• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Does anyone here still like AVGN?

kondorBonk

I wish he would do Board James again.
Guy is a work horse. He clearly has a love for film and I'd support any of his future ventures.

Krathoon

Wow. People really hate that he is simply going bald. He can't be young forever, people.

I guess it is the Pee Wee Herman effect. There is an age limit on the character.

simpatico

The YT algo threw him in my feed a few weeks ago and he had a Soylent sponsorship. I'm not sure if he was aware of the irony and just wanted the money, but I'm sure you could make multiple meme templates from the ad.

He looks like Vader after he took off his helmet now.
vader-unmasked.gif

Anyway, got a kick out of it back in the day. Went to the premiere of the movie, which sucked, and the audio was all fucked up and out of sync just to make the whole experience that much worse.

AGVN is a legend and has had many many great funny videos.

But like anything else it's hard to remain the same level of quality after what, 200 plus episodes?

RZero

Neo Member
Yeah, I was afraid some of those "muh free speech/censorship free" idiots would show up. Oh well.
These guys are fans of the assholish variety. :poop:

On a serious note, the magic is gone.
James doesn't care anymore, the guy has been on autopilot for years.

Mike plays the games and Screenware writes the scripts.
Hell, aside from Zelda and some games that his "muh kids" play, he not even likes videogames anymore.

James is just phoning it in for a paycheck.

Last edited:
No. I do not like the new format. I don’t like the new style. I don’t like the new attitude. I don’t like the new sponsored ads.

I began watching “angry Nintendo nerd” on screw attack back early on. Some of the most entertaining stuff, from the basic “What were they thinking” in Rambo to pile driving Bugs Bunny. The Battletoads episode with Justin was top class.

Last edited:

Crayon

I was never a big fan but I like his videos. He's one of those tubers that's been around so long that it's like an old friend.

Trunx81

His Contra Video was one of his most honest work.

Love the compilations (LJN, Star Wars), although I mostly watch him only when he’s playing something that I know.

On the other hand, I watch GameSack even if I haven’t played 99,9% of the games he’s presenting. It’s just interesting.

KiteGr

Actually I haven't watched in years.
Just like Nostalgia Critic, it feels like he has become a bit to convoluted and is running out of ideas.

I did bought his games though!...

Thank you for posting this because I was also going to point it out. His best content is when he talks about the background of a game in a sort of history lesson-type way(while describing his frustrations as well), as those always age the best.

I never liked the skits and I felt like they were getting longer and longer with Mike and crew.

jayj

Banned
Yeah I generally enjoy his videos and takes, he has a good honest way of guiding you through a game, almost like quick lets plays.

jayj

Banned
Thank you for posting this because I was also going to point it out. His best content is when he talks about the background of a game in a sort of history lesson-type way(while describing his frustrations as well), as those always age the best.

I never liked the skits and I felt like they were getting longer and longer with Mike and crew.
Yeah his skits are usually pretty stupid, I think they hit best when he was younger and they were briefer. In many ways I think he has outgrown his old skit antics.

He actually lived near me and my friends and I tried to knock up for him to say hello but unfortunately he moved about a month before we decided to try it.

I would always see Bootsy walk by where I worked too on his way to the post office. I tried saying, "Hey Bootsy" a couple of times just so I could tell him that I really enjoyed his character and move on but he would never acknowledge me and keep walking because I don't think he wanted to be associated with that character anymore.

Last edited:
  • Empathy
Reactions: RNG

FeralEcho

Yeah I watch his vids occasionally.

One of my all-time favs (timestamp)

I love the way he complains about the devs not using the face buttons for the grapple, it'll never stop being hilarious no matter how many times I'll watch.Or that Ninja Gaiden one with his training to get better....pure gold.

I don't watch him nowadays like i used to in the past... he's clearly done with this project and isnt passionate anymore but his videos have been and forever will be a joy and comfort for me whenever I watch them.He deserves all the respect for how many of our childhoods/teenage years he's made us laugh regardless of how the quality of his videos is nowadays.

FeralEcho

This is one of my favorite episodes. I actually like this game, but it is absurdly hard.

Yup i also liked this game,played it alot when i was a kid and it always bugged me how the name of the enemy was target. But then it's like.... It's your "TARGET" in the game but as a kid I would call him Tarjeit,like in french 😂

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
I always preferred his movie vids but once those stopped being his own work I lost interest entirely.
They stopped when he became 'too busy' with family (which is a validated reason). But that's not why they lost quality. We can all say what we will about Matei but, he was a creative mind which helped with the movies segment. James didn't have everything. What caused it to turn to trash was Screenwave's cheap writing and James simply not really caring much about it anymore. That's his attitude with AVGN now. He's just not there and he's been doing this too long.

I liked the first couple seasons of AVGN, Board James and the first 30 episodes of James & Mike Mondays.

I un-subbed awhile back and sorta hope James goes onto to doing something else for his family and hangs up AVGN (and all the other Cinnemassacre appendages)

fart town usa

Gold Member
I liked him early on but he ran out of steam. Finding out he wasn't really a gamer didn't help. He's one of those guys that played games as a kid and stopped.

I enjoy his movie talk way more than video games. He was way more knowledgeable and passionate. Any channel that gets big production values and brings in a whole bunch of a people, I'm out. That's why I'm still watching someone like Happy Console Gamer. You can watch a video of his from 10 years ago to now and they are still the same. That's comforting.
HCG is the best! I love his energy, can't help but feel great whenever I watch a video of his.

I don't dislike him by any stretch, but I don't go out of my way to watch his stuff either like I used to. I recently just watched a compilation of his first few years of "Monster Madness" which I find endearing and nostalgic. Haven't watched anything modern from him in a while though.

JPSLotus97T

I remember first stumbling across his stuff 19-20 years ago. It was great at that time because he said so many of the things gamers felt about those 80s and early 90s NES games. We were all in the same boat back then. You got NES games for birthday or Christmas presents. Or you played them when you rented one from the local video store. Many of us had the thoughts that some of these games really sucked, but when these were the only games you had to play, you learned to persevere with them. You overlooked all the rage-inducing bullshit they contained. He pulled the veil back on a lot of these titles for those of us who grew to hate some of them for the outright stupid bullshit they included.

That being said, I got banned off his subreddit several years back for pointing out his schtick had gotten old and tired. He's got a family and kids now, and it shows because he's mellowed out considerably from what he started out as. That's fine, I've got no qualms about that. But it's time to retire the gimmick. It's overstayed his welcome by a number of years now. I stopped watching because it doesn't meet any need of mine any longer.

Holammer

I still enjoy the AVGN stuff, but the real meat and potatoes nowadays is when Rolfe unleashes his inner cinephile and talks about movies and tv instead.
He starts to radiate a gemütlich aura when he talks about his real passion besides games.

Krathoon

They did have some accidental plagiarism. Whoops. One of the people they hired cut and pasted too much.

Last edited:

Krathoon

Yeah. Mike is the one that really plays the games. You can tell on his streams. He was the driving force behind the show.

I assumed they managed to find some other video game nut to replace him. I am curious as to who replaced him because they seem to be doing a good job.

You really get the impression that Mike was always there pushing James to make the show happen.

Krathoon

Now it seems like Screenwave is what is pushing James forward, but letting James be the idea man.

Really, it seems like a pretty good relationship.

Fbh

Nah.
Loved his videos back in the day but like a year ago I watched some of his newer stuff and it feels very forced. He didn't seem particularly into it, he sounded tired and bored and just gives off the vibe of someone who doesn't enjoy doing this stuff anymore but they still keep going because it pays the bills.

Krathoon

I think that is why James does the movie stuff and the band. That is the stuff he really enjoys.

It balances things out. The AVGN is more of a necessary evil. I think he still likes it on some level. He doesn't loathe it or anything.

AVGN lost its spark after the movie and lost its soul after James is to lazy to get a new Shirt so he wears that white jean looking one.

• LOL

Krathoon

He definitely went into the right career. He got on the internet at just the right time. Just before YouTube made it a shit show.

Hestar69

yeah of course! His new stuff most times isn't as good as his old stuff and sometimes feels forced,but I Still enjoy his videos mostly.

He's like a rock band from the 80's. His older stuff is great and stands as a landmark for the genre, but is clearly slumming it through his newer stuff because it's the only thing he can do.

• Thoughtful

Laieon

I don't dislike him, but I his shtick got old to me years ago. I just feel like I outgrew it.

James himself when he's not playing a character seems like a cool enough guy though. If anything I like videos where he's clearly excited to be talking about whatever he's doing or playing instead of what he did in the AVGN glory days. His movie content (his horror stuff specifically) is far more interesting than his game content nowadays.

Last edited:

Krathoon

He was churning out a bunch of other videos in college. The AVGN episodes were the only ones that really took off. He had a pretty big portfolio. He even put them on dvd.

I still like it, but more as an almost weird facts around games thing. The gags that were the main draw at the beginning got run into the ground after a while. But he at least he seemed to step off the silly gag gas pedal on the more recent episodes (maybe just Mike leaving the production).

Last edited:

Ozzie666

New AVGN video went up returning to Jekyll and Hyde. It was was well done with a lot of extra effort, a return to form. He can still crank out good content compared to what a lot of other you tubers are doing. He still deserves some respect.

Top Bottom