• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Does anyone actually like American scones?

Status
Not open for further replies.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
I made the thread because they were giving away scone samples at Starbucks. Although to be fair, all Starbucks pastries are terrible

Still it wasn't the first scone I've had and I can honestly say I've never enjoyed one.
Yeah American food from a UK place doesn't sound so good. The Starbucks factor doubles it.

It's like when you go to a Chinese buffet and see chicken nuggets there. Please fucking do not take the chicken nuggets from the Chinese buffet.

Oh fuck, its Ultimoo.

ITT I learn that when UK folks talk scones they're actually talking about biscuits.

Talking about what YOU call biscuits. Also, it's not just the UK, it's Commonwealth nations. Such nations also have a very different meaning for "biscuit", which is what you would probably call a cookie (Comm. nations have "Cookies" being a subset of "biscuits", referring to sweetened and slightly softer baked products). Australian biscuits are best biscuits:

australian-cuisine-an2kbdj.jpg

(ANZAC biscuits)

timtam2_thumb5b25dmwa21.jpg

(Tim Tams)

So no Scone recipes? Don't fail me, GAF. Sunday is my cheat day, and my body is READY!

(uk scones with clotted cream, jam, and earl grey is delicious)

stock-photo-traditional-english-cream-tea-of-scones-clotted-cream-strawberry-jam-and-a-cup-of-tea-these-are-97589525.jpg
We call them biscuits with jelly in Amurrica.

stock-photo-fresh-homemade-buttermilk-biscuits-with-strawberry-jelly-35459551.jpg

Where I live, this is what we call scones. Much better than the stuff in the OP. Sunday brunch staple, might have to get some later.

IMG_1945.jpg
Looks good enough to try. Do you have a recipe?

VALIS

I haven't been to an Au Bon Pain in years as the one I used to frequent was destroyed in 9/11, but I'd get their orange scone for breakfast almost every morning for a couple years. Thing was delish. I assume it's an "American" scone.

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
I had a biscuit from america once and while it does look like a UK scone it didn't really taste the same. The texture was more bready. In the UK the best freshly baked scones will be slightly crunchy on the outside and more crumbly inside.

Scones with clotted cream and jam, it really is absolutely amazing. American scones are not even in the same ballpark, other than the name and probable related recipes they dont even belong in the same sweet goods category.

Kal

I hate scones (UKer here). They are very dense and crumbly, and require lots of jam,cream and liquid to eat. And a scone is different from an American Biscuit although they look similar.

LadyRiven

Totally agree with OP. I thought scones were tasteless husks until I had one at a proper British tea room with clotted cream and jam. Oh my gooodddd. One of the most delicious things I've ever tasted, truly.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
America has scones? I thought their obsession with ours whenever they pull a Queen's English stereotype was because it was a novelty unique to Britain like Fish 'n' Chips. And now I find they use the word biscuit to describe one particular tea dunkable like we use cookie to describe one specific type.

So in the UK cookies are a type of biscuit but not all biscuits are cookies.
In the US biscuits are a type of cookie but not all cookies are biscuits.

Am I right in that understanding?

Log4Girlz

America has scones? I thought their obsession with ours whenever they pull a Queen's English stereotype was because it was a novelty unique to Britain like Fish 'n' Chips. And now I find they use the word biscuit to describe one particular tea dunkable like we use cookie to describe one specific type.

So in the UK cookies are a type of biscuit but not all biscuits are cookies.
In the US biscuits are a type of cookie but not all cookies are biscuits.

Am I right in that understanding?

US biscuits are a type of bread. Nothing like what you use the word for, ever.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Come on, we all know the rule.

When a biscuit (the UK definition) goes stale it turns soft. When a cake goes stale it turns hard.

The US 'biscuit' falls under the 'cake' umbrella.

Zutroy

When I lived in Georgia they use to have biscuits and gravy, which I miss and haven't had since my return to the UK. The gravy was thick and I'm sure had sausage and maybe bacon in it. Any gaffer have a good recipe for it? I'm gonna try make it myself.

Log4Girlz

When I lived in Georgia they use to have biscuits and gravy, which I miss and haven't had since my return to the UK. The gravy was thick and I'm sure had sausage and maybe bacon in it. Any gaffer have a good recipe for it? I'm gonna try make it myself.

So you are from the UK originally?

Log4Girlz

I'm being particlarly harsh, as my only experience of American biscuits is from Popeye's. Simultanously bland and rank. The chicken was merely bland. :p

I've never really liked ones from fast food places. So, if that's your only experience, then yeah they aren't much to write home about lol.

Big-E

There is a small bakery chain back home that does American style scones but puts blueberries and white chocolate in them. Not a fan of white chocolate normally but this combination works.

Flaky layered biscuits are the only biscuits in this household
0fbdb_biscuitsj8ika.jpg

That looks like a weird pastry/cake hybrid

I've never really liked ones from fast food places. So, if that's your only experience, then yeah they aren't much to write home about lol.

It was a lesson for me in not believing hype, especially when it comes out of my cousin's lying mouth. I'd rather have a KFC than Popeye's, although I do quite like KFC so its not saying much

lenovox1

http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2007/09/biscuits_and_gr/

The Pioneer Woman has always been my favorite place for the down home stuff. But making gravy couldn't be easier. You learn how to make it once, you can make it for anything out of any meat's drippings.

I'm sure y'all don't have Pillsbury canned biscuits at the grocery store, but she has a recipe for the homemade ones on her site. They're easier than making scones, because you don't have to deal with cold butter or over mixing.

CTE

The gravy is just pork sausage browned and crumbled. Then you add a few spoons of flour to the fat that comes out of the sausage to make a roux and then add a cup of milk to make a white gravy. Season with salt and pepper. lots of pepper. Maybe a little extra butter if you want. Add more milk if it's too thick. You don't want wallpaper paste.

No bacon.

As for the biscuits. Alton Brown had a good recipe. Should be you first result when Googling "Southern biscuits".

Zutroy

So you are from the UK originally?
Yeah, I just lived in Georgia for a year on a scholarship.
http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2007/09/biscuits_and_gr/

The Pioneer Woman has always been my favorite place for the down home stuff. But making gravy couldn't be easier. You learn how to make it once, you can make it for anything out of any meat's drippings.

I'm sure y'all don't have Pillsbury canned biscuits at the grocery store, but she has a recipe for the homemade ones on her site. They're easier than making scones, because you don't have to deal with cold butter or over mixing.

The gravy is just pork sausage browned and crumbled. Then you add a few spoons of flour to the fat that comes out of the sausage to make a roux and then add a cup of milk to make a white gravy. Season with salt and pepper. lots of pepper. Maybe a little extra butter if you want. Add more milk if it's too thick. You don't want wallpaper paste.

No bacon.

As for the biscuits. Alton Brown had a good recipe. Should be you first result when Googling "Southern biscuits".
Thanks guys, I'll give them ago!

According to Wikipedia, we do have "digestives". They're apparently the cookie part of a Twix bar.

Well, chocolate coated ones, at least.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom