• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Does anyone here still like AVGN?

bigdad2007

I still occasionally watch only because I want to support James.

However, even the “good” episodes anymore aren’t really that great anymore.

I think the issue stems from the fact that Mike Metei was such a critical part of the nerd. He was the inspiration for James’ original video. James has admitted he isn’t even that much of a gamer.

It was Mike who would show him and play shitty NES games with him in college. Because Mike was the collector. It was Mike who encouraged James to keep making nerd content at the very beginning. It was Mike who wrote like half the episodes for the first 100 or so (the golden age).It was Mike who was basically the only one of their friend group that really stuck by James and kept acting in the videos.

Mike still owns a portion of Cinnemasicre. He still “helps” find games and I believe write some jokes. I think he like James ran out of really good Nerd content/jokes and wanted to just stream to earn easy money. And since he wasn’t a regular character in AVGN he was able to just take his name off the videos.

Imo they should just do what Jontron does and just make like 3 nerd episodes a year at this point. I think that would give them enough time and content to actually make it better.

My only real question at this point is since James is clearly not into anymore why even make them? Surely he has made enough to not even need to work anymore.

My only answer is that he isn’t very smart with money and their peak popularity was back before YouTube took off and all of the classic stuff is too full of curses to be monitized after the adopcalyspe.

I still watch him, and he is not bad, but he was way more entertaining 10-15 years ago.

TMNT, Zelda 2, Top Gun, Double Vision, Batman games, Rambo, Bug's Bunny birthday, Ghostbusters, NES accessories ect. were great time.

He still makes some cool episode from time to time, though.

Not a huge fan, but his Jaguar CD episode was hilarious, especially when he takes a dump in it cause, you know, it looks like a toilet.

Futaleufu

9c6ec169-ea13-496b-b00f-abf93e2693e8_text.gif

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
I still like it. He has his 'shtick' and he rolls with it.....even if he is older, more successful and not really that angry. Still fun to see older, crappy games.

Reactions: Isa

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
imo, quality went down the shitter when he sold to the land whales. Mike leaving, who really helped writting the episodes and playing the games, didn't help either.

Mike plays the games again though. He is usually credited now for game footage. There was a period when he was gone though. I think in most cases (but not all) you can take a educated guess at what the next AVGN will be by following what Mike is streaming.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Mike plays the games again though. He is usually credited now for game footage. There was a period when he was gone though. I think in most cases (but not all) you can take a educated guess at what the next AVGN will be by following what Mike is streaming.
oh really? didn't know he was back, glad to know they are on good terms again.

tylrdiablos

I grew out of his humour/style many years back. I enjoyed his early stuff (I think?) and have just today noticed he has a podcast which I might give a try.

Top Bottom