• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Does anyone else feel bothered by how anti-police things have gotten online?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
So, from the op, I get that criticism of police is worse than police misconduct. I'd this like saying, people who point out racism are the real racists? You have to contort yourself just to ignore valid criticism? People are anti police because they break the law and face no consequences. They have become the very thing they oppose: a gang.
What in the OP makes you feel like that's what the message is?

The reason there is anti-police sentiment in the first place is because the police as a whole are earning that sentiment.

_80052406_025277248-1.jpg

By job standards in the US?

It's much less dangerous than being in garbage collection or fishing based on the raw numbers. Hell, taxi drivers have a higher risk of fatal injury.

What was the story behind this photo again?

Cat

I don't. The past year has been...illuminating. It is my hope that the work being done now and has been going on for hundreds of years amounts to a better world for those hurting. There's a lot of work done on this subject by activists, writers, artists on what's happening here. While I have still only read The New Jim Crow on this list, I'd recommend starting here. Not on this list or on this one, but the author of the second list regularly recommends Fatal Invention by Dorothy Roberts, which I hope to read in the near future.

Nah. The police have been engaging in a campaign of racial terrorism. Harsh rhetoric is the least we can do as a society.

Also, the idea that civilization would collapse without a police force is one of those commonly held beliefs that's never challenged or tested by even a modicum of rational analysis. It also has no basis in historical fact.

They all turned their backs when Mayor DeBlasio spoke at a police funeral. The guy with the glasses is one of those "good apples" you always hear about.

Aselith

This.

Selection bias makes isolated incidents seem common, and help cultivate the view that the police all over the country are psychopaths.

Why don't people make a thread whenever I take a call? I do good work here, people. But the ONE TIME I go on a racist, homophobic rant suddenly everyone is going crazy.

If anything, we should be upset at just how much pro-police online rhetoric exists. With every new incident of police abuse, huge numbers of people post their delight that cops are continuing to systematically persecute black people. Painting this as some kind of situation where the whole internet is picking on the poor beleaguered police is disingenuous in the extreme. U.S. police enforcement of white supremacy has massive support from those who benefit from it, and it's what allows these abuses to go completely unpunished.

Note the smiling faces:

People often forget (or rather the information is suppressed) that lynching was and is a popular public spectacle. Lynchings used to be put on postcards. Now we have body cameras.

YoungHav

Banned
Lynchings were also advertised in newspapers well ahead of time. How come police didn't intervene to stop them when it was right there in the papers days ahead? And people will pick their butts looking stupid as to why black people in this country don't trust police smh.

Fugitive Slave Acts... who do you think enforced them? You think Joe Six Pack and his friends had the authority to interrogate whether a black person was free or an escaped slave? No... the police in "free" states did that and sent people right back to slavery. And people wonder why black people never trusted law enforcement smh.

"My great great grandfather came from [insert European country] with 2 cents, lint, and an owl pellet in his pocket, grew up poor and had a great relationship with police!!" -- lucky you!

Aurongel

Harsh vocal criticism is not only warranted but is necessary to spreading the message to the voting (white) majority that can make a difference. Change can't happen without it, plain and simple.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!

The mayor, who has a black son, had the audacity to acknowledge that he had to have a discussion with his son about how the color of his skin will likely have an impact on potential encounters with police.

The NYPD overreacted to an obscene, almost satirical degree. It was absolutely shameful and embarrassing.

Live a lifestyle that won't attract the police, and you should be pretty much OK with everything.
I'm not sure what's worse: your insinuation that people who have problems with cops are bringing it on themselves or your apparent ignorance of things like "walking while Black"
and "driving while Black"
You don't seem to understand and appreciate the fact that many departments make harassment of black citizens a priority, regardless of how the black person behaves.

Griss

I am as white as the driven snow and have never had a good encounter with american law enforcement. I've never had a bad encounter with police anywhere else in the world.

There is something intrinsically wrong with how the culture of power there or something, and then when you add institutional racism into the mix it goes from something unpleasant to an actual disaster.

Any criticism of the american police short of wishing harm on them is fine by me, considering what we've seen over the past few years.

zeopower6

Not bothered by it at all really. Not a fan of the local law enforcement and haven't had encounters with officers that would make me think otherwise. It seems like as the years go by, there's always something about law enforcement overstepping their boundaries on the local news. A big recent one was the Kelly Thomas murder in Fullerton... and guess what? The officers were found not guilty of all charges. >_>

EulaCapra

I feel you, OP. For every horrible police brutality case out there, there's like hundreds of smaller stories of the police actually protecting and serving that's only a minor headline. I tune out many Off-Topic GAF threads because it reads like many posters have given up trying to sift the good cop stories from the bad and just lump them all up together.

I feel you, OP. For every horrible police brutality case out there, there's like hundreds of smaller stories of the police actually protecting and serving that's only a minor headline. I tune out many Off-Topic GAF threads because it reads like many posters have given up trying to sift the good cop stories from the bad and just lump them all up together.

Why do you feel that police doing their job should be a major headline? Nice to know you're like most Americans and acknowledge police brutality exists and decide to ignore it anyway.

benjipwns

Banned
It sucks that the news only publishes stories about my daily commute when it causes mass amounts of death.

A big recent one was the Kelly Thomas murder in Fullerton... and guess what? The officers were found not guilty of all charges. >_>
Look, being caught on tape beating a mentally ill homeless man to death is no reason to convict the officers!

Note the smiling faces:

People often forget (or rather the information is suppressed) that lynching was and is a popular public spectacle. Lynchings used to be put on postcards. Now we have body cameras.
Is that dude trying to look like Hitler on purpose?

Shengar

Police and the institutions that enable their bad behavior have more than earned their criticism. Reform is needed, and many times devil's advocate appeals in polices' defense are unsubtly trying to skirt the issue. No, not all police are corrupt. Most police in general aren't corrupt. Hell, many problem police aren't even what we'd call corrupt, so much as products of a culture that trains them to view the public as the enemy.

That said, what bothers me isn't criticism of police, it's the complete surrender to emotion and sensationalism that drives so much anti-police sentiment, especially on this forum. We've built up an environment here where posting something as innocuous as "I'll wait for more information before coming to a conclusion" is oftentimes labeled as racist dogwhistling when it's nothing more than prudence. We're so eager to jump on the anti-police bandwagon that we rake even justified shootings over the coals. In matters as serious as these, we should never give either party the benefit of the doubt, but if the injured party is a minority it's granted without an ounce of skepticism. I steer clear of any thread involving police not because I want to avoid the unpleasantness, but because I know there's no discussion to be had - just universal agreement that the shooting was unjustified, and to what extent the cop is culpable.
This is applicable to almost any sensitive issue thread on GAF, which is a sad state of affair.

I'm not bothered by it, but Gaf OT has more articles about cops doing something, usually bad, than any other topic, and every story seemingly gets a thread and usually gets a thread before the facts are known. The threads also universally all begin by suggesting that cops are abusing power, and when evidence comes out suggesting that -- maybe -- this case wasn't an abuse of power but cops doing their job, the OP is never updated, the title is never updated, and the impression seems "oh, just another cop abusing power." When facts are brought up pages and pages later, the OP will defend himself "Oh, the facts weren't known when I created this, and I just took the initial news report." Okay, well stop treating NeoGaf.com like your personal fame news repository, because it isn't.

An example of this was a thread 2 months ago where a hammer wielding mad man was attacking people in New York City, and an NYC cop shot the man while he was attacking someone. The man had already hospitalized a number of victims, but the title was something like "NYT: NYC Cop Shoots Man," or something, which wasn't even the NYT article title (which was something more like "NYC Cop Shoots Hammer Wielding Man."). The first page had a smattering of posts that are typical assumptions of an abuse of power and then other posts that are like "Thread title should be: Officer saves people's lives." But the title is the title, and when people are scanning thread titles that's what they see, not the full story.

Now, I don't think that people shouldn't bring up police abuse because police abuse is real and there are serious problems with police forces in the US (and abroad). But, NeoGaf is not a news service and the software of the website is not setup to be a news service. We can't update thread titles as more information comes in (mods can, but only by request or when one feels they should). OPs have no pressure or responsibility to update the original post with more accurate information, or two sides of a story, and many OPs defend their initial innaccurate thread title by saying "well that's all we knew at the time, that a cop shot a man." When the NYT publishes a story "Man shot by cop," they can update it immediately when more information comes in, and they do because they have a journalistic motivation to report impartial news. NeoGaf threads and the people who post them do not do that, so it typically spreads misinformation.
Jesus, is the 2nd paragraph true? I expect GAF to be better than this smh

Many cops I've met have been kind, great civil servants doing their jobs.

The problem, is if you run into an officer that either makes a mistakes that costs the life of a citizen or abuses their power with the same outcome, there is little to no justice or restitution for that citizen or their family. There are biased systems in place preventing that justice. This is before you get to other officers, who will not break rank when they notice a co-worker do something abusive or illegal or who may even back those actions up with lies.

Essentially, due to the lack of institutional accountability, a number of bad actors have poisoned a profession.

Officer gets jumpy when they think a citizen has a weapon? That's understandable. An officer not facing any justice for harming a citizen after making a poor call? That's not good at all.

Punish bad actors and the issue goes away.

Many cops I've met have been kind, great civil servants doing their jobs.

The problem, is if you run into an officer that either makes a mistakes that costs the life of a citizen or abuses their power with the same outcome, there is little to no justice or restitution for that citizen or their family. There are biased systems in place preventing that justice. This is before you get to other officers, who will not break rank when they notice a co-worker do something abusive or illegal or who may even back those actions up with lies.

Essentially, due to the lack of institutional accountability, a number of bad actors have poisoned a profession.

Officer gets jumpy when they think a citizen has a weapon? That's understandable. An officer not facing any justice for harming a citizen after making a poor call? That's not good at all.

Punish bad actors and the issue goes away.

Thats the joke really. Prosecute over aggressive and dangerous cops. Actually find them guilty of their heinous behavior.

No more people arguing. But no... that makes too much sense.

YoungHav

Banned
Live a lifestyle that won't attract the police, and you should be pretty much OK with everything.
LOL you didn't think before posting this did you? I am a black attorney and I've been racially profiled twice by police. Tell me what lifestyle changes you would suggest?

benjipwns

Banned
LOL you didn't think before posting this did you? I am a black attorney and I've been racially profiled twice by police. Tell me what lifestyle changes you would suggest?
Well, a black attorney would be a danger to police. Especially if you're a defense attorney.

jmood88

Do you applaud everyone who does the job they get paid to do?

IrishNinja

No. The pendulum is just starting to swing this direction so you better get ready for it if you don't like hearing it. As you know, this open backlash towards police is a recent development that is not going to be slowing down anytime soon, and I perceive the current extremism against police as a necessary part of the process.

yuuup, couldn't agree more - frankly, it's long ovedue

No problem with the police because I choose to pay attention to laws, and unfavorable situations that may involve the police. Would I go to a block party involving over 200 people? Probably not. Would I attend a protest? Probably not. If the police did decide to pull me over, would I run? No.

this is highkey about the grossest post ive read on GAF all week
Live a life shook to death of abuse of authority and rationalize it online folks

i am unagi

Neo Member
I actually had a brush with LAPD yesterday.

It seemed like they were going out of their way to prove that they are level headed and out to do good.

They were going out of their way to change the online negative perception. I think in time more officers will engage in this behavior and the backlash will die down.

All the negative backlash actually invokes change. Just think about the animal rights movement and the "food revolution." Ten years ago no one cared and now Sea World and McDonald's are struggling more than ever. The main catalyst was just starting a discussion about the issues on social media.

In this scenario, the officers will change for the better (hopefully), and there will no longer be a need for backlash.

NastyBook

No problem with the police because I choose to pay attention to laws, and unfavorable situations that may involve the police. Would I go to a block party involving over 200 people? Probably not. Would I attend a protest? Probably not. If the police did decide to pull me over, would I run? No.

And when they pull you over for no reason but to harass you and yours? Then what? There are plenty of minorities that do dick all and still get shitted on by the police. This way of thinking is so hilariously fraudulent.

CHEEZMO™

Obsidian fan
Just avoid interacting with police and you wont risk being brutalised/possibly murdered I mean omg how hard is it stop complaining goshhh

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Aren't police trying to be othered?
They dress the same, drive the same cars in the same livery, present a united front against outsiders, have their own speech pattern and jargon bordering on a different dialect...

Neverwas

some asshole called the cops to my house last week for a potential suicide (that wasn't), and when one of my dogs didn't like one of the officers, the cop tried to pull his gun. a friend from DHS was over at the time, and actually had to intervene. disgusting.

The only problem I really see is that there's not enough reflection and examination of the attitudes of the general public that got us into this mess. I'm not pro-cop, I think that police power is totally out of control. But there's so little media coverage of the decades of mass calls for law and order, tough-on-crime policies. I hope the people who went along with those are admitting some fault, and not just blaming the cops they enabled.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom