• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Does Luke Cage have like....real fans?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elginer

I like the idea of a guy who came from a rough past suddenly given unbreakable skin and strength. He's a strong and durable hero with a helluva lot more perspective than most heroes in that he knows what its like to be living in a rough situation and to fall in with the wrong crowd. Someone who stands up for his neighborhood to try and make it the kind of place people should be able to live in and has the power to make it stick is a really good character to have.

Avengers level power and street level perspective. Its nice to have a character whose there for the public and he himself is public. He basically puts himself out in public with no mask and tells the things that threaten the day to day folks "come at me if you think your hard enough". That's a good character worth following and I hope his series reflects that.

This so damn much. This is why I always loved Cage.

This thread made me read Luke Cage Noir.

That's a damn good mini. Remember: free month of Marvel Comics Unlimited with the code ULTRON.

Durden77

I'd liked him in these..

The Pulse. 14 issues. Jessica Jones and Luke Cage are major players in this run.

If you're poor or just frugal you can read them for free thanks to Marvel's current promotion:

1 month free ~ http://marvel.com/ultron

I didn't know anything about Luke Cage before reading these but I thought he was fantastic.

This thread made me read Luke Cage Noir.

That's a damn good mini. Remember: free month of Marvel Comics Unlimited with the code ULTRON.

Oh hell yes. I got a free month of Marvel Digital when I bought MvC3 and actually loved it. Dunno why I didn't keep it going, probably was just broke. I'm totally doing this.

Marvel been pushing Luke Cage? i dont see nothing unless its comics which i dont read

Like others have said he's going to be featured on Netflix and such, but Marvel also subtly and smartly promotes characters they have bigger plans for through other forms, mainly games. He's been fairly prominently featured in their games of late, to the point where I knew they were up to something, even before I heard about the show.

jwhit28

I'm another person that really liked him after New Avengers. I'm not sure how well he will work in the more grounded Netflix universe. I thought he was at his best playing the straight man to the rest of the crazy super hero stuff going on around him. He is the only one that realizes how ridiculous situations are but goes along. Like when Cage believed Spidey without a question after the DocOc mind swap thing.

I'm not like a real fan, but I think he's cool. I'm excited for his Netflix appearance. And whenever he shows up in a comic I'm reading, I'm like...

w2C2kA6.gif

That's exactly me. I've got a definite fondness for the character. I like reading him whenever he's around. Can't wait to see him live action. It probably helps that Daredevil is my favorite and I love JJ and Iron Fist. Basically gimme Bendisflix.

Marvel been pushing Luke Cage? i dont see nothing unless its comics which i dont read
He's had a big role in Mighty Avengers for the past year or two as team leader (though Captain Falcon unseated him).

He is in the A.K.A. Jessica Jones show and he will get his own show after that one.

Luke and Jessica are basically my most anticipated additions to the Marvel Cinematic Universe. I'm more excited to see their series than I am basically any other Marvel offering but Civil War - and I'm not sure if Civil War has that much of a lead, really.

A teenage version of Luke is also part of Spidey's team in the Ultimate Spider-Man cartoon (Along with Iron Fist, White Tiger, and the not Richard Rider Nova)

(Not really sure how Luke can work as a kid, but I'm sure that's way down the list of things that series didn't fully think through)

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
I feel like he's in desperate need of a good costume hook. I get that regular-looking street clothes fit the ethos of the character, and the 70's tiara look clearly doesn't work anymore, but superheroes fundamentally need some sort of persistent iconography that makes them immediately recognizable. This plain white wife-beater/plain black leather jacket thing is too far into the "I'm just the man on the street" thing. Those are outfits for the faceless background character filling in the margins, not a superhero.

It doesn't have to be tights and spandex; A t-shirt with a snappy logo/design, a unique jacket he wears most of the time, an omnipresent color theme to his clothes. Something where his face could be out of panel and you'd still say "Hey, there's Luke Cage."

His Ultimate Spider-man cartoon costume's pretty good, but it's too much in the other direction. The black and gold color theming should be tightly grasped onto by the mainline comics, but adapted into a middle ground that's not so overtly "buy the action figure!"

Bleepey

I feel like he's in desperate need of a good costume hook. I get that regular-looking street clothes fit the ethos of the character, and the 70's tiara look clearly doesn't work anymore, but superheroes fundamentally need some sort of persistent iconography that makes them immediately recognizable. This plain white wife-beater/plain black leather jacket thing is too far into the "I'm just the man on the street" thing. Those are outfits for the faceless background character filling in the margins, not a superhero.

It doesn't have to be tights and spandex; A t-shirt with a snappy logo/design, a unique jacket he wears most of the time, an omnipresent color theme to his clothes. Something where his face could be out of panel and you'd still say "Hey, there's Luke Cage."

His Ultimate Spider-man cartoon costume's pretty good, but it's too much in the other direction. The black and gold color theming should be tightly grasped onto by the mainline comics, but adapted into a middle ground that's not so overtly "buy the action figure!"

He wears a yellow t shirt.

I love his relationship with Jessica (Booty call -> Love of his life), and can't wait to see him later this year/next year on Netflix. They're very similar characters really in a way they take unextraordinary powers and make them interesting purely through their own personalities.

Probably been posted already, but him throwing shade at Tony in Civil War is great too.

3304221-0401651498-Luke-.jpg

Kreed

3448806-9697262678-28873.jpg

This guy. Marvel has tons of characters, and while I might not love them all, I can usually understand each one's appeal.

Except....Luke Cage, In all my years of loving this universe, I've just never understood his appeal. His design is boring. His powers are boring (and seemingly redundant). His personality and traits (from what I've seen) are boring. He's just fucking boring.

Now I will say I don't know a lot about him. He popped up very rarely in my stack of comics, and I haven't kept up with comics in quite a while (although I'm starting to read Secret War, first story I've read since Doomwar), so maybe there's something that makes him tick that I don't know about.

I dunno. What I'm wondering is, are there people out there that are like IN to Luke Cage? Like, want posters and figures of specifically him and shit? If there are, I'd love to hear from you and why he's so awesome. Because especially latley, Marvel seems to be pushing him even harder, and I just don't get it. Not once have I played a Marvel game with him in it and thought, "WOW! I can't wait to play as Luke Cage!!!"

So why not do some more research on the character to find out what makes him appealing before making assumptions about the character not having fans with the little knowledge you have? Hell, he's getting a show on Netflix. If I was in your position that fact alone would have told me "Ok, 'someone' must like this character for Marvel to be producing a show about him".

pants

Not specifically a fan, but dont dislike him. Sometimes it's nice to be neutral about a char, this way I wont put up with shit I would for other chars.

Durden77

So why not do some more research on the character to find out what makes him appealing before making assumptions about the character not having fans with the little knowledge you have? Hell, he's getting a show on Netflix. If I was in your position that fact alone would have told me "Ok, 'someone' must like this character for Marvel to be producing a show about him".

That was the entire point in this thread like I said right after what you bolded. I've researched the character some before but still couldn't find his appeal. I needed to hear from his fans, which I assumed he had tucked away, not that he didn't, and now I understand him much better.

GraveHorizon

poop meter feature creep
Luke Cage is a black man who went to jail for a crime he didn't commit and underwent a Steve Rogers-style experience in order to get out early. Once out, he became a hero for hire; he'll help, but you need to pay up. Like a for-hire version of the Equalizer. Then he cleaned up his community. He doesn't take shit from authority. He doesn't care if you know who he is. He cares about the little guy.

Luke Cage is the ultimate black hero. People may think that's Black Panther, but he's the far-off aspiration. Luke Cage is the guy you could be. A black man who doesn't have to fear the issues of the inner city. And Marvel knew it from the beginning.

80085de29539208dc61f1f2241e1ded2.jpg

That shitty first costume? Pure promotion, baby.

Luke-Cage-1.jpg

Vietnam War? Bro hated that too.
scn_0006.jpg

Doctor Doom? Fuck your couch.
Luke-Cage-money-1.jpg

Tony Stark is a jackboot now? Cage don't care.
c2feeef6_NewAvengers1-22b.jpeg

He goes to super jail? No problem, he's got friends.
na1a.jpg

And Luke Cage doesn't forget about normal people.
NA-press01.jpg

Or making a change.
comic-pow-mighty-avengers-luke-cage.png

Bro, if you don't love Luke Cage it's because you don't know Luke Cage.

That's a great summary, thank you. I'm now a fan of Luke Cage.

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
he was big when he first came out 40 years ago his solo, his guest stars and then his duo book with Iron Fist are forever a part of the marvel fabric. He has recently been on the upswing again with his 00's books and avengers roles being popular. When he was made he was big along with the Heroes for Hire, Punisher, DD, SHang Chi, Iron Fist, Ghost Rider...anything that was a martial arts ,action film, supernatural, or a crime drama type stuff was pretty big in that bronze age with the exception of the x men they did their own thing.

jmood88

Why does a superhero need any of that? I'm perfectly fine with a dude fighting crime in a wife beater.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
One of the funnier things i remember from some comics i read (i forget which series) but it involved Luke Cage, Spider-man, and Electro. When Electro gets caught Cage asks Spider-man how he can hit him without getting shocked. Spider-man tells him that he puts webbing on his fists. Luke holds out his fights and goes "Web me up." Electro then faints. Cage has these webbed up mitten hands now and is told he has to wait a few hours for it to come off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom