great in renaming things

Big Data => AI&ML
Blockchain => Web 3.0
AR, VR and a whiff of NFTs => Metaverse

Last edited:

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Metaverse is a VC invention that allows them to continue pumping LP money to their failing VR and AR bets.

It’s no coincidence that with Meta, Zuckerberg jetted to Moorea to speak with one of the top investors, if not the top one in the world, Yuri Milner.

VCs are great in renaming things

Big Data => AI&ML
Blockchain => Web 3.0
AR, VR and a whiff of NFTs => Metaverse

If it’s AR and VR then where does Microsoft factor in? They seem uninterested in VR and who knows what happened with Hololens?

Chittagong

Gold Member
If it’s AR and VR then where does Microsoft factor in? They seem uninterested in VR and who knows what happened with Hololens?

While Microsoft doesn’t seem to have much of a horse in the AR/VR/NFT game, they are exquisite in adopting and even inventing new hype terms.

IoT => Edge computing

lingpanda

See the YouTube link around the 1 minute mark. Basically the metaverse as they see it will be the power of the cloud and software services.

Vangellis

Its most likely will become a VR/AR hellscape of advertisements and micro transactions. Like... ordering taco bell with your VR headset and get a your free virtual taco hat. Then you can virtually sit in the delivery persons car as you watch him drive your food to you. Then you eat your real taco while you wear your virtual taco hat ( and your vr face box) all while you kill people in Grand Theft Auto 7

Ozzie666

I learned about this in Persona 5, we need to find their Jails and Palaces in the metaverse and vanquish these Monarchs and Shadows. Only then, will we change their hearts.
I was born for this!

JLB

Banned

Shit like this. Blending physical stuff with virtual stuff to experience things in new ways. AR and VR

This will be awesome, eventually.
Imagine watching the final of the Champions League like if you were there in the stadium.
Definitely we are 5 to 10 years away to have something gamechanger on that space though.

ZehDon

Gold Member
Metaverse was a term coined and used by early cyberpunk sci-fi novels, which is basically the term of a virtual world people live in.

Gaming folks, like John Carmack and Michael Abrash, have been working towards it for years. In fact, John Carmack got Abrash to help on the original Quake engine by explaining that true real-time 3D rendering was required for the metaverse. This convinced Abrash that it was worth working on. Carmack eventually moved over to Oculus, leaving id Software, because his VR work would speed the metaverse.

What we're seeing now is what those cyberpunk authours wrote about coming true: a virtual world, owned by corporations, that people chose to live in over the real world. Working, living, and having fun all inside the VR nightmare world owned by Facebook, Microsoft, and Google.

Moochi

It's a platform that unites social media with gaming, movies, shows, and VR, funded by the sales of digital items with playform-specific virtual limited scarcity.

think of how smartphones changed the world. the whole world at your finger tips. hooked on social media. apps for everything.

imagine that strapped to your face. tech companies don't want you having a 6" window to look at the internet anymore. they want you to be in the internet so will sell you headsets.

you will still see the real world but augmented. all sorts of info will constantly flash in front of your eyes. more distractions and much harder to avoid. walls, sides of buildings, and even the sky will be filled with info from your streams and of course advertisements too.

then there will be virtual reality. people will have avatars. if you can't physically be with someone then your avatar will take over. got a work meeting? you might be sitting alone in your bedroom but your avatar will be in a virtual space interacting with others. want to watch a movie with friends? all your avatars could join a room and watch it together.

there will be games and lots of shit to buy. VR Chat is probably the closest thing to it right now. it'll be like playstation home or second life too. it's a virtual world that companies want you to escape into. they want full control over your entire life. they will do all they can to get you addicted. it will be an escape from reality.

i can't say i'm looking forward to it. the world is gonna become a much more awful place if everyone falls for it.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Confused me too when I saw those "metaverse" comments.

I thought the Metaverse was the facebook thing. Glad I'm not the only one who was confused by it.

Kagero

It’s essentially like any open world game but you can own shit on that land and interact with others that payed enough money to own the land beside you. It’s essentially like the real world but digital. You can do anything you want on that land. You can advertise in it. An only fans chick can sell her digital panties in it if she wants. She can charge money to some lonely guys to see her digital room. You can even sell that land to someone else for 10X the cost if they are willing to pay. It’s absurd but not really that hard to grasp.

Havoc2049

In this case, the metaverse is the convergence of the physical and digital universe and media surrounding the Xbox platform (consoles, PC, tablet, phone, etc.) and specific games.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
People imagine Matrix/Ready Player One but it's just not gonna happen, no company will provide the ultimate digital product that can do basically anything so everyone will want to join. We'll end up calling metaverse everything we do online/digitally in separate apps, games, services, whether for entertainment or professionally, etc., like Web 3 or whatever. But sure, some folks will still be scammed by some Second Life VR crap that will also be numerous, each with its own community, NFTs, land masses to buy and be all around a shit product, shit service, made to money grab, but those into it will always pimp it as the best thing ever in much the same way. Noone called Second Life or even some super popular MMORPGs that did seem to offer enough of a fantasy life for some to get lost in a metaverse but nowadays everyone making anything that has some online capability and customisability calls their crap it. Hell, Facebook that made it trendy to call such stuff metaverse have only shown some rudimentary RecRoom knock off that is even less fun and capable (never mind stuff like VRChat) and is still segmented between Home, Worlds and Workgroups apps!

Not to mention so many companies trying their hand at it don't even attempt to make something compelling, a utopia if you will, but rather convert all the worst aspects of the real world into the digital where they could be aleviated, like scarcity of products, classes, etc., just for money. And some somehow get excited for that, because slaving away in and/or for one life isn't enough, you gotta to it in/for two. Anyway, it's just marketing at this point, started by Facebook taking the Meta name on and claiming to work towards that and maintained by the scammer crypto blockchain NFT bros.

Last edited:

sscamaro1967

Neo Member
Its most likely will become a VR/AR hellscape of advertisements and micro transactions. Like... ordering taco bell with your VR headset and get a your free virtual taco hat. Then you can virtually sit in the delivery persons car as you watch him drive your food to you. Then you eat your real taco while you wear your virtual taco hat ( and your vr face box) all while you kill people in Grand Theft Auto 7
OMG, that is so funny. Sounds like that scene from the movie Idiocracy.

This meta thing is probably the new buzzword all CEOs in the world learned last year. You know, they need to justify their fat paychecks with some action. In 2017-2019 was what? Blockchain?

M16

metaverse just means a a virtual universe(its imaginary) of platforms that deal with virtual goods(stuff that doesnt phisically exist)
these examples are all part of the "metaverse"
minecraft: create,share,buy virtual worlds/items.
vr: take part in a virtual environment
crypto: buy/sell virtual currency
nft: buy/sell/create virtual assets

Top Bottom